Tempestas

Seaview Pico – An Old School Cheerleader - New scape, new corals

Tempestas
10 hours ago, MetaTank said:

I mean...I like mussels. Steamed, sauteed with garlic and wine, bbq'd, baked with japanese Mayo on it and garnished with bonito, green onion and tobiko roe... Yum! 😋

Only two main problems I see with this:

1. I am a vegetarian, so I would likely vom it all out.

2. I would be cooking my very pretty colourful mushroom, which I don't think would taste very nice either.

• Haha 3

Tempestas

The battle between the mushroom and the mussel continues..

Hold the Door!!!

1493733205_IMG_67382copy.thumb.jpg.aa99dd859e393e92a9737e948ef3706d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

Tempestas

So we've been hit by a power outage today. Joy of joys...

Not too sure if it's load shedding or an ordinary power outage. The news doesn't seem to have anything about the main power utiity.

I've done the below in the meantime. Just not sure if I should crack open the heat-pack I bought to trial and use it.

1254557334_IMG_6757copy.thumb.jpg.e10932d3f0a98bc490af2f3b3875e691.jpg

I also don't have power for breakfast or lunch. Coffeeeeeee....

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Tigahboy

Sorry to hear about the power.  But you did an awesome job of wrapping that pico!  Hope all goes well (but I suspect it will).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tempestas

🤦‍♂️

So the power's back. 0,4 degrees Celcius drop in just under an hour with the wrapping.

Unfortunately I need to leave for work in 5 mins, and given that my shifts are about 12 hours, I cracked open the heat pack. Oh well. Now I have to decide if I should unwrap the pico or leave it in case there's more outages during the day.

• Like 1

Wonderboy

"coffeeeeeee" lmao

I'm sure everything will be just fine however you left it   :]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wingy

You don't have a back up plan for coffee?  😯

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tempestas
On 7/3/2019 at 9:59 AM, Wonderboy said:

"coffeeeeeee" lmao

I'm sure everything will be just fine however you left it   :]

I decided to leave it wrapped up. Came home to a cold heat pack (that's meant to last 18 hours). Thankfully all the corals just looked like they'd been sleeping. Only thing that might have happened is increased evaporation. Maybe.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:13 PM, Wingy said:

You don't have a back up plan for coffee?  😯

Of course I do! Landed up buying coffee from a coffee shop on the way to work. But I do like making my own coffee, mainly because these "baristas" often don't have much of a clue on how to actually make a proper cup. Sadly Father Coffee doesn't have a branch in this city.

• Like 2

Ratvan
1 hour ago, Tempestas said:

I decided to leave it wrapped up. Came home to a cold heat pack (that's meant to last 18 hours). Thankfully all the corals just looked like they'd been sleeping. Only thing that might have happened is increased evaporation. Maybe.

Of course I do! Landed up buying coffee from a coffee shop on the way to work. But I do like making my own coffee, mainly because these "baristas" often don't have much of a clue on how to actually make a proper cup. Sadly Father Coffee doesn't have a branch in this city.

Good news, glad to see it made it through another outage. 

Tempestas

What a crazy week it's been.

Work landed up being exhausting, and on Saturday I finally managed to get my hands on some Red Sea Salt (the LFS has been out for weeks). I was going to water change on Saturday but my work colleague convinced me to help her set up a betta tank which is now currently cycling.

So on Sunday after an exhausting night shift I managed to mix up salt water for the first time ever. Surprisingly, the collected sea water I have has quite a high salinity (35.5ppt), so I mixed the salt up to 35ppt, and mixed it with my sea water (1/3rd salt and 2/3 sea) and did the water change. I was just annoyed by how long it took for the water to heat up and landed up changing out slightly cold water at 24 degrees. Surprisingly the tank residents seemed unphased by this change.

And then on Monday I woke up to find a missing digi. One of the d-bag urchins had pushed it over the edge and into the abyss, where I couldn't fish it out. and of course it was under the biggest rock. To add insult, one of the urchins had managed to prick and attach one of the zoa frags and was proceeding to drag it around. Eventually I landed up removing all the frags from the tank just so that I could shift the rockwork so I could reach the digi frag. I couldn't even use my hands as one of the urchins was attached right above the digi and was threatening to prick me.

Remarkably, this semi tank teardown and rebuild only took 15 minutes to achieve, but I was still late for work.

Thankfully Tuesday was unremarkable but yesterday I flew out early in the morning to go visit my folks. How the tank copes without supervision for the next few days is going to be anyone's guess.

On the plus side, Father Coffee:

313279841_IMG_6882copy.thumb.jpg.d65324d5b3e79b33699b3e533527a4fe.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tempestas

These pico's are truly amazing. Left it alone for 4 days and everyone's still happy.

The only issue that popped up is that one of the zoa frags mysteriously fell into the abyss.  🤔 I'm looking at you d-bag urchins! 

However, the zoas opened during the day so I'm not stressed. I'll fish it out during the water change later today.

The hammer is now also showing signs of wanting to split. The vesicle between the mouths is getting larger and larger. And there's small bumps on the stem that look like they're going to turn into new polyps. Yay!

Now the only thing that stresses me out is moving everyone in an epic 11 hour journey in 2 weeks time.

• Like 3