SaltCritters.com

748S911's "Undercover Janky" 2.5 pico reef OSPRC...

748S911

35 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Are you thinking you’ll glue cut outs or sheets of the cutting board to the glass? Is that easier to remove from the glass in the future? I’ve thought about gluing frags to glass but have the same apprehension lol.

I’m just gonna cut it like a piece of background and roll it in there.  Dab some crazy glue on top corners. Then I can glue corals on there and when I break down the tank i can easily cut frags from it. Without having to scrape them off with a razor blade. 

• Like 2
pricewayne
49 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

I’m just gonna cut it like a piece of background and roll it in there.  Dab some crazy glue on top corners. Then I can glue corals on there and when I break down the tank i can easily cut frags from it. Without having to scrape them off with a razor blade. 

Will the crazy glue//super glue scrape off the glass completely if ever needed/wanted?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Will the crazy glue//super glue scrape off the glass completely if ever needed/wanted?

Yup very easily too. 

• Like 1

My orange cap shelves, so it will look super cool. Maybe glue it next to a corner too. To get a really cool look. 

• Like 1
pricewayne
8 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

I want those firework cloves on wall.. and i’ll put an orange cap on there too. 

Am like 90% sure I saw some sweet firework cloves at Golden State Corals (in the valley) few weeks ago -- may give them a call! Worth a visit... really loved their coral stock.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Am like 90% sure I saw some sweet firework cloves at Golden State Corals (in the valley) few weeks ago -- may give them a call! Worth a visit... really loved their coral stock.

Where is that? Never heard of them, are they appointment only? I may have heard of them actually, if they ARE appointment only...let me know when you plan to roll thru, and I’d love to go too!

• Like 1

I gotta go to LA some time in the next few months to visit my best friend.   So that would be a good excuse to drive down to check out the lfs in area, maybe snag a frag or two for my trip back home. :haha: I'll let you guys know before hand so I can get the 411 on all the best spots. 

• Like 1
pricewayne
15 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Where is that? Never heard of them, are they appointment only? I may have heard of them actually, if they ARE appointment only...let me know when you plan to roll thru, and I’d love to go too!

Nope, they have walk-in hours! It's a smaller shop, but I was really impressed with the stock they have. Have their mother colonies on display as well.

Here's the address:

6924 Canby Ave #113, Reseda, CA 91335

• Thanks 1

Flexible cutting board came in today, works perfect and it diffused light a little too 😀

I just eyeballed it marked corners and cut with scissors easy. Didnt even need to use glue.  Very happy and will start glueing frags to wall lol. 

Side note- my tyree flower petal cap is getting its purple rim back 🙂 

A37A1D72-79E7-42B5-A55F-5211D3510538.jpeg

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Flexible cutting board came in today, works perfect and it diffused light a little too 😀

I just eyeballed it marked corners and cut with scissors easy. Didnt even need to use glue.  Very happy and will start glueing frags to wall lol. 

Looking good! Love the coral placement. Looks very natural

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Wow that tank is going to be so stocked once you’re done! The cutting board against the back wall is genius, and I’d be surprised if we don’t see at least one other person do this...A+ for $3 innovation!!

I guess I could glue corals to my surface skimmer mod... 🤔 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Looking good! Love the coral placement. Looks very natural

Thanks, I cant wait til it grows out.

2 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Wow that tank is going to be so stocked once you’re done! The cutting board against the back wall is genius, and I’d be surprised if we don’t see at least one other person do this...A+ for $3 innovation!!

I guess I could glue corals to my surface skimmer mod... 🤔 

Yea it worked out amazingly well and cheap! I def recommend it to anyone doing bare bottom or back, side wall to put corals on and let them grow out. If ever tank gets taken down you dont have to work hard to remove coral (insta frag) 

Now I'm not worried about sticking stuff on wall.  Hopefully I get some coraline going in this tank, none yet!! My EVOreef is covered in it.

• Like 1

Ohh like the cutting board idea.  I could cut sections, bend them down and make a frag plug holder that would be sturdier than a soap dish with suction cups.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Thanks, I cant wait til it grows out.

Yea it worked out amazingly well and cheap! I def recommend it to anyone doing bare bottom or back, side wall to put corals on and let them grow out. If ever tank gets taken down you dont have to work hard to remove coral (insta frag) 

Now I'm not worried about sticking stuff on wall.  Hopefully I get some coraline going in this tank, none yet!! My EVOreef is covered in it.

I’m sure the coraline will grow in due time, no rush. When I first started back in 2011, I wanted coraline to cover everything... then when it started covering my glass I changed my tune, lol. It’s hard to scrape off unless you take a razor blade to it...lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
47 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I’m sure the coraline will grow in due time, no rush. When I first started back in 2011, I wanted coraline to cover everything... then when it started covering my glass I changed my tune, lol. It’s hard to scrape off unless you take a razor blade to it...lol

Yeap, having it on the glass is tough stuff but I love the look of fully encrusted reef tanks in purple/pink lol.  

• Like 2

Yeah it is, it's crazy cause my EVOreef is like 15 days older than my pico and its covered in coraline on bottom and icecap 1k pump.  Only thing dif is bare bottom, and t5 lights (coraline is growing more on side I have the cheap 6500k t5 bulb the fixture came with lol.  So its 6500k cheapo, ati blue plus, and on other side its ati coral plus, ati blue plus.  Oh and I have miracle mud in the EVOreef too. (maybe thats why coraline exploded??)  🤔

A67D2F23-8339-48A5-9CD4-86170B754730.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
9 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Yeah it is, it's crazy cause my EVOreef is like 15 days older than my pico and its covered in coraline on bottom and icecap 1k pump.  Only thing dif is bare bottom, and t5 lights (coraline is growing more on side I have the cheap 6500k t5 bulb the fixture came with lol.  So its 6500k cheapo, ati blue plus, and on other side its ati coral plus, ati blue plus.  Oh and I have miracle mud in the EVOreef too. (maybe thats why coraline exploded??)  🤔

A67D2F23-8339-48A5-9CD4-86170B754730.jpeg

Wow that’s awesome! It might be the mud. I have a tiny bit of what looks like green coraline on my powerhead in my 7 gallon, but no sign of any in the pico, and they have been set up the exact same amount of time

• Like 1

I think your right, it didn’t blow up until i added the three project boxes last month filled with miracle mud to seed it. 

Ones for the pico, I think its ready to be added. Oooooooo.... so in a month from now if I have crazy coraline growth in the pico we now know its the mud, if not then its my crazy flow..my icecap1k is now at -80% & +80% on gyre mode 😂 sick!

88CBD84F-133C-4900-AC3E-AA2986849613.jpeg

2 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

I think your right, it didn’t blow up until i added the three project boxes last month filled with miracle mud to seed it. 

Ones for the pico, I think its ready to be added. Oooooooo.... so in a month from now if I have crazy coraline growth in the pico we now know its the mud, if not then its my crazy flow..my icecap1k is now at -80% & +80% on gyre mode 😂 sick!

88CBD84F-133C-4900-AC3E-AA2986849613.jpeg

If it is the mud, you better make your own mud mix and market it. Everyone is always looking for a shortcut to coraline 

1 minute ago, MetaTank said:

If it is the mud, you better make your own mud mix and market it. Everyone is always looking for a shortcut to coraline 

748S911's pre seeded magic coraline mud in a box. lol