Pod Your Reef

748S911's "Undercover Janky" 2.5 pico reef OSPRC...

748S911

9 hours ago, 748S911 said:

So after extensive research, Im down to two different power options.  

This two battery awesome set up to not only power my reefs, It will also power whatever I want.  Cool power set up. 

Pico sized reef battery back up.  love this little set up. 

First battery back up will cost about 400 bucks for everything and will power both reef tanks for easily 4 days.  Also could use it to power just about everything else while in a black out situation or other situations.  Very cool to have on hand, and has a variety of uses. 

Second is 100 for everything, and will run an icecap gyre for 36 hrs , and prob a mini pump for pico for a very long time.  

Just dont know what makes more sense for the money.  My power was out for 10 hrs or so.  And a gas generator runs 300-400 bucks. 7 hrs use on a gallon of fuel. Pros it’s plug and play,  cons loud, and can only use it outside, and if I run outta gas that would suck. 

Tough call. 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
2 hours ago, 748S911 said:

First battery back up will cost about 400 bucks for everything and will power both reef tanks for easily 4 days.  Also could use it to power just about everything else while in a black out situation or other situations.  Very cool to have on hand, and has a variety of uses. 

Second is 100 for everything, and will run an icecap gyre for 36 hrs , and prob a mini pump for pico for a very long time.  

Just dont know what makes more sense for the money.  My power was out for 10 hrs or so.  And a gas generator runs 300-400 bucks. 7 hrs use on a gallon of fuel. Pros it’s plug and play,  cons loud, and can only use it outside, and if I run outta gas that would suck. 

Tough call. 

Not sure it’s been suggested but why not use one of these

Cobalt Aquatics DC USB Air Pumps (Rescue Air Pump Kit) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRFLMG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ix58Cb5J1S4X3

if you run an air pump this will replace it and automatically switch to battery power when the main power goes out.

• Like 4

Or there is a propane generator.  Fuel is easier to store, I don't believe it needs to be run monthly to ungunk it because there is no cauberator, it has a longer continuous run time because it doesn't need to cool and be refilled like gas and it is not as loud,   How often do you have power outages and how long do they usually last?  Will you want or need to power anything else?  

• Like 2

To be honest this is the first power outrage longer than 1 hour in years that I've experienced.

I've never needed  power for anything, cause power goes out then a little later cuts back on. 

Battery air pump is looking better and better lol.

• Like 1

Random zoa's in pico vs EVOreef.

T5 supplementaion and eBay led def grows coral faster and lots of flow in my EVOreef, but I'm getting much better coloration in my Pico with just my ai prime hd. Very interesting results.  

Heat has been an issue with the EVOreef, so that might be why I'm getting different lighter coloration. Because of heat issues, I'm running T5 only 3 hours a day. 

Need a third tank with ai prime and t5 LMAO!!

20190602_132502.jpg

20190602_132632.jpg

• Like 2

Moved Pico next to my EVOreef and now that I mounted my fixture higher I'm getting a lot of light spill off to side.  

I could totally use this t5 goodness 🙂

Took some pics of how strong of light in getting in there. Even the moon lights are crazy.  

Set up like this I don't even need the ai prime hd anymore lol.

20190602_223956.jpg

20190602_223754.jpg

20190602_223939.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
3 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Wowzers, the colors look great too!

I love the little gorgonians you put in there, what a nice touch 🙂

I know right!! I'm amazed how much light it is.  on that side I have the ATI blue plus and ATI coral plus bulb, but im sure its getting everything cause the moon lights are really intense too and thats just led.  

I love the little gorgs, it was one frag of ora grubes gorgonian.  I fragged it and threw the piece in the back.  It should look amazing once fully grown out...its growing fast too. 

• Like 1

Also I have been running my aqamai on full sps 200l mode all day in my little 2.5 gal I love this little pump!! @Tigahboy Thanks for telling me about that setting. 

7 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Also I have been running my aqamai on full sps 200l mode all day in my little 2.5 gal I love this little pump!! @Tigahboy Thanks for telling me about that setting. 

You're running that mode on your 2.5???  Lol. That's both crazy and impressive. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

You're running that mode on your 2.5???  Lol. That's both crazy and impressive. 

Its great!! corals are loving it.  I have that huge rock in there and breaks up some flow and no sand storms!!!!

Just now, 748S911 said:

Its great!! corals are loving it.  I have that huge rock in there and breaks up some flow and no sand storms!!!!

Geez.  You just made my 20g (and maybe me) feel totally inadequate.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, ef4life said:

32ifeb.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

pico is looking great

I got mines at petco for 19.99, they have ora frags. Only problem is that you gotta get them as soon as they get them in, other wise they die in a couple of weeks in their tanks.  There is one around here that does a really good job and has a seperate frag system. 

• Like 2

Morning FTS 06/03/2019

AI Prime HD with T5 day 1  🌞 😎

Should be interesting to see how these corals grow and color up with the addition of T5.  

EBay led vs AI Prime Hd with T5 - 

What combo grows coral faster and with better coloration.  This is gonna be epic!

Both systems are separate and water changes are done separately.  

Only difference would be my EVOreef has chaeto, the Pico has a refugium but chaeto died and been too lazy to stuff more in lol.

Right off the bat I can tell you that the Pico is winning in the overall look of lights 

20190603_101521.jpg

20190603_102211.jpg

20190603_102130.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2