Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pico's RedSea Max S 500

picoreef78

This current system is 7 months old. 

The previous system was 6 years old. 

Need to set up the loser soon and my old system ran on autopilot for 3 years before I needed to mess with it much.

I went to my first Fraq swap today. Hands up to the DFWMAS!

1 . I won the Walt Disney A. tenuis in the raffle

2. Leng Sy montipira

3. Lime in the Sky acropora

4. Bali green slime acropora

(these 3 from someone breaking down there tank)

4. Aqua SD Rainbow phoenix Montipora 

5. Acanthastrea echinata

6. "Sexy Dance" Acropora (what ever that means looks like a A Millipore)

7 Astreopora sps.

Better pictures to follow

• 2 months later...

Lost a lot of coral and fish after the tornado hit. Starting over but my 7 year old ORA Red planet, green planet, mystery coral calzones died.

Got a doser. Looking into refugium light or a macro algae reactor. Any one better than the other in forum users experience.

• Sad 1

Wow, so sorry - not necessarily better than the other but the choice could depend on what maintenances you would like to put up wih - reactor probably has to be broken down and cleaned on occasion or even shut down just to thin the algae - while the refugium light will provide an environment that is easy to access for maintenances, it still has potential to allow other stuff to grow down there (not necessarily bad though). Also, between options in general, I opt for whichever implements less additional electronic/plumbing equipment to reduce the chance for fault.

Ok working on RedSea Max S 500 2.0 after great tornado crash. 

Tunze MacroReactor is up and running, pH is 8.2, yay. 

Have a Jebao doser I need to set up today, got the tubes all set up, just need to plug, caliber and set. 

Ordered corals from ReefGardener and FedEx dropped the ball. The Walt Disney A tenius DOA but the rest seem to be doing ok.

Reef Stag poison Ivy A millipora

Ora red Planet (this grew into a massive colony for me on the last tank

Walk Disney A

Gernan Blue Montpora Digitata

Aqua SD Rainbow millipora

• 1 month later...

Ok finally some stability. pH solid 8.2 everyone I measure. 

Past 3 weeks 

Alk 8.4 dKa 3.1

Ca 450-490

Mg 1400-1560

Installing the MarineDepot Shelf, does not fit exactly right under the RedSea Max S500 but enough angled to clean up. 

Tweaked the Macroalgea reactor tubes to get better outflow and finally an algae tumble. Lights of before I could video, will post later. 

AI lights are ok. Not super impressed by color rendition compared to the G4 Radion ProI had on the cacdlights

Ok slow but surely getting things squared away and stable. 

NO3/PO4 always have been low now at 0. Dosing Acropower at 10ml/day

pH rock solid 8.2 whenever I testing using RedSea kit (need to pick up a pH probe.) (Macroalgae seemed to help with this)

Magnesium is always high at 1440 so far been taken care of with water changes (about 8-14% every two weeks)

Calcium at 450 down from 490 dosing at 10 ml/day

Alk stable at 8.4 dKA for two weeks slipped to 7.5. Upped my dosing from 30 to 50 ml/day, Probably should divide this 5 10ml doses throughout the day

Got Ulva for my macro reactor and hopefully can give nice treats o the Tangs.

Rest the Hydra 26 to approximate coral labs AB+.  Not finding the Hydra's to give the coloration that I had with the Radion. Don't feel like shelling out another 1200 in new lights, but might have to do that.

Anyone going to Texas Coral Fest? Thinking about it but I am coming back from a conference in LA and have a short call day that day.

Speaking of LA, any good fish stroke I should  check out?

Fixed by RODI filter and replaced the TDS. I need to set up a water filter station in the garage. 

On another note. Anyone using two opposite Nero 5? Looking at getting another one for the opposite side or maybe going with the RedSea Reefwave Gyre. Hoping to keep everything under one echo system. I do miss my EcoTech G4 Radion Pro. Gave great color rendition.

So I got brighwells sport block. Neophos and NeoNitro to boost my levels just a little. 

Figured out how to properly add the moonlights to the Hydra26's

Liking the new Gen 5 Ecotech radon's.

So far aside from constant 0 PO4 Aden NO2, with the loser have stability with pH constant 8.2 every tome I check, all 7.5 to 8.5, still tweeking my dosing regiment. Ca 450-490 and Mg 1340 to 1440. Will be switching to RedSea blue bucket from the Pro within the month. 

• 2 weeks later...

No longer dosing NOPOX

Water is dirtier

corals are happier and coloring up a bit

I was doing twice the Calcium I though I was 20 ml/day vs 10 (BRS calcium ash mix)

Alkalinity 45 ml/day

I upped both of these this am to 50 ml/day and 25 ml/day

Seeing an uptick in Ca and Alk consumption

PO4 0.02 ppm

NO3 0.5 ppm

alk 7.2 dkH

Ca 430 

Mg 1520

Planning to dose NeoNitro per formula to get to 3-5 ppm. 

Slow and steady alkalinity stable low at 7.5 calcium continues to decrease at 420 now. pH 8.3. I have upped the alkalinity doser setting by 10 m/dayl and the calcium by 12 ml/day. 

Cost of more algae and cyan showing up. 

Just got my second AI Nero 5 and set it to salve mode opposite side of the tank. Lets go flow.

• 3 weeks later...

Still uping dosing regiment for lower all and calcium. Ca of 400 and all at 7.5. Avoiding adding any extra outside of the doser to avoid big changes. Added Neonitro to get NO3 of 3 ppm. 
cover placed and new friend added. 

54BA58E2-95B4-4B2E-B51F-EA8C405AD288.jpeg

4FE379E4-6D3B-4345-B9D2-CE81475A6E83.jpeg

9907A085-F46B-4158-A1B6-612276AA85B1.jpeg

• Wow 1