inTank Media Baskets

Pico's RedSea Max S 500

picoreef78

3A0F2321-FFDD-4127-B42D-2DAF2A9576FD.thumb.jpeg.76abce6e7933da0f1409467e6c8b5ac9.jpeg

Tank Details:
RedSea Max S 500

135 gallons total, 119 gallons aquarium and 16 gallons sump

50.5x27.5x25 inches
White gloss stand

Circulation:

Sicce Syncra SCD 7.0

Stock circulation pumps x 3 back

RedSea ReefWave 45

RedSea ReefWave 25

Skimmer:
RedSea REEFER RSK 600

Filtration: 
RedSea Carbon x1
RedSea ReefMat 500

Lighting:
RedSea LED 90 x 3

Controller: none

ATO:
Stock 7.5 gallon ATO reservoir and float valve

Heater:

BRS Controlled

2x 300W BRS titanium heater found

MacroAlgae reactor:

Tunze 3181 Macro reactor

Doser:

RedSea ReefDose 4

Dosing:

25 ml AcroPower Daily

130 ml BRS alkalinity daily (BRS brand)

130 ml Calcium daily (BRS brand)

30 ml Magnesium Daily (BRS brand)

Reefscape:
BRS Pukani Rock (30 lbs) (transfer from old tank)

Marcorocks reef base 

Corals:
Stylophora sps:
Stylophora pisillata (Milka Stylophora)

Stylophora pisillata (Ora Magental/teal polyps)

Seriatopora sps:

Seriatopora hystrix

Seriatopora guttatus x1

Acropora sps:
Acropora valida (GARF Bonsai Acropora)

Acropora sps? ORA piece (Green with lavender tips)

Acropora sps. green with red polyps (Maybe microlados)

Acropora sps. Looks a little like Acropora Millipore

Acropora hoeksemai (Blue Staghorn Coral)

Acropora tenuis (Walt Disney Acro)
Acropora sps (Sexy Coral Orange Passion)

Montipora sps:

Montipora digitata red polyps

Montipora steatosa

Montipora digitata blue

Psammocora sps:

Twin Spot Goby Watermelon

LC Outer space

LPS:
Favia sps (Pot of Gold Favia)
Oxypora sps (ORA Easter Egg Oxypora)

Bernardpora stuchbury

Blue/Orange chalice

Pink Chalice

Blue/orange Leptastrea

Reef gardener Rainbow Skittles

Corallimorphs
Zoanthid sps. Pink Zippers

Zoanthid sps. LC Mango Tangos

Zoanthid sps. Tyree Orange Rainbows

Zoanthid sps. LC Twilights

Zoanthid sps. LC Golden Nightmares

Zoanthid sps. LC Alice in Wonderlands

Zoanthid sps. Hallie Berries

Ricordia yuma (Midnight orange)  lots

Ricordia yuma (Citron Rainbow)  lots

Ricordea florida x 3

Fish: 
2 Amphriphon ocellaris (misbar and regular)

Skunk clownfish x 2

Baggai Cardinal fish x 1
5 Chromis viridis

Zebrasoma flavescens (Yellow Tang)

Ctenochaetus strigosus (Regal Tang)

Skunk Clown Fish x 2

Pink Smith Damsel Fish 

Clean Up crew:
2 Margarites pupillus
2 Nessaria snails
2 Turbo fluctuosa
1 Lytechinus vaniegatus

Water change schedule Red Sea Mix blue bucket to 35 ppt 
10-20% per week 

Feeding:
Spectrum Marine Pellets
Reed Mariculture/Neptune ATO food (1-2 time daily small bolus)
Golden Pearls
Alternate feedings

1x per week Reef chili
1x per week Reef Roids

• Like 1

Looking to add a circulation pump and the AI Nero 5 seems like a good option. Small, can hide the wires and works with the AI app so I can have everything in one place. The other option is a Maxspect Gyre but I like having evening on one app/system. 

I would say I have been spoiled with the EcoTech ecosystem MP40, MP10, M1 and Radion Pro gen 4. I like the spectrum on the Radion and it brings out the colors great. 

Anyone with any experience on the AI Nero 5? the glass thickness is 12mm seem to be at the upper edge of acceptable. 

The RedSea Reefer Skimmer is working fantastic.

I need to trouble shoot the ATO a bit more.  

Working on chiseling disco mushrooms of my rock as they spread like crazy and sting everything. Dipping (Peroxide) and scrapping rocks to get rid of bubble algae, moved the clowns, one sexy shrimp and the royal gramma. 

Unfortunately my large rock broke in half. My Green M digital Brock near the base. Oh well, will figure this out. 

a5MqxSzcS7qptKLIdylF1w.jpg

+B8LBTpkSq24DpD9UQ6RPQ.jpg

4RxeiXnKQEy8r4gre5A+uQ.jpg

• Like 1

I already miss my little 50 gallon cube, it was doing so well. 

So far most one everything is now over. Need to get glued to the rock work. The cyphastrea encrusting on the back wall is left and a ton of disco mushroom polyps. 

Dosing BRS alkalinity and calcium supplements 30/15 ml/day. Once I find a buy for all my CadLights tank gear will need to get a new dose pumping solution.  4 channels, alk, Ca, NOPOX and amino acids. I am going to sell the the APEX with the old tank and keep this one simple, I really did not use a lot of the functionality of the controller with the old tank. 

Big goal is to maintain a pH of 8.1-8.3 in this tank instead of 7.8-7.9, hopefully I will see a lot better growth. I Brough home IV gtt from work and planning on hooking it up to a 2 liter bottle and slowly drip in saturated kalkwasser during the course of the day until I break down and get a kalk reactor of some sort. 

%UIQIkg8TmCmJT%O2oD4Dw.jpg

• Like 2

All fish over and doing well.

Coral doing well. 

Alk 3.3 mEq (9.2 dka)

Ca 430

Mg 1360

Ask up a little, did a kalwasser injection to the disco corals to keep them from stinging the other corals, this might have increased all. Also new system coral might be biding there time to start growing again. 

Now time to break down 50 gallon and put it up for sale. 

• 1 month later...
picoreef78

Will post a pic later today. Status quo. I had to turn down the lights a bit, bleaching out some of mystery acro, red planet and two smaller across. 

Water check for the first time in a couple of weeks and all 11.5 aka, yikes. Will slowly let down. 

So far RSM S series is great. Quit, easy to use and all wires kept in power center. 

Reefer RSK 600 works fantastic, pulls out load of nasty junk. Drain pipe works well. though need to clean the collection cup. My only complaint is it barley fits in the allotted space, RedSea needs to update the sump to fit the new skimmers a little better. 

The plastic racks for the carbon outflow would be better served as one big rack instead of three small one, so when I stop flow they don't float away. 

I turn off the pumps to feed the fish, having a pump like the Vector with a feed mod to keep slight positive pressure would be nice. 

I got the AI Nero 5, with concerns of the magnet being strong enough to hold on the glass and flow. Both are non-issues and flow is fantastic across 4/5 of the tank. 

RedSea came out with their light solution after I bough it with the AI's, would have been nice to have those and then have flow, lights and eventually dose all on one platform for convenience. 

I hopefully will see the old tank this weekend. So far pH 8-8.2 which have been much better than my Cadlights Artisan II 50g.

Fish got ich 😞

I have ordered Polyp Labs Medic, hopefully that will do the trick. I know I know, quarantine.

Looking into getting a doser. I was hopping the RedSea Doser would come pout soon. Absolutely need it for alkalinity and calcium. If I can 4 channels to also dose NOPX and Acropower that would be awesome. Any recommendations, looked at GHL and Jebao.

Another project is to set up a water filtering station on the garage. 

And another project is to maybe set up a refugium in the sump. Mad a good choice with this tank as it has room for expiation underneath

6 years and 3 tank move crashes and still going. Probably need to frag a little. Running is something I have not done, purposefully anyway.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dosing Poly labs medic for Ick on the regal blue tang (Daisy) and yellow eye kole tang (diamond)

Daisy screeched hers off. Diamond seems to have progressed the natural life cycle. So far no new spots and the rest of the fish looking good. 

Medic doing ok for the most part but if the pellets fall on coral, causes some injury so placing pellets in the sump. Will see of there is recurrence. It has not spread to other fish. 

While trying to get disco mushroom of the rick I seemed to have bleached my really nice colony "pink lemonaide". The reverse sunset montipora also took a pretty good hit. Not sure why this time it went the wrong way but it did. Maybe stress from the recent medic treatment. 

The MarcoShelf rock is a pill to stack and place, so the look is brand new again. 

Does anyone of suggetions on a good epoxy to hold this. I tried two little fishes aquatic stick that did not to the trick. 

• 1 month later...

Pics to come. 

Doing OK, doing major maintances today. 

Love the RSK 600 skimmer, pain to take out.

The ATO is ok.

Marco shelf rocks are a pain to structure and adhere to other rocks. 

Need to get a dose going and dose 

1. Alkalinity

2. Calcium

3. NOPOX

4. Coral Amino Acids.

• Like 1
On 8/25/2019 at 12:52 PM, picoreef78 said:

Need to get a dose going and dose 

1. Alkalinity

2. Calcium

3. NOPOX

4. Coral Amino Acids.

How old is this system, total?  Incl.  previous incarnations?