Coral Vue Hydros

Tigahboy

1 hour ago, TJ_Burton said:

OOoOoOo this is fun!!!

Hopefully you are jumping in as well.  You'd kill it!  But the contest runs for only 7 months tho. 😂 #OGReefers (#OldGeezerReefers)

• Like 1

I know this is not directly related to the #kiddiereeftank, but since I plan to house pom-pom crabs in this pico, I thought it would be cool to have freshwater pom-pom crabs (Ptychognathus barbatus) in the #kiddieplantedtank as well. 

Didn't even know these existed until recently.  They basically have hairy claws.  and they are tiny.  and cute.

Check them out!  

IMG_20190402_182443_303.thumb.jpg.9c3c4ecf6de251dfbbcc121cc7479ed4.jpg

IMG_20190402_182526_595.thumb.jpg.1f54a811c3822741e8c07d4f839eec55.jpg

And here's a photo of my son hugging the package when my wife told him what was inside.  Love how he's really getting into the hobby.  

IMG_20190402_152436_039.thumb.jpg.025ed5b5eb54a4269c72ec3d24b68cf3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Also picked up one of these from @Oceanbox Designs.

IMG_20190402_190636_172.thumb.jpg.6c55a14a671916c8df52cb7adc8bcf64.jpg

Pretty nice!  It says it's for reef aquariums, but it seems to work on freshwater aquariums too.  😁

Snapped a couple pics and a video of the FW pom-poms with the ReefLens:

IMG_20190402_182718_008.thumb.jpg.98095058b2babe075e462a5eb8e099ec.jpg

IMG_20190402_200432_482.thumb.jpg.8c9a3380be66a1ff6a62a0b41c463846.jpg

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

He's going to town on that ball of algae.

Haha.  Yeah, he/she was probably famished from being in a box for 24 hours.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Haha.  Yeah, he/she was probably famished from being in a box for 24 hours.

Most likely female, I eat a ton of Maryland blue crab here.  Looks like female to me.

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, Oceanbox Designs said:

Awesome to hear! I would be expecting some good Macro/Tank shots soon I hope. 🙄 Lmk if you need any help!

Thanks!  Once I get this pico stocked, I will definitely make use of the lens.  :)  Hopefully sooner than later...  

• Like 1

I know black sand can be a pain to keep clean and could make the tank look dark (and the grain size is a little too big), but I'm tempted to use this because 1) it's Hawaiian black sand, 2) matches the black substrate in the #kiddieplantedtank, and 3) this whole 20 lb bag is on sale at Petco right now for only $16.19 (cheaper than a 10 lb bag regular price).  Also used the same stuff for the first pico contest.

But still on the fence cuz I love me some Fiji Pink. Thoughts?

IMG_20190403_175501_604.jpg

17 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I know black sand can be a pain to keep clean and could make the tank look dark (and the grain size is a little too big), but I'm tempted to use this because 1) it's Hawaiian black sand, 2) matches the black substrate in the #kiddieplantedtank, and 3) this whole 20 lb bag is on sale at Petco right now for only $16.19 (cheaper than a 10 lb bag regular price).  Also used the same stuff for the first pico contest.

But still on the fence cuz I love me some Fiji Pink. Thoughts?

IMG_20190403_175501_604.jpg

I mean, I went Fiji Pink, but I suspect the black sand would make your tank stand out quite a bit. 

I mainly went with the Fiji because I want it for the 7 gal i'm setting at the same time, so it was like...a bargain thing. I got my 10lb bag for 14.99, but a 20lb bag for 16 bucks is a great deal. Do you have something you can do with all the excess?

lol...you id ask for thoughts, these my thoughts... 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I mean, I went Fiji Pink, but I suspect the black sand would make your tank stand out quite a bit. 

I mainly went with the Fiji because I want it for the 7 gal i'm setting at the same time, so it was like...a bargain thing. I got my 10lb bag for 14.99, but a 20lb bag for 16 bucks is a great deal. Do you have something you can do with all the excess?

lol...you id ask for thoughts, these my thoughts... 😊

I appreciate your extra brain cells!  I have no plan for the excess yet.  Haha.  Probably give it away to a reefer.  

3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I appreciate your extra brain cells!  I have no plan for the excess yet.  Haha.  Probably set up another nano reef, maybe a species tank.

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Some slight editorial liberties may have been expressed on your quotation.

• Haha 5
11 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Some slight editorial liberties may have been expressed on your quotation.

😂 🤣 Noooooo.  No more tanks!  Lol.  

• Haha 1

You should throw it in a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead, some rock, a heater and maybe a spare light over it if you have one...then stock it with livestock and coral...

It's not a tank, it's a bucket with rock and sand cycling in it.  

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, MetaTank said:

You should throw it in a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead, some rock, a heater and maybe a spare light over it if you have one...then stock it with livestock and coral...

It's not a tank, it's a bucket with rock and sand cycling in it.  

Lol.  The ultimate loophole.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 748S911 said:

You go to costa rica, el salvador sand is black, volcano 🌋 black

I'm not going that far for this pico contest.  

So your vote is either don't use it or pick out every speck of non-black sand. Hmmm.  

Just now, 748S911 said:

EB63C1B6-985B-4292-899A-6FE46DFD51B3.jpeg

Beautiful!

1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

I'm not going that far for this pico contest.  

So your vote is either don't use it or pick out every speck of non-black sand. Hmmm.  

Beautiful!

Pick it out or its gonna drive u mad 

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, 748S911 said:

Pick it out or its gonna drive u mad 

I think the act of sorting sand might just drive me mad, TBH.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico