Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tigahboy

7 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

I need a better camera 📸 

You’re telling me! I feel so...inadequate 

• Like 1

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I'm just using a camera phone (Pixel 2) and either Reeflens (for macro shots) or Polylab Lens (for everything else).  Haven't used my wife's Fujifilm XT1 in awhile for this tank, though I may try to play around with it at some point if I can get a better lens for it. 

Pixel 2/3 takes amazing photos, but video sucks.  I want my wife to upgrade to iPhone X so I can see how the photos compare but I suspect they will be just as good (maybe better?), but the videos should be better for sure.

• Like 2
Just now, Tigahboy said:

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I'm just using a camera phone (Pixel 2) and either Reeflens (for macro shots) or Polylab Lens (for everything else).  Haven't used my wife's Fujifilm XT1 in awhile for this tank ,though I may try to play around with it at some point if I can get a better lens for it. 

Pixel 2/3 takes amazing photos, but video sucks.  I want my wife to upgrade to iPhone X so I can see how the photos compare but I suspect they will be just as good (maybe better?), but the videos should be better for sure.

Well, I dunno if my iPhone 6 is up to the task anymore...lol. Your phone takes amazing pics! They really are super crisp and clear. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I'm just using a camera phone (Pixel 2) and either Reeflens (for macro shots) or Polylab Lens (for everything else).  Haven't used my wife's Fujifilm XT1 in awhile for this tank, though I may try to play around with it at some point if I can get a better lens for it. 

Pixel 2 has one of the best cameras on the market, so did the Pixel 1 for that matter, I had a lumia 1020 for a while and that's really about as powerful as phone-cameras get, still have it lying around somewhere lol... I should get some lenses because your shots look beautiful.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

Pixel 2 has one of the best cameras on the market, so did the Pixel 1 for that matter, I had a lumia 1020 for a while and that's really about as powerful as phone-cameras get, still have it lying around somewhere lol... I should get some lenses because your shots look beautiful.

I agree!  The only reason I bought my Pixel 2 was for the camera.  

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Wingy said:

Try the Open Camera app. It is free in the Play Store.

Not particularly customizable from what I gathered playing around with it, so far AZ camera is the only app I've found which allows for full-control over white balance and iso. I would still be using my lumia 1020 if I were able to manually set white balance on it lol...

I think I'm gonna remove some bio media.  My nitrates are ZERO and phosphates are close to zero (around 0.02).  I can never get nitrates up despite feeding daily.  My dragon's breath will probably starve at this rate.  And I forgot that I added the bio media in the first place b/c I thought I wouldn't have much LR in the tank, but ended up with around 3lb+. 

Any recs for supplements/ferts to feed the dragon's breath?  Never cared so much about keeping macroalgae alive.  LOL.

• Like 2
Noah C Peterson

I love this tank so much, its everything people tell you not to do in a reef tank in the best possible way 👌👌👌 I can't wait to see it all grown in! 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Noah C Peterson said:

I love this tank so much, its everything people tell you not to do in a reef tank in the best possible way 👌👌👌 I can't wait to see it all grown in! 

Thanks, Noah!  I'm a fan of your cave pico as well!  

12 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

I think I'm gonna remove some bio media.  My nitrates are ZERO and phosphates are close to zero (around 0.02).  I can never get nitrates up despite feeding daily.  My dragon's breath will probably starve at this rate.  And I forgot that I added the bio media in the first place b/c I thought I wouldn't have much LR in the tank, but ended up with around 3lb+. 

Any recs for supplements/ferts to feed the dragon's breath?  Never cared so much about keeping macroalgae alive.  LOL.

Keep in mind sometimes you will test 0 nitrates but that may not mean your tank doesn't have nitrate for your algae. It may just be consuming it. For example, you can have a hair algae problem and test 0 Nitrate and Phosphate, but obviously you have a nutrient problem. The algae is simply taking up these nutrients quickly.

But if you want to try adding ferts, Seabass has good suggestions.

• Like 6

F/2 was developed for culturing phytoplankton.  However, I imagine that the same nutrients and trace elements are also utilized by macro algae.  Dose sparingly.

Just now, seabass said:

F/2 was developed for culturing phytoplankton.  However, I imagine that the same nutrients and trace elements are also utilized by macro algae.  Dose sparingly.

So basically I'm feeding the pods with the phyto that I'm dosing, and now I'm feeding the phyto with F2.   Got a lot of mouths to feed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Just now, seabass said:

Are you culturing your own phyto?  It's pretty easy.

No.  Just got phyto from AlgaeBarn.  I have no interest in setting up another tank (no matter how small).  LOL.

Really, you just need an empty clear bottle (like a water bottle), a light, and an air pump.  But yeah, I get not wanting to expand an ever growing cluster of reef clutter.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Really, you just need an empty clear bottle (like a water bottle), a light, and an air pump.  But yeah, I get not wanting to expand an ever growing cluster of reef clutter.

I don't have a fancy reef room like you (tho I wish I did).  I'm a city reefer!  LOL.  OK.  Not really, I'm in the burbs.  But still don't have a lot of space to add more stuff.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico