Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy

Sounds like most people are thinking movement with the flow.  However, here's an idea that might be better than my tube man suggestion.  What about gluing multiple frags of a lava colored encrusting coral around the inside opening of the volcano.  It will slowly encrust over the top and might appear similar to molten rock (but not a true a lava flow).

Image result for volcano

Maybe something like orange or red encrusting montipora. :unsure:  It'd take a few months to achieve, but it might be a nice effect.  In the meantime, it would look and operate just like nothing were there (which was one of your options).  Even with it encrusting over the edge, you could still fire off the bubbles on occasion.
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

Sounds like most people are thinking movement with the flow.  However, here's an idea that might be better than my tube man suggestion.  What about gluing multiple frags of a lava colored encrusting coral around the inside opening of the volcano.  It will slowly encrust over the top and might appear similar to molten rock (but not a true a lava flow).

Image result for volcano

Maybe something like orange or red encrusting montipora. :unsure:  It'd take a few months to achieve, but it might be a nice effect.  In the meantime, it would look and operate just like nothing were there (which was one of your options).  Even with it encrusting over the edge, you could still fire off the bubbles on occasion.

It would be cool to see the progression of the encrusting coral down the volcano...  Hmmmm.

58 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Nothing but bubbles from me

This would definitely be the easiest route for me.  LOL.

• Like 1

LiveAquaria put a bunch of these aquacultured corals I'd never heard of in their Diver's Den yesterday that might look amazing if you could get them on a shelf in there, super bright red. It looks like they all got bought up but maybe they will add more!

acth-070819-530a.jpg.f1cca23fad63d26909998cb99d1ab860.jpg

The scientific name is diaseris distorta. HAH omg I just checked my sneak peak email and they definitely are adding more today and their name for them is LiveAquaria® Fuchsia Pink Lava Coals Coral.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Image result for volcano

That's pretty similar to what I had in mind too actually, so +1 from me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lizzyann said:

LiveAquaria put a bunch of these aquacultured corals I'd never heard of in their Diver's Den yesterday that might look amazing if you could get them on a shelf in there, super bright red. It looks like they all got bought up but maybe they will add more!

acth-070819-530a.jpg.f1cca23fad63d26909998cb99d1ab860.jpg

The scientific name is diaseris distorta. HAH omg I just checked my sneak peak email and they definitely are adding more today and their name for them is LiveAquaria® Fuchsia Pink Lava Coals Coral.

Wow.  Lava Coals Coral sounds perfect!  I'll definitely check it out.

16 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Wow.  Lava Coals Coral sounds perfect!  I'll definitely check it out.

I'd advise against scrolling down to see the price.

• Haha 3
13 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I'd advise against scrolling down to see the price.

Too late.  Out of my price range. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
27 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Too late.  Out of my price range. 

Dang! Way out of mine too. Sorry, I would have warned you and not gotten your hopes up like that if I would have known they were that much!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

Dang! Way out of mine too. Sorry, I would have warned you and not gotten your hopes up like that if I would have known they were that much!

It's OK.  @Tamberav suggested a $2,999.99 torch.  LOL.

• Haha 5

Is the dragons breath melting or breaking up or just in general not looking as good as it used to. I think the bubbles are pretty. Maybe just a couple rows of red zoas coming down from the rim and bubbles.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Is the dragons breath melting or breaking up or just in general not looking as good as it used to. I think the bubbles are pretty. Maybe just a couple rows of red zoas coming down from the rim and bubbles.

The part of the dragon's breath that attaches to a rock rubble piece (whether tied down or glued) always seems to break apart and chunks just float away.  Trying to piece it back together to stay in the volcano is very difficult.  I didn't have this problem when I had my other red macroalgae in the volcano.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

You may have just answered your own question. Did you not care for the color of the other red macroalgae? Did it die off or did you just remove it because the dragons breath had better color?

The other macro was fine but I got greedy and wanted something even better (the dragon's breath did have better color and shape).  Lol.  I gave the other macro to a local reefer, so I'd have to find more.  But I figure maybe if I find another cool replacement, I can give that a try before going back to that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAS Bubbles

59 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

The bubbles :wub:

It is nice to see the bubbles again.  Pretty impressive eruption without the macro.

13 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

OMG, You're going to initiate the damsel? :scarry: "Isn't there another way? He's just a little boy!"

LOL!

• Like 1
Just now, Amphrites said:

That damsel is so cute, love watching those little buggers.

You can see my tiny, cute clowns in the reflection as well.  :)

• Like 3
On 7/10/2019 at 7:16 AM, Tigahboy said:

The other macro was fine but I got greedy and wanted something even better (the dragon's breath did have better color and shape).  Lol.  I gave the other macro to a local reefer, so I'd have to find more.  But I figure maybe if I find another cool replacement, I can give that a try before going back to that.

Mine does the same exact thing. I wonder if it just doesn't handle super glue well.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico