SaltCritters.com

Tigahboy

On 3/31/2019 at 10:45 AM, Tigahboy said:

I'm totally not set on doing this, but since the tiki statue has a directional sign towards a volcano, I'm thinking about going this route.  It takes up A LOT of real estate tho, so still on the fence.  My son would really get a kick out of it tho.  Hard decision!  omgomgomg

IMG_20190330_205232_697.thumb.jpg.d4cf4f4dc6a1e0ba1a391b93839980a8.jpg

Turn off the lights and the tank be looking LIT, literally and figuratively:

IMG_20190330_211742_551.thumb.jpg.35901354a560d9e6481864c11c578868.jpg

And here's a video:

Love it

• Like 2
1 hour ago, billdeluz said:

Love it

I think I'm gonna just call this tank the "Volcano Pico" at this point.  Forget the corals!

• Like 1

The wall where I will eventually move the pico looked really dirty, so I spent like the last hour cleaning the wall with a soapy sponge (was ready to touch up the walls with paint if necessary, but fortunately not needed).  The things I do for this pico.  Grrr.  

• Like 1

Everytime I return to my water station to check on the progress, I think to myself: ok, how bad will the flooding be?  But no leaks yet! fingerscrossed *Knocks on wood*

I was trying to think optimistically about the timeline to get my tank wet, so I fired up the water station in preparation thereof.

IMG_20190403_220055_552.jpg

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Lol is that top bin connected to the bottom? What is happening in this picture. And how many floods have you had so far??

No floods!  Yet.  Though I've only fired this up twice.  LOL.

Yes they are connected.   The RODI feeds clean water into the top bin via a float valve.  The top bin is connected to the bottom bin and gravity feeds water into the bottom bin as the RODI is doing its thing.  The bottom bin also has a float valve so once that's filled to the top, the float valve closes, then the top bin fills up until it fills to the top, then the float valve closes as well.

Bottom mixes SW and top is just FW.  

Video of what I described above:

6 minutes ago, yoshii said:

So fancy. Why can't you just have a big trashcan like the rest of us plebs?

😂 Only the best for my fish babies.  The bins are food grade!

So I was at the LFS last weekend and I was looking for HOBs.  Was leaning towards an Aquaclear 20 since I will be running it on the side of my tank.  Tucked away off to the side of the shelf after the Aquaclears and Marinelands, I found a lonely white, plain box.  The box had no texts or images on it, except for handwritten text that read: "Nano HOB Filter - $22.99".  

I was intrigued. 

So I looked around to make sure no one was looking, then I opened the box to find a tiny, all clear HOB filter.  Found a brand (Aquaneat) and a model number (HB-10) on the motor.  So I Googled it, of course, and eventually found one place that sold it - Ebay!  $8.99!

So I ordered it and it arrived today!  Here it is:

IMG_20190403_225200_795small.jpg.79382f481842587165ae4d778a9f5ebd.jpg

Will it be any good?  Who knows. 

Will it last for more than a few months?  Probably not, but hoping it can last for just 7. 

Can it fit a ton of media and a heater?  No way. 

But it's tiny and clear, and despite its small size (same size as an Azoo Mignon 60 Filter which is rated at only 15 gph) it is allegedly rated at 65 gph.  Oh, and it has a surface skimmer attachment (that won't violate the contest rules - so don't call the surface skimmer police on me)!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
This guy is extra salty
3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

So I was at the LFS last weekend and I was looking for HOBs.  Was leaning towards an Aquaclear 20 since I will be running it on the side of my tank.  Tucked away off to the side of the shelf after the Aquaclears and Marinelands, I found a lonely white, plain box.  The box had no texts or images on it, except for handwritten text that read: "Nano HOB Filter - $22.99".  

I was intrigued. 

So I looked around to make sure no one was looking, then I opened the box to find a tiny, all clear HOB filter.  Found a brand (a no name Chinese-made brand) and a model number on the motor.  So I Googled it, of course, and eventually found one place that sold it - Ebay!  $8.99!

So I ordered it and it arrived today!  Here it is:

IMG_20190403_225200_795small.jpg.79382f481842587165ae4d778a9f5ebd.jpg

Will it be any good?  Who knows. 

Will it last for more than a few months?  Probably not, but hoping it can last for just 7. 

Can it fit a ton of media and a heater?  No way. 

But it's tiny and clear, and despite its small size (same size as an Azoo Mignon 60 Filter which is rated at only 15 gph) it is allegedly rated at 65 gph.  Oh, and it has a surface skimmer attachment (that won't violate the contest rules - so don't call the surface skimmer police on me)!  

I’m on the run from the skimmer police too

• Haha 2
This guy is extra salty
57 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Everytime I return to my water station to check on the progress, I think to myself: ok, how bad will the flooding be?  But no leaks yet! fingerscrossed *Knocks on wood*

I was trying to think optimistically about the timeline to get my tank wet, so I fired up the water station in preparation thereof.

IMG_20190403_220055_552.jpg

That is way cool! 

Makes mine look janky I just have two 44g brute trash cans. But one with wheels cause I’m fancy like that

• Like 1
Just now, This guy is extra salty said:

That is way cool! 

Makes mine look janky I just have two 44g brute trash cans. But one with wheels cause I’m fancy like that

I thought about brute trash cans, but I don't have a lot of extra room.  So this station gives me around 12g of SW + 12g of FW + storage space for my tank supplies.  

This guy is extra salty
3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I thought about brute trash cans, but I don't have a lot of extra room.  So this station gives me around 12g of SW + 12g of FW + storage space for my tank supplies.  

Oh lol I change 40 gallons weekly 😅 (one system) I’m thinking of switching over to dosing and supplementing.. 

68DF2E33-276E-4BC8-B356-935FEE894055.jpeg

1 minute ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Oh lol I change 40 gallons weekly 😅 (one system) I’m thinking of switching over to dosing and supplementing.. 

68DF2E33-276E-4BC8-B356-935FEE894055.jpeg

Wow.  Yeah, you need the trash bins with that much water.  How many gallons is that tank??

Pico journal entry no. 53: Hung the new HOB filter on the side of the tank.  It looks good.

IMG_20190403_230149_065.thumb.jpg.bb669e50a0536a9fb48fb256196a06b7.jpg

Observation no. 1: the surface skimmer attachment is way too low.  My water level would have to be like 2" below the top to make it work.  So I will probably junk the surface skimmer attachment.  It sticks out too much anyway and I don't want to bother trying to extend it with an acrylic tube.

Observation no. 2: The moment I opened the box, I smelled the undeniably familiar smell of a freshwater fish store.  It was overpowering.  Very strange considering the filter definitely looks new.  Should I be concerned?  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
This guy is extra salty
4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Wow.  Yeah, you need the trash bins with that much water.  How many gallons is that tank??

It’s a RS750xxl with a 50g external refugium plumbed in  so maybe 250+/-

5 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Pico journal entry no. 53: Hung the new HOB filter on the side of the tank.  It looks good.

Observation no. 1: the surface skimmer attachment is way too low.  My water level would have to be like 2" below the top to make it work.  So I will probably junk the surface skimmer attachment.  It sticks out too much anyway and I don't want to bother trying to extend it with an acrylic tube.

Observation no. 2: The moment I opened the box, I smelled the undeniably familiar smell of a freshwater fish store.  It was overpowering.  Very strange considering the filter definitely looks new.  Should I be concerned?  🤷‍♂️

They probably water tested it 

concerned maybe run some vinegar through it you’ll be fine

• Like 1

Looks good.  I can vouch for the Petco black sand pictured earlier.  I used it for a freshwater red cherry shrimp tank and the grain size was nice.  However, I did have some "floaties" after I first put water in the tank, so it'd be a good idea to rinse it out beforehand. 

• Like 1
Just now, TatorTaco said:

Looks good.  I can vouch for the Petco black sand pictured earlier.  I used it for a freshwater red cherry shrimp tank and the grain size was nice.  However, I did have some "floaties" after I first put water in the tank, so it'd be a good idea to rinse it out beforehand. 

Thanks!  Good to hear re the sand!  I'm also going to try to pick out as many of the red colored grains as well.  Let's see how that goes.  fingerscrossed

As nice as the new HOB filter looks, the stench coming from it is cray.  Like my whole living room started to smell like a FW fish store.  

So into the vinegar bath it goes.

IMG_20190404_061646_681small.jpg.48a9b6eb2580b5631d98a6307dff94f6.jpg

Also, here's a photo of like 36 lb of Real Reef Rock (or "alive rock" as my son likes to call it) waiting for me to get my act together and get this tank wet.  There's only so many photos of an empty tank I can take/post.  LOL.

IMG_20190404_062105_005small.jpg.3fcb91960314b04adaf05237821b4b1f.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

How tall is your hob? I bought a tetra pf 10 and it was way too tall. I only have two inches of room. 

9 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

2 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

How tall is your hob? I bought a tetra pf 10 and it was way too tall. I only have two inches of room. 

Dims for the HOB:  3.3" wide x 4" tall x 2" deep

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico