Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy

Every coral/invert in my pico has at one point been "my favorite." The red hornet is my favorite rn.  At least until my next favorite.

IMG_20190522_230745_804.thumb.jpg.a256188b5c49dadec4cc498d8ff176bb.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 2

TIME FOR AN UPDATE!

I swapped out my Hydor Pico-Evo Mag 180 for an Aqamai KPS. 

The good.

As you can see below, the Aqamai KPS is super tiny and pretty much similarly sized as the Hydor Pico-Evo Mag.  But despite it's tiny size, it's a super powerful pump (max 1050 gph) AND absolutely silent.  Like way more silent than any other wavemaker/powerhead I've had.  Has all kinds of modes, like wave, random, etc. (and can dial down all the way to 5%). 

So this is really the perfect wavemaker for a pico.  So thanks to @748S911 for suggesting this one.  Wish I just got this from the start.IMG_20190523_210742_312-01.thumb.jpeg.612f7247622bdd00f675a7c28de14ff6.jpeg

The bad.

The app does not work with my Pixel 2...  My phone just can't load the device.  I tried it with my wife's iPhone and it worked.  So I was able to program it with my wife's phone.  So app is not great, but controllability on the app is amazing.   You basically can set a mode for each and every hour of the day.  Don't know what the best mode is, so I just did 5% to 40% Random mode for all 24 hours for now.

Now for the VERY BAD.  And SAD actually.

I placed the pump basically right next to the volcano and higher up this time than my prior powerhead. (right next to the dragon's breath).  Then I plugged in the pump (and it defaults to constant mode at 50% of the total gph).  I look up to see a literal tornado of dragon's breath!  Like all chopped up into bits!  My beautiful lush macro was obliterated.  😢

Le sigh.  So basically I have tiny clumps of dragon's breath now.  I tried to piece them back together, but did not hold.  I moved the chunks into my snail holding tank for now.  RIP macro algae eruption.

• Sad 12
  • Wow 4
2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

TIME FOR AN UPDATE!

I swapped out my Hydor Pico-Evo Mag 180 for an Aqamai KPS. 

The good.

As you can see below, the Aqamai KPS is super tiny and pretty much similarly sized as the Hydor Pico-Evo Mag.  But despite it's tiny size, it's a super powerful pump (max 1050 gph) AND absolutely silent.  Like way more silent than any other wavemaker/powerhead I've had.  Has all kinds of modes, like wave, random, etc. (and can dial down all the way to 5%). 

So this is really the perfect wavemaker for a pico.  So thanks to @748S911 for suggesting this one.  Wish I just got this from the start.IMG_20190523_210742_312-01.thumb.jpeg.612f7247622bdd00f675a7c28de14ff6.jpeg

The bad.

The app does not work with my Pixel 2...  My phone just can't load the device.  I tried it with my wife's iPhone and it worked.  So I was able to program it with my wife's phone.  So app is not great, but controllability on the app is amazing.   You basically can set a mode for each and every hour of the day.  Don't know what the best mode is, so I just did 5% to 40% Random mode for all 24 hours for now.

Now for the VERY BAD.  And SAD actually.

I placed the pump basically right next to the volcano and higher up this time than my prior powerhead. (right next to the dragon's breath).  Then I plugged in the pump (and it defaults to constant mode at 50% of the total gph).  I look up to see a literal tornado of dragon's breath!  Like all chopped up into bits!  My beautiful lush macro was obliterated.  😢

Le sigh.  So basically I have tiny clumps of dragon's breath now.  I tried to piece them back together, but did not hold.  I moved the chunks into my snail holding tank for now.  RIP macro algae eruption.

Well, luckily that’s one thing that will grow back, or is somewhat replaceable. First off, glad to hear you like the pump. I’m sorry the app doesn’t work with the pixl,but at least you got it programmed with your wife’s phone. Did you already toss the dragons burp algae? What did you do with it when you switched it out for the real dragons breath? Anyway, once you get things dialed in, I’m sure you’ll get the macro debacle figured out.

• Like 2
NaturallyKait

Bummer about the macros 😞

I’m glad you like the KPS overall though. I’m pretty sure that’s what I’m buying for my tank eventually so it’s helpful to see people with positive reviews of it. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Well, luckily that’s one thing that will grow back, or is somewhat replaceable. First off, glad to hear you like the pump. I’m sorry the app doesn’t work with the pixl,but at least you got it programmed with your wife’s phone. Did you already toss the dragons burp algae? What did you do with it when you switched it out for the real dragons breath? Anyway, once you get things dialed in, I’m sure you’ll get the macro debacle figured out.

Yeah.  True.  I sold the dragon's burp.  I can try to grow out what little I have left into a big plume or just get another plume.  We shall see.  

10 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Bummer about the macros 😞

I’m glad you like the KPS overall though. I’m pretty sure that’s what I’m buying for my tank eventually so it’s helpful to see people with positive reviews of it. 

Yeah, if I put aside the issues with connecting to my phone, the KPS is amazing.  Tiny, silent, powerful, and highly customizable/adjustable.  Not sure how much better it can get than that.  

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

Aww poor macro algae!

Pico reefs don't drink smoothies @Tigahboy! It must have been quite a sight from the tiki hut 😅

That really sucks though! I guess now you have lots of dragons breath frags to grow out?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, Christopher Marks said:

Aww poor macro algae!

Pico reefs don't drink smoothies @Tigahboy! It must have been quite a sight from the tiki hut 😅

That really sucks though! I guess now you have lots of dragons breath frags to grow out?

Haha.  Yeah, I do have a lot of frags.  But now I need to buy like a good light to stick over the snail tank to grow out the dragon's breath and retain the orange tips.  It never ends!  omgomgomg

• Haha 6

Yay!  Got my phone to connect to the Aqamai!  A Hydor customer service rep helped me fix the problem.  So all's good now (other than not having my dragon's breath plume anymore. 😭).

Anyway here's a video of the flow before the Aqamai (pathetic):

And here's a video with the Aqamai (at 5-40% Random mode):

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

I bet the tank really looked like the volcano erupted.  Sorry for the macro but hopefully it will regrow.  Your tank will be picture perfect again in no time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Yas!!!! you got it to work!  

You can def see the difference in flow.  Congrats! 

It was a pretty easy fix (just had to turn off my data before syncing).  Love this pump now.  

25 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I bet the tank really looked like the volcano erupted.  Sorry for the macro but hopefully it will regrow.  Your tank will be picture perfect again in no time.

Thanks.  I wish I took a vid, but I was in total shock.  It was a wild sight tho.

• Haha 1

Here's an FTS with the new Aqamai KPS added behind the volcano.  It's so tiny, you can't even see it.  

IMG_20190524_221608_371.thumb.jpg.2c6c67de2d146ce3fe39ecd5165f055e.jpg

And yes, sad FTS without my dragon's breath plume. I guess at least I can enjoy the volcano bubbler again.  And when I turned on the bubbler, a bunch of dragon's breath pieces flew out.  Lol.  

• Like 13

lol, when the volcano spits up its last plume!   

The cloves look like palm trees in the background....love it!

Pico is looking amazing!

• Like 2

Glad you like the KPS. I picked one up for the 20g I'm planning, nice to see some feedback. It was either the Nero 5 or the KPS. Figured I'd do one KPS first and if need be add a second.

Here's hoping those dragon's breath frags grow out quickly! Rest of the tank is looking awesome. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

lol, when the volcano spits up its last plume!   

The cloves look like palm trees in the background....love it!

Pico is looking amazing!

Thanks!  And I'm glad you see the palm trees.  That's what I was hoping for with the cloves.  

11 minutes ago, haks said:

Glad you like the KPS. I picked one up for the 20g I'm planning, nice to see some feedback. It was either the Nero 5 or the KPS. Figured I'd do one KPS first and if need be add a second.

Here's hoping those dragon's breath frags grow out quickly! Rest of the tank is looking awesome. 

Yeah, I'm also planning a 20g, and I'm thinking about adding 2x KPSs.  I really like these pumps.  I mean, I really like the Nero as well.  They are also dead silent.  But seems like a better option to buy 2x KPSs for same price as 1 Nero (and they are much smaller than the Nero). 🤷‍♂️

Thanks!  I squished a few of the larger pieces of the dragon's breath to the left behind the hut in hopes of growing that out.  But I may just add a replacement one. 

• Like 1

Yup! Used the same logic when I chose the KPS over the Nero.

Yeah, seen your post over at RC about the furniture stand you purchased for the 20g. I went the same route although way cheaper;  purchased an accent table from Target.

https://www.target.com/p/windham-2-door-accent-cabinet-threshold-153/-/A-50860826

I'm 190lb and was able to sit on it without it falling apart but it didn't instill a lot of confidence. Redoing the frame this weekend but will reuse most of the other pieces, I hope!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, haks said:

Yup! Used the same logic when I chose the KPS over the Nero.

Yeah, seen your post over at RC about the furniture stand you purchased for the 20g. I went the same route although way cheaper;  purchased an accent table from Target.

https://www.target.com/p/windham-2-door-accent-cabinet-threshold-153/-/A-50860826

I'm 190lb and was able to sit on it without it falling apart but it didn't instill a lot of confidence. Redoing the frame this weekend but will reuse most of the other pieces, I hope!

That cabinet will look nice as a stand.  You should post what you did to reinforce it!  So I can learn too.  Lol. 

Wowzers, lots to catch up on over the past 2 weeks! Great additions, I like the different touches of color a texture.

Just curious, did you ever look at the Current USA eFlux wave kit? The 660 has a lower flow... I've been eyeing it, but really curious what people think about it.

I'd like some added sporadic flow, but worried about too much...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wendy said:

Wowzers, lots to catch up on over the past 2 weeks! Great additions, I like the different touches of color a texture.

Just curious, did you ever look at the Current USA eFlux wave kit? The 660 has a lower flow... I've been eyeing it, but really curious what people think about it.

I'd like some added sporadic flow, but worried about too much...

Thanks for stopping by! 

I haven't looked into that pump, but the dimensions seem pretty good (i.e., small).

But yeah, I really wanted random flow as well.  Pretty happy with the Aqamai.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about the macro. If it's any consolation, I'm struggling to keep my macro alive, so the fact that you can grow yours out is still winning in my books.

I'm also looking at this tank in a temporal flow of things. Initially your volcano rose from the water (when filling the tank), then it started spitting out gas (bubbling). Thereafter sending out lava (macro) and now you had a full blown eruption/ pyroclastic flow (macro smoothie). Now it's settled down to producing gas again. All in the normal life cycle of a volcano.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Thanks @Tempestas.  But yes, saw a total life cycle of a volcano in my pico.  And I suppose that is pretty cool. 

Also, now that the macro plume is no longer blocking the top of the volcano, I was worried one of my hermits fell in there, so I stuck a chopstick ladder deep into the belly of the volcano today in hopes of providing a way for the hermit to climb out.  I eventually just moved all the rocks and lifted up the volcano, but no hermit.  Still looking for him... 

I'm still trying to figure out how to keep macro myself.  I've never really kept any display macro before so I'm still learning.  I don't think I'm going to wait for my frags to grow up into big, strong plumes tho.  Probably going to just replace it.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not much of an update (been busy trying to get my new 20g project off the ground), but I added 1 Astrea snail yesterday to the pico, and so far it's like the employee of the month after just 1 day of work. 

... While the rest of the Hawaiian CUC just basically lounge around and shirk responsibilities all day.  Those guys are way too laid back.  

• Haha 6
2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Not much of an update (been busy trying to get my new 20g project off the ground), but I added 1 Astrea snail yesterday to the pico, and so far it's like the employee of the month after just 1 day of work. 

... While the rest of the Hawaiian CUC just basically lounge around and shirk responsibilities all day.  Those guys are way too laid back.  

Seriously, those astrea snails put in work! Snapper is the same kind, and he’s MVP for sure!

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico