ReefCleaners.org

Tigahboy

Make the volcano part of the rockscape.  That is what I did with the seahorse statue.  I puttied rock to it and I will grow coral or macro algaes on it.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

That's a nice little tank, I really like smaller rimless setups, but need to go with a cover glass with the kids and cat being too curious. 

Your surge tank was a huge inspiration when I first started reefing seriously, it's really cool to see you back on here! I used to drool over your tanks back in the day 🙂

That's nice of you to say.  Glad to see you still in the game after all this time as well.  

4 hours ago, Wingy said:

I think your kiddo will love the volcano.  I vote leave it in if he likes it.  If you could chisel out some flat pieces you could put some rock under the volcano almost like steps.  

I'm leaning towards keeping as well.  I routinely make life harder for myself anyway.  🙂

4 hours ago, asting said:

grow coral on the volcano?

Not a bad idea!

3 hours ago, 748S911 said:

volcano +1

3 hours ago, yoshii said:

Nice guppy tank and non-janky tank! Excited to see what you do with this one.

Yes, keep the volcano!

OK.  Volcano stays!  🙂

• Like 3
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Make the volcano part of the rockscape.  That is what I did with the seahorse statue.  I puttied rock to it and I will grow coral or macro algaes on it.

I like that idea.  Your seahorse statue is so awesome.

• Like 1

I just showed my son the volcano in action and he muttered to himself in a whisper: "oh my god.  that's so nice".  He's 3.  

I guess the volcano stays.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

I just showed my son the volcano in action and he muttered to himself in a whisper: "oh my god.  that's so nice".  He's 3.  

I guess the volcano stays.  

Hahahahaha..... I love this build already!  😆

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Funny thing was I think I said the same thing to myself when I saw the youtube vid....lmao and im 37 hahahahahahahahha

🤣 Well the volcano definitely stays then.  

• Like 1

Im in now, I blame you!! Went last min janky! It all happened too fast and pulled the trigger around 4pm today. Threw me off my game and now I have a peninsula janky lol 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, 748S911 said:

Im in now, I blame you!! Went last min janky! It all happened too fast and pulled the trigger around 4pm today. Threw me off my game and now I have a peninsula janky lol 

Nice!  I'm sure you'll be able to un-jank that tank with aplomb given your DIY skills.

I was at the LFS this afternoon and saw an AI Prime HD.  For a moment I thought I should get one since you may have one too, but couldn't pull the trigger.  

7 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Nice!  I'm sure you'll be able to un-jank that tank with aplomb given your DIY skills.

I was at the LFS this afternoon and saw an AI Prime HD.  For a moment I thought I should get one since you may have one too, but couldn't pull the trigger.  

Thanks, It already looks clean with the Stainless Steel Frame.  Heat would be an issue now with the canopy and don't think im gonna be able to fit one in there and keep my clean non janky look. Oh well... I will prob get one for the EVOreef down the road after I get board of my Chinese led/t5 diy fixture.  Theres always room for a third tank omgomgomglol jk.  im clocking in at 15 gallons or so and im done for now.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

I hear ya.  For my 20g build, I was planning to set up a frag space in my sump since there will be a lot of room in there.  So I'm trying to convince myself it's OK to spend the $$$ for a nice light for the pico since I can use it for the frag space down the road.  At least that's what I will tell my wife if I end up doing that.  fingerscrossed  

This is the exact logic I used to justify the Kessil A80 for my pico... 😄 great minds think alike

• Like 2
Just now, caas1496 said:

This is the exact logic I used to justify the Kessil A80 for my pico... 😄 great minds think alike

😁  How are you liking the Kessil A80 for your pico?  I'm thinking about that as an option too.  

4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

2xfu7w.jpg.9dc5b9b5de9bbaf7a96142ee085a1705.jpg

Saw this at the LFS today while picking up supplies for the pico.

IMG_20190331_191232_889small.jpg.9299af0fe778fe1cbdea3733058a971b.jpg

hahahahaha its like 90 bucks over here on the east coast

buy it, and send it to me lol

• Wow 1
Just now, caas1496 said:

So far I am really impressed with it. I am just running it on a simple timer. Didn't want to spend the extra $$$ for the kessil controller.

Yeah, I wouldn't get the controller either if I went Kessil.  Might as well get the AI Prime or Nanobox Tide at that point.

I looked extensively and the best all around is the AI prime HD for the money, Radion puck was gonna be like 500 to get everything I would need on a pico or any nano for that matter for 200 or so Ai prime all day

Look at this cute pico-sized power strip I found today at the LFS.

IMG_20190331_200906_742.thumb.jpg.493d39a156a19e4dc44cee4b69bf1306.jpg

No idea if it's any good, but I basically got it because it was cute and pico-sized.

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

No idea if it's any good, but I basically got it because it was cute and pico-sized.

those are perfectly good reasons

until it breaks and burns your house down

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1

Though I like clear back tanks, I experimented with background options tonight.  Added some privacy vinyl film to the back of the tank for a frosted look and placed an LED light strip behind the tank. 

IMG_20190331_205045_758.thumb.jpg.dfac1c8910febc25ad1b2b525f3dea7d.jpg

IMG_20190331_205112_960.thumb.jpg.9146f67b64e838c48af16a9edcd98854.jpg

IMG_20190331_205225_135.thumb.jpg.7491fa332315fa476a09786992daf547.jpg

Here are the results (just 2 colors shown, and there are like 16 total possible colors, but you get the idea).

IMG_20190331_212232_790.thumb.jpg.aa73f6f791df4be294c54e50d010a8d0.jpg

IMG_20190331_212232_792.thumb.jpg.c4778e4310c324d4a357ab750f83fa9b.jpg

And a video.  Cue the rave music (and seizures)!

BTW, the privacy film is no bueno. Keeps falling off at the edges, so probably will scrap all of this.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

I'm stealing the privacy thing thanks. Ive been looking for a way to hide the filtration in back. Im to lazy tho and will just end up krylon.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

I'm stealing the privacy thing thanks. Ive been looking for a way to hide the filtration in back. Im to lazy tho and will just end up krylon.

Hey, if you can figure out a way to make it actually stay on, please share.  haha.  

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico