Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tigahboy

2 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I think this is a good idea, I like the minimalist idea. I just looked at my rocks again, I may just plop down two large rocks and call it a day...lol...but maybe not. Depends on how the smashing of the biggest rock goes...

I love the minimalist look.  And yes, 2 rocks and calling it a day would be that.  LOL.  One of my favorite IG accounts is woah_there_satan.  Her tank is literally 2 stones.  That's it.  

Here's what 1lb. 10 oz. of LR looks like in my tank.  I'm thinking about going down to like 10 oz. plus the Sera Siporax bio media to make up for the lack of LR.    

IMG_20190405_232701_730.thumb.jpg.a8d9298a6d34c4cb01bf644761b926f5.jpg

IMG_20190405_232728_522.thumb.jpg.0269847ef117a665c1504d28c1091889.jpg

• Like 3

The LR just gets in the way of the backlit shots too.  LOL.

Anyway, I have a plan C as well.  But won't be able to try it until I get some extra stuff.  

7 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

The LR just gets in the way of the backlit shots too.  LOL.

Anyway, I have a plan C as well.  But won't be able to try it until I get some extra stuff.  

The more I think about it, the more I live the idea of two rocks...Good to have multiple plans! My first plan was to break down this large rock I have into rubble, and glue the rubble into something complex with arches and caves...but I think that may be out of my league. Plan B is sounding better and better

What's plan C??

11 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Here's what 1lb. 10 oz. of LR looks like in my tank.  I'm thinking about going down to like 10 oz. plus the Sera Siporax bio media to make up for the lack of LR.    

IMG_20190405_232701_730.thumb.jpg.a8d9298a6d34c4cb01bf644761b926f5.jpg

small rock in middle, linking volcano to lr

Just now, MetaTank said:

The more I think about it, the more I live the idea of two rocks...Good to have multiple plans! My first plan was to break down this large rock I have into rubble, and glue the rubble into something complex with arches and caves...but I think that may be out of my league. Plan B is sounding better and better

What's plan C??

:ninja:

Just now, 748S911 said:

small rock in middle, linking volcano to lr

A volcano bridge!

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, KISReef said:

That's a great idea. I would place the smaller pieces of rock around 2/3rds of the volcano up to 1/3rd of the height. That way the Volcano is the center piece and the rock and corals attached become the reef to the volcano (island).  You can scatter some smaller filler in pieces to balance the layout (golden ratio). Just an idea.

This is a good idea too.  Basically trying to better integrate the volcano into the scape.  

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Sorry to hear about the 20 gallon, I got the same janky micro pumps that are way too loud lol.  I'm loving my marine pure bio balls, they are great.

Thanks.  If cost wasn't a factor, I think an mp10 could be good option for this tank.  Relatively low profile compared to other wavemakers, at least quieter than these janky micro pumps, no cord in the tank, and can be dialed down a bit.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Thanks.  If cost wasn't a factor, I think an mp10 could be good option for this tank.  Relatively low profile compared to other wavemakers, at least quieter than these janky micro pumps, no cord in the tank, and can be dialed down a bit.  

Very true....I love ecotech products.  If they only made an mp 2.5 pico edition and  a ice cap gyre 500 pico edition lol 😂 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

I'm thinking about going down to like 10 oz. plus the Sera Siporax bio media to make up for the lack of LR.   

Not sure you need any rock.

How pourous/textured is that volcano?  I'm thinking bacteria will grow all over that and the hut possibly.  And if you can fit any tiny rubble in volcano itself that might be all you need besides the bio media. Just a thought.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Not sure you need any rock.

How pourous/textured is that volcano?  I'm thinking bacteria will grow all over that and the hut possibly.  And if you can fit any tiny rubble in volcano itself that might be all you need besides the bio media. Just a thought.

Very good point.  That volcano definitely has a pretty rough texture with a lot of nooks and crannies. I can definitely squeeze some rock inside the volcano itself.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 748S911 said:

Very true....I love ecotech products.  If they only made an mp 2.5 pico edition and  a ice cap gyre 500 pico edition lol 😂 

That would be so sweet. Haha. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Very good point.  That volcano definitely has a pretty rough texture with a lot of nooks and crannies. I can definitely squeeze some rock inside the volcano itself.  

I was gonna tell you to stuff the volcano with the bio tablets you bought. 😂 

• Like 1

You could glue some rock and small frags on rock to the volcano so it looks something like this.  To keep the red glow on the side build it out so the crater is on a diagonal  like there was a slip.  

spacer.png

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

This is a good idea too.  Basically trying to better integrate the volcano into the scape.  

I'd smash the rock into very small pieces and epoxy them around the bottom of the volcano and hut, making it look more natural, integrated, while maintaining the minimalist look.  I don't think you want to block the backlit background.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'd smash the rock into very small pieces and epoxy them around the bottom of the volcano and hut, making it look more natural, integrated, while maintaining the minimalist look.  I don't think you want to block the backlit background.

I like this plan. Any amount of actual LR in there will obstruct the backlit background.

• Like 1

Stuffing the volcano seems like it would be pretty low flow. Might just trap detritus. that said there are all sorts of surfaces in the tank that can hold bacteria so if you aren't planning on a fish I wouldn't stress over it.

52 minutes ago, asting said:

Stuffing the volcano seems like it would be pretty low flow. Might just trap detritus. that said there are all sorts of surfaces in the tank that can hold bacteria so if you aren't planning on a fish I wouldn't stress over it.

True.  I'm thinking about keeping the bubbler on tho which may help with circulation and blowing out detritus.  Like a detritus eruption. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

True.  I'm thinking about keeping the bubbler on tho which may help with circulation and blowing out detritus.  Like a detritus eruption. 😁

You could put the bubbler on a timer so it periodically "erupts" LMAO

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MetaTank said:

You could put the bubbler on a timer so it periodically "erupts" LMAO

🤯 Brilliant!  Definitely doing that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, asting said:

Sync it with the red hue on the light?

Yes, totally doable.  Just need to add sound effects.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico