SaltCritters.com

Tigahboy

44 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I'm not an expert, plenty of success stories on the net of people keeping clowns and damsels, even some of the more aggressive ones (they're the same family of fish after all), I'm honestly still considering a perc for my tank lol, unfortunately I think just about everyone's mileage varies heavily on this one (at least judging by all the hate damsels get in general).

Yeah, I was hoping the springeri were different than typical damsels though.  They do look nice though and their taste for FWs is a plus for me.  

41 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

I've read you can get rid of flat worms by raising levels in water forgot if it was mag or alk or strontium or I dont know.... lol

OK.  Got it.  Will raise everything!!  LOL.

• Haha 2

Daaaang.  My pico be looking like a real hot mess these days.  Diatom bloom from overfeeding (in an attempt to keep my dragon's breath happy), dragon's breath still looking like crap from being damaged during shipping, and flatworms all over the glass now.  They are still tiny tiny though so don't seem like the regular red flatworms that I've dealt with in the past.  Have also been preoccupied with my 20g project, so haven't been able to focus on the pico as much.

Time to get things back on track tho!  💪

Cleaned the glass for this shot.  Night shot to hide all the imperfections.  😁

IMG_20190610_220154_954.thumb.jpg.0a96b98f4148f0ef8e382f7d37893e8c.jpg

• Like 8
4 hours ago, seabass said:

Instead of over feeding to increase nutrients, you might consider dosing them.  That way you aren't introducing extra organics (or even silicate).

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1

Maybe do a large water change a few hours after a larger feeding. :unsure:

Interesting read.  Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out balance in this tiny pico.  Feeding heavily hasn't really worked for me.  Still haven't tried F/2 dosing yet either.  In any event, still thinking through what I should be dosing (if anything) for the macro and will definitely be reducing the feedings.  I'm pretty good with water changes, so I don't think I need to step that up.   

I may be adding a fish soon too, so that's going to change things up a bit as well in terms of feeding and balance.   

8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Probably the little grey algae eating flatworms that always seem to come with macroalgae.

Yeah, that would make sense.  Unsure about how I feel about these guys.  LOL.  

• Like 4

I got a Blue Sapphire Damsel (Chrysiptera springeri) from LiveAquaria yesterday.  In my QT tank right now.

IMG_20190612_090917_199.thumb.jpg.b0c472304364f880cfbf1355214e3cff.jpg

They are known to eat flatworms, so will let him have a flatworm buffet in the pico before moving to his ultimate home in the 20g.

Photo of my QT tank that I set up over the weekend for the damsel.

IMG_20190610_202841_319.thumb.jpg.c87b67499223ead662ed852845d683a9.jpg

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

I have been looking around for one of those for a while now - awesome fish! Little jelleous.

Yeah, I don't see these too often.  So when I saw it on LA, I jumped on it.  Ordered a couple FW shrimp and a snail for my planted tank to make the shipping more worth it (though still pricey).  

It's pretty tiny and cute.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Nice damsel! I actually had no ideas they are supposed to eat flatworms

Reefers have reported pretty good success with these damsels eating flatworms.  And they are supposedly more peaceful than other damsels.  But of course, with my luck I'll have the 1 that doesn't eat them and he'll probably turn out to be a terror.  LOL.  Either way, it's a pretty fish and I think will look good in my 20g with a pair of clowns.

• Like 2

Love that fish....glad to see you QT it. I tried to get one off LA few months ago and it exploded with Brook in my QT. That could have been the 7 dollars to kill all my fish.

• Wow 3
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Love that fish....glad to see you QT it. I tried to get one off LA few months ago and it exploded with Brook in my QT. That could have been the 7 dollars to kill all my fish.

Yikes...  Yeah, I'm pretty paranoid and already saw a white spec that could be nothing, but gonna medicate starting today or tomorrow.

Wondering if DD has better stock (i.e., more likely to be disease-free) or if it's safer to order straight from ORA or maybe Sea & Reef.

2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Yikes...  Yeah, I'm pretty paranoid and already saw a white spec that could be nothing, but gonna medicate starting today or tomorrow.

Wondering if DD has better stock (i.e., more likely to be disease-free) or if it's safer to order straight from ORA or maybe Sea & Reef.

ORA from LA is safe....it ships directly from ORA.

DD is conditioned fish but I get a lot of fish on their and they still have flukes and I had one arrive with velvet...once.

They don't treat them unless they show sickness in the two week min they keep them.

I have about the same luck disease wise with LA fish tbh but DD fish usually eat faster if they a picky type.

• Like 1

I love the springers damselfish, was lucky enough to have a lfs which stocks them, bugger got a bit of viral/fungal funk from the stress of moving but it cleared up in a few days. Smaller fish /shrug, I've also read that springers eat flatworms, but I think mostly the true springerii are known for it, the ***Sapphires*** are technically a closely-related species which gets slightly bigger and more boisterous.

That said my springer is hilarious and after adding some new frags was sure to inspect, peck at, and then fin-slap them all to establish his dominance over sessile-inverts (he would then totally leave them alone or try to find various ways to hide/hunt near/under them...), little guy was watching me from his cave and would come out to investigate whatever I had done as soon as my hand was out of the tank lol... So much energy and personality in such a small fish... Even better they live as long or longer than clownfish! 

Only real downside so far is my pod population will never recover because these fish are bottomless-pits which never stop hunting. (also eats 14-20 pellets of sera marin granules a day...)

Here's what true springers look like, yours will get a bit bigger and supposedly be slightly more confident and potentially grumpy, but still pretty peaceful for a damsel. It also may or may not still eat flatworms (mine loves clam and LPS poop so maybe they just eat everything?), let us know ^^

https://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/19/chrysiptera-springer/

Edited by Amphrites
Gemstones man... Also formatting so people can collapse my thread derail
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I love the springers damselfish, was lucky enough to have a lfs which stocks them, bugger got a bit of viral/fungal funk from the stress of moving but it cleared up in a few days. Smaller fish /shrug, I've also read that springers eat flatworms, but I think mostly the true springerii are known for it, the ***Sapphires*** are technically a closely-related species which gets slightly bigger and more boisterous.

That said my springer is hilarious and after adding some new frags was sure to inspect, peck at, and then fin-slap them all to establish his dominance over sessile-inverts (he would then totally leave them alone or try to find various ways to hide/hunt near/under them...), little guy was watching me from his cave and would come out to investigate whatever I had done as soon as my hand was out of the tank lol... So much energy and personality in such a small fish... Even better they live as long or longer than clownfish! 

Only real downside so far is my pod population will never recover because these fish are bottomless-pits which never stop hunting. (also eats 14-20 pellets of sera marin granules a day...)

Here's what true springers look like, yours will get a bit bigger and supposedly be slightly more confident and potentially grumpy, but still pretty peaceful for a damsel. It also may or may not still eat flatworms (mine loves clam and LPS poop so maybe they just eat everything?), let us know ^^

spacer.png

Here's what mine was sold to me as:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/2073/?pcatid=2073

and all the threads/material I have read that talk about flatworm eating tendencies point back to the one shown on LA (not the more solid blue one), so I'm hoping there's some merit to that (true Chrysiptera springeri or not).   But if it doesn't go for the flatworms, no biggie.  It's a cool looking fish either way.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

They're a beautiful fish, love watching them.
https://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/19/chrysiptera-springer/

I have a nagging feeling that you are the fish expert in that article that Jake Adams cites as his source for the distinction between the two damsels.  LOL. 

The article makes no mention of flatworm-eating.  So I'm hoping both will eat flatworms since the threads/sites that I've read about flatworm eating damsels usually depict the black and blue one (of course they ID them as Chrysiptera springeri as well) when they do have a photo of the alleged flat-worm eating damsel.   I suspect both do tho, and like all things, individual results may vary.  

I am curious what the "fake" ones are being called now.  The article states the higher powers are coming up with a name for it, but that was awhile ago.

• Like 2

I honestly was expecting them to have a name by now, they probably do, I think retail just differentiates by calling them sapphire or spinger damsels depending on which variety they are.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ef4life said:

That’s a very nice looking fish

Definitely a cool, little guy (or gal)! 

Started PraziPro treatment today, will do copper treatment after about a week.  So about 21 days later and I'll be done with QT.  😑

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Water change day, so I was able to get a couple more top down shots.

IMG_20190612_220256_192.thumb.jpg.ac1dc5859b0f9fad3f32a4099b68b79b.jpg

IMG_20190612_220145_563.thumb.jpg.ac5e6b3475e1344fd314761fa89c4f65.jpg

Dude those cloves 😍😍😍

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Dude those cloves 😍😍😍

Glad you like them cuz I don't got much in this tank.  Lol. 

Need to hunker down and get some more coral up in here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico