ReefCleaners.org

Tigahboy

@SeaFurn I went ahead and ordered the Rio 90.  It's actually smaller than all of the options I listed above and has reasonably good reviews.   If it's noisy, I may end up with a lot of extra pumps.  LOL.  Thanks again!

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

@SeaFurn I went ahead and ordered the Rio 90.  It's actually smaller than all of the options I listed above and has reasonably good reviews.   If it's noisy, I may end up with a lot of extra pumps.  LOL.  Thanks again!

Cool! Well I hope it’s not noisy for you. Found the picture. 

I think you might be able to hide the pump behind the volcano too.

• Like 2
Underworld2.0
23 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Water cleared up a lot.  Here's the latest FTS showing the rock rubble scape.  

IMG_20190408_195507_201.jpg

This to me is amazing ! I'm so stoked to see this evolve 👍

• Like 2

Thanks @Underworld2.0!  I've been having so much fun working on this pico and checking out other contestants' tanks!  And we still have a long way to go.  Excited to see how all of these picos look at the end of all of this.  

• Like 1

Still waiting for my cycle to finish.  Don't fail me, Dr. Tim!

So until then, here's a couple better shots of my volcano. 😂

IMG_20190409_220045_034.jpg

IMG_20190409_220131_105.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 2

@yoshii @748S911 @Ratvan thanks!  Nice of you to say.  I was totally on the fence about adding the volcano thinking it would be a liability, but I'm glad it stayed. 🙂

I ordered a remote control outlet plug for the volcano light and bubbler so my son and I can turn it on easier.  Should make it easier to enjoy the 🌋.

• Like 5
Snow_Phoenix
6 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

@yoshii @748S911 @Ratvan thanks!  Nice of you to say.  I was totally on the fence about adding the volcano thinking it would be a liability, but I'm glad it stayed. 🙂

I ordered a remote control outlet plug for the volcano light and bubbler so my son and I can turn it on easier.  Should make it easier to enjoy the 🌋.

I think the volcano was an excellent choice. Plus, I like the overall theme. The multiple light colors is pretty cool too. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Snow_Phoenix thanks!  Glad you like it.  There's 16 color options for the backlight, so it's nice to be able keep mixing things up. 

Everyday I ask my son what backlight color he'd like for the day and that's what gets set.  

• Like 3

The volcano is awesome, but the tiki man with volcano sign is too cool lol. 

Tiki hut+tiki man+palm+volcano+black Tahitian sand+reef scape= awesomeness!!

36 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I think the volcano was an excellent choice. Plus, I like the overall theme. The multiple light colors is pretty cool too. 🙂 

The volcano is awesome, but the tiki man with volcano sign is too cool lol. 

Tiki hut+tiki man+palm+volcano+black Tahitian sand+reef scape= awesomeness!!

29 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

@Snow_Phoenix thanks!  Glad you like it.  There's 16 color options for the backlight, so it's nice to be able keep mixing things up. 

Everyday I ask my son what backlight color he'd like for the day and that's what gets set.  

The aqua blue was an amazing choice.

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

The aqua blue was an amazing choice.

I like that color as well.  My son calls it the "light blue" one.  

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

I finally got all caught up on the progress @Tigahboy, this is such a fun pico reef concept! The live rock rubble around the volcano is such a great aquascape solution, very clever. All the accent lights really add to the playful concept too, I've never seen a reef tank quite like this!

It's going to be neat to see what coral you decide on once the cycle is through, waiting is the hardest part! That ceramic bio-media is really interesting too, it sounds ideal for the situation. It should be safe to remove the media bag and rinse it free of exterior detritus if ever needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

I finally got all caught up on the progress @Tigahboy, this is such a fun pico reef concept! The live rock rubble around the volcano is such a great aquascape solution, very clever. All the accent lights really add to the playful concept too, I've never seen a reef tank quite like this!

It's going to be neat to see what coral you decide on once the cycle is through, waiting is the hardest part! That ceramic bio-media is really interesting too, it sounds ideal for the situation. It should be safe to remove the media bag and rinse it free of exterior detritus if ever needed.

Thanks for stopping by and your feedback!  I'm really digging this pico so far, especially since it's the only reef tank I have at this point.  

I'm still working out stocking in my head, but have a general idea of where this will be going. Still have plenty of time to work it out tho with cycling and all. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 748S911 said:

How are we looking on your cycle? 

Still just waiting.  According to Dr. Tim's fishless cycle method, the tank should be cycled by next Monday/Tuesday though (but who knows). 

After I'm done cycling, I plan to add some biodiversity up in here (i.e., pods galore), CUC, then corals.  So a long way before things get really interesting.  This thread is going to be a real snoozefest until the coral stage.  Maybe I'll start posting more vids of the volcano in action.  Haven't done that in awhile.  😂

13 minutes ago, Lostandfound said:

This looks great! Love the blue. My kids in LOVE with the volcano. That tank glass is beautiful 

I'm glad your kids like it!  My son is still into it as well (for now).  Once I add the remote control so he can control the volcano, he'll be really into it tho.  I showed him some photos of pom-pom crabs today as well and he seemed pretty stoked.

• Like 1

Other things on my to-do list while I wait for my tank to finish cycling (aside from finding a quiet, tiny powerhead for circulation):

1. Adding a really low profile ATO.  Seems like Smart ATO Micro and Hydro Smart Level Control are the smallest.  If I'm missing a smaller option, do let me know please.  🙂

2. Finish up my cable management/remote control add on.

3. Figure out the latest and greatest test kits (Calc, Alk, Mg, Phos, etc.).  If anyone has an opinion on reliable, easy to use test kits, please do share.  I've been out of the hobby for a decade, so don't know what's what anymore on products.  Is everyone using those fancy digital Hannah Instruments testers?  They seem really pricey, but nice to have digital since I have a hard time discerning the colors.  Salifert still good? 

Just bit the bullet and sprang for one of those Hannah Instruments digital waterproof salinity testers b/c it seems like my life will get a whole lot easier using that over my refractometer.  

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Other things on my to-do list while I wait for my tank to finish cycling (aside from finding a quiet, tiny powerhead for circulation):

1. Adding a really low profile ATO.  Seems like Smart ATO Micro and Hydro Smart Level Control are the smallest.  If I'm missing a smaller option, do let me know please.  🙂

2. Finish up my cable management/remote control add on.

3. Figure out the latest and greatest test kits (Calc, Alk, Mg, Phos, etc.).  If anyone has an opinion on reliable, easy to use test kits, please do share.  I've been out of the hobby for a decade, so don't know what's what anymore on products.  Is everyone using those fancy digital Hannah Instruments testers?  They seem really pricey, but nice to have digital since I have a hard time discerning the colors.  Salifert still good? 

Just bit the bullet and sprang for one of those Hannah Instruments digital waterproof salinity testers b/c it seems like my life will get a whole lot easier using that over my refractometer.  

Fancy, but nice. Those hannah checkers look great as far as ease of use. I am with you on the Micro ATO, I want something as small as possible too. Your tank is looking fantastic by the way! Sorry I haven't posted on here in a bit, I've been busy, trying to get my tank wet tonight! It's been a crazy couple of days. 

Cable management...been banging my head against the wall for the past hour wrapping up cables into little bundles. It seems like i have 15 things going to outlets or timers on my tank omgomgomg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
19 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Fancy, but nice. Those hannah checkers look great as far as ease of use. I am with you on the Micro ATO, I want something as small as possible too. Your tank is looking fantastic by the way! Sorry I haven't posted on here in a bit, I've been busy, trying to get my tank wet tonight! It's been a crazy couple of days. 

Cable management...been banging my head against the wall for the past hour wrapping up cables into little bundles. It seems like i have 15 things going to outlets or timers on my tank omgomgomg

Thanks!  Yeah, it's insane the number of outlets we need for this tiny pico.  The volcano alone on mine needs 2 outlets.  Ugh.  I'm trying to move all cables and power strip into my stand in a tidy way.  Trying to stay organized.  

Looking forward to seeing your tank get wet!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Thanks!  Yeah, it's insane the number of outlets we need for this tiny pico.  The volcano alone on mine needs 2 outlets.  Ugh.  I'm trying to move all cables and power strip into my stand in a tidy way.  Trying to stay organized.  

Looking forward to seeing your tank get wet!

🤔 I need to work on my cable management too.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico