Top Shelf Aquatics

Tigahboy

Been slow to pull the trigger on lights since I don't really need them yet.  So I had to borrow the lights from my FW tank to show you guys the rock rubble scape.  😂  

Basically used only tiny rubble pieces and tried to better integrate them with the hut and the volcano as a lot of you suggested.  And that was a good call btw; so thanks to those of you who suggested it.  N-R crowdsourcing at its finest.  I think once real coraline takes over both the rubble and the volcano, it will look really integrated. 

IMG_20190407_211429_492.thumb.jpg.af5db37f69e55de21ccff5d8b9652035.jpg

IMG_20190407_211523_585.thumb.jpg.736391717a1275f6d447c813e2260a09.jpg

What is shown is actually 2lb 2 oz of LR, so we should be in good shape.   

• Like 7
  • Wow 2

And one final backlit shot of the night with standard white lighting.  I really like the subtle red glow from the volcano.

IMG_20190407_211623_573.thumb.jpg.e046996203b2a54bb01f084e69edf41a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
19 hours ago, seabass said:

I think most of the controversy has come with surface skimming boxes attached to the tank walls.  I feel for CM, with having to be the enforcer.  It's hard to say no, especially because I can tell that he really likes the innovative aspects (but it's just not part of this particular contest).

Im wondering about that too, in rules says ok for surface skimmer.

2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:
The true old school way to cycle this tank would be to pop in a damsel fish with the intent of re-homing it once the cycle is done.  Only to learn later that it's nearly impossible to catch a damsel once inside your tank, then be resigned to the fact that you'll have to live with the damsel as a squatter forever.

I have two green chromis squatters currently, they are def going back tho....lol

@Tigahboy

Tank scape is looking amazing, I like how you still kept the minimalistic look and feel.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

I'd have to recheck the wording, but I believe it says something like surface skimming mods to the HOB filter itself are allowed.  The boxes, which are mounted to the tank, might serve the same purpose, but they have the potential to seriously alter the aesthetics of the tank.  Then there's the matter of where to draw the cut off line.

3 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'd have to recheck the wording, but I believe it says something like surface skimming mods to the HOB filter itself are allowed.  The boxes, which are mounted to the tank, might serve the same purpose, but they have the potential to seriously alter the aesthetics of the tank.  Then there's the matter of where to draw the cut off line.

all it says is this. Ive been looking for a really nice one, most of them have magnets to secure it in place.

Surface skimmer modifications for hang on back filter. 

8 hours ago, 748S911 said:

all it says is this... Surface skimmer modifications for hang on back filter. 

You're right, based on subsequent clarifications, the rules probably should have stated to instead of for.  I think maybe that's where the confusion arose.  However, it seems to me like CM has clarified this (although without changing the original language).  I feel that once the rules had been finalized, he's been consistent with his clarifications.  That's my take on it anyway.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, kimdawg said:

The rock looks very natural with the hut and volcano and I love all of your backlight shots.

I'm glad cuz this thread is probably going to be like 90% backlit photos from here on out.  LOL.  

8 hours ago, 748S911 said:

I have two green chromis squatters currently, they are def going back tho....lol

@Tigahboy

Tank scape is looking amazing, I like how you still kept the minimalistic look and feel.

Green chromis is definitely old school.  Haha.

8 hours ago, yoshii said:

Love the scape! It looks amazing backlit

:) Backlit all day every day up in this thread.  

4 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Loving the minimal scape and that backlight

I was hoping for a minimalist scape, so glad to hear!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

Water cleared up a lot.  Here's the latest FTS showing the rock rubble scape.  

IMG_20190408_195507_201.jpg

Nailed it! lots of depth with scape! This pico needs some corals!  

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Nailed it! lots of depth with scape! This pico needs some corals!  

10 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Tank is looking awesome! I really like the red light of the volcano

Next, corals!!

Thanks!  I'm dying for coral too, but see Spiderman post above.  Haha. 

• Haha 1

Still need to decide on what to do about circulation for this pico.   Want silent and as small as possible (which is hard to find).  Contenders thus far (tho leaning towards 1 or 2 based on size and price): 

1. Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180

2. Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6020

3. Aqamai KPS

4. VorTech MP10QD 

Anyone use the Hydor Pico Evo or the Tunze Turbelle?  If so, are they quiet?  That's my only real concern with those 2.  

45 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Still need to decide on what to do about circulation for this pico.   Want silent and as small as possible (which is hard to find).  Contenders thus far (tho leaning towards 1 or 2 based on size and price): 

3. Aqamai KPS

4. VorTech MP10QD 

Anyone use the Hydor Pico Evo or the Tunze Turbelle?  If so, are they quiet?  That's my only real concern with those 2.  

I used the Hydor Pico for about 3 or 4 years. It was great, and mine was really quiet until about 4 years in, when it started to make noise. I didn't know about cleaning impellers and magnets on pumps for the first couple years, so I'm surprised it lasted that long without any maintainence. I suspect with regular cleaning it woulda kept going strong.

Mind you, there was a good amount of white noise in the room, but I remember it being fairly silent, and pretty maneuverable as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I used the Hydor Pico for about 3 or 4 years. It was great, and mine was really quiet until about 4 years in, when it started to make noise. I didn't know about cleaning impellers and magnets on pumps for the first couple years, so I'm surprised it lasted that long without any maintainence. I suspect with regular cleaning it woulda kept going strong.

Mind you, there was a good amount of white noise in the room, but I remember it being fairly silent, and pretty maneuverable as well.

Very helpful!  Thank you. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

#1 hydor 180 is very quiet. That is the only one on your list I have experience with.

Thanks for the input!

1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

3. Aqamai KPS

4. VorTech MP10QD 

How about a Rio 90 suctioned to the side of the tank? 

Ive seen a picture of that on a small tank on IG before and it seemed like a good option. I’ll see if I can find it for you. 

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

How about a Rio 90 suctioned to the side of the tank? 

Ive seen a picture of that on a small tank on IG before and it seemed like a good option. I’ll see if I can find it for you. 

That seems like a good option too.  Definitely low profile.   Thanks for the suggestion!

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico