ReefCleaners.org

Tigahboy

10 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Everytime I return to my water station to check on the progress, I think to myself: ok, how bad will the flooding be?  But no leaks yet! fingerscrossed *Knocks on wood*

I was trying to think optimistically about the timeline to get my tank wet, so I fired up the water station in preparation thereof.

IMG_20190403_220055_552.jpg

I showed this to my husband and asked him to make me one!!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Dims for the HOB:  3.3" wide x 4" tall x 2" deep

thanks, but I need how tall where it sits from trim

Just now, kimberbee said:

I showed this to my husband and asked him to make me one!!

Nice!  You can get the plastic shelving from a lot of places and they are cheap, but I got mine from Costco.  Better price than HD or Lowes.  They can support a lot of weight so they should be able to support the lbs.  Brute containers are food safe and I got them on Amazon.

1 minute ago, 748S911 said:

thanks, but I need how tall where it sits from trim

Ohhh.  LOL.  I can check when I get home.  Stay tuned!

• Like 2

So are you still going to be using the tiny HOB? I almost bought one of those but went for the Azoo 150 as it was just a few bucks more for name brand. If it still works for you in a few months I might grab a couple, I've seen them as cheap as ~$5 on Aliexpress and Alibab types of places from time to time.

I'm very happy with the Mignon 150 🙂

Shoot, I have six of the Azoo 60s' coming on monday, and no need for them lol. I'll probably make up some custom filter pad racks for them out of that craft mesh and then just test them before I stuff them aside.

Just now, Lingwendil said:

So are you still going to be using the tiny HOB? I almost bought one of those but went for the Azoo 150 as it was just a few bucks more for name brand. If it still works for you in a few months I might grab a couple, I've seen them as cheap as ~$5 on Aliexpress and Alibab types of places from time to time.

Shoot, I have six of the Azoo 60s' coming on monday, and no need for them lol. I'll probably make up some custom filter pad racks for them out of that craft mesh and then just test them before I stuff them aside.

As of now, yes I will.  I have to finish cleaning it (i.e., getting rid of the funky smell) and then I'll try to fire it up and see how it works.  If it's quiet enough and I can fit sufficient bio media plus maybe small bag of carbon or poly filter, it should be good to go.  I'm hoping to test it out by Friday.

LOL.  I'm glad I didn't order those Azoo 60s (though I really really wanted to).

For how cheap they are I figured why not lol. Good for future Betta setups, and I plan to maybe sell a couple locally for ~$10 each to pay for the order 🙂. I may grab another 2.5 gallon and a spare heater to build a starter kit/care package for a friend who needs an excuse to set up another tank, as he's currently tankless.

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
13 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

For how cheap they are I figured why not lol. Good for future Betta setups, and I plan to maybe sell a couple locally for ~$10 each to pay for the order 🙂. I may grab another 2.5 gallon and a spare heater to build a starter kit/care package for a friend who needs an excuse to set up another tank, as he's currently tankless.

That’s pretty awesome 👏 

PROTIP: when filling your tank with water, always aim for the center of the volcano to minimize disturbance to the rest of the tank. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Protip: when filling your tank with water, always aim for the center of the volcano to minimize disturbance to the rest of the tank. 

OMG when it starts to move, I busted up...🤣

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Everytime I return to my water station to check on the progress, I think to myself: ok, how bad will the flooding be?  But no leaks yet! fingerscrossed *Knocks on wood*

I was trying to think optimistically about the timeline to get my tank wet, so I fired up the water station in preparation thereof.

IMG_20190403_220055_552.jpg

This...is...aaaaaawesome! 

I'm sitting here, looking at 3 x 5 gallon buckets, with pumps and wires and...yeah...facepalm

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

This...is...aaaaaawesome! 

I'm sitting here, looking at 3 x 5 gallon buckets, with pumps and wires and...yeah...facepalm

I don't know how you can live like that.  When I need water I be like:

• Wow 2
3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I mean, after seeing this, I don't think I CAN live like that anymore

• Haha 1
This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

You and your fancy valves 

I just run a tube and flip a switch 😂 

• Haha 2

Saltwater mixed and all equipment in!  I'm sticking to the old school theme by not trying to hide any of my equipment.  😂 I was tempted to go ahead and put in sand and LR, but I promised my son I'd do that with him and he's asleep now.  So a project for tomorrow.

2019_0404_21323800.thumb.jpg.93f91d431b1277a523d9487e3db73f96.jpg

I'm gonna miss the minimalism of an empty tank without any equipment tho.  😥

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

PROTIP: when filling your tank with water, always aim for the center of the volcano to minimize disturbance to the rest of the tank. 

Another words!

il_570xN.1060276168_8xmn.jpg

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Saltwater mixed and all equipment in!  I'm sticking to the old school theme by not trying to hide any of my equipment.  😂 I was tempted to go ahead and put in sand and LR, but I promised my son I'd do that with him and he's asleep now.  So a project for tomorrow.

Looking good!! Cant wait to see sand and rock. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

That's the way we use to do it in the old days. Before AIO tanks and esthetics! Minus the palm tree and volcano of course. :haha:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, KISReef said:

That's the way we use to do it in the old days. Before AIO tanks and esthetics! Minus the palm tree and volcano of course. :haha:

Very true.

9 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Last cloudy tank shot of the night.  

IMG_20190404_224414_047.thumb.jpg.b690411aceb78669ce8290543549d8c6.jpg

It's Awesome that you are sharing this experience with your son. It must make you a proud parent. Way to go (Dad) and pass on the knowledge to the next generation! 👍

• Like 5
Just now, KISReef said:

It's Awesome that you are sharing this experience with your son. It must make you a proud parent. Way to go (Dad) and pass on the knowledge to the next generation! 👍

It's definitely awesome getting to work on this with my son (actually more enjoyable this time around), but it also definitely slows things down a great deal. 😁

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Tigahboy's 🌋 Pico