Top Shelf Aquatics

Joe Pie's 2.5 - Janky tank comp

JP728

Snow_Phoenix

The scape actually makes the tank appear very large and roomy. It's amazing how you managed to set it up. I feel so clumsy everytime I stick a hand in my Pico - I keep bumping into things lol. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

The scape actually makes the tank appear very large and roomy. It's amazing how you managed to set it up. I feel so clumsy everytime I stick a hand in my Pico - I keep bumping into things lol. 

I totally agree. I was gonna try to create the same effect in mine, but after seeing this, i'm a little nervous about the possible outcome. Really, @JP728, nicely done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, JP728 said:

I stayed up late last night so I could finish gluing my rock together. I have to say I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I'm leaning towards making this tank a ricordea garden as long as I'm able to find a wide variety of colors. If not, I might use some frags from my main tank like some blastos and possibly my OG bounce if it splits a baby soon. The flow up top in the tank is pretty strong so I might be able to pull off some acros up on the top arch. We'll see. For now I'm going to admire my custom rock while I work on my plan. I also cut my own polycarbonate lexan lid this morning which provides a more refined look and should help with evaporation.

20190401_101512.jpg

20190401_101620.jpg

20190401_101530.jpg

Awesome scape! What did you use to glue all the pieces together?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Thanks Snow_Phoenix, I actually had the same issue with bumping into things haha. I'm worried I'll knock some rocks over when I go to put corals in!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, caas1496 said:

Awesome scape! What did you use to glue all the pieces together?

Thank you! It took 22g of super glue gel to finish the job. I know that sounds like a lot but the little 2g super glues I had were only sufficient for one or two welds at best.

8 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

That’s a lot of epoxy 

did you rinse before you put into the baby tank? 

It definitely was a good amount of glue, but no I wasnt able to rinse it. I actually had to create the scape inside the tank. I started outside but the glue was taking too long to dry and I didnt want to kill any good bacteria. Plus after gluing a couple pieces outside of the tank I quickly realized it was too fragile to pick up and place inside.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
29 minutes ago, JP728 said:

Thanks Snow_Phoenix, I actually had the same issue with bumping into things haha. I'm worried I'll knock some rocks over when I go to put corals in!

I actually have better mobility using a wooden chopstick to move things around in the tank. Maybe you could try that too, if you're having too much trouble? Another option would be long forceps/tweezers. 

• Like 2

I've been having trouble keeping a steady temperature in the tank so I've ordered a cheap temp controller. It has been ranging from 76-82 degrees and I haven't been able to keep my lid on it. Once the controller comes in and the temp stabilizes I plan to go to my LFS to trade in my 18 head frogspawn from my main tank for some new frags for the 2.5. I'd love to keep euphyllia in there but I'm afraid they'd take up too much space. I've been leaning towards some mushrooms and ricordea, a couple acans, a blasto and I might try to keep an acro or two up top. In the meantime, here's a FTS from this morning, starting to see a lot of algae growing in the glass.

20190408_082148.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

I picked up my order of snails last night that I split with @GraniteReefer! Most went in my main tank but I sent 9 dwarf ceriths and 2 baby nassarius to the 2.5. I also recieved my temp controller in the mail today so things are going pretty well! If I have some time today I might add my first frag to the tank, and next weekend I'll go to my lfs some more frags and a goby!

20190413_165325.jpg

20190413_165714.jpg

20190413_165843.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1