Pod Your Reef

Black Sponge!?

Clown_goby<3

Clown_goby<3

Does black ball sponge ever grow in a tube like shape?? I'm not worried about them being harmful I have some pineapple sponge that I love, the black ones just seem to be growing upward and I cant find a picture of anything similar to ID it 

Snow_Phoenix
6 minutes ago, Clown_goby<3 said:

Does black ball sponge ever grow in a tube like shape?? I'm not worried about them being harmful I have some pineapple sponge that I love, the black ones just seem to be growing upward and I cant find a picture of anything similar to ID it 

Mine retained the ball-like shape. It's quite unique actually because that system I have it in is a simple FOWLR with only two fish and no CUC. It just popped out of the blue one day on a loose LR rubble and has been growing slowly ever since. 

Clown_goby<3

I've had ball sponges before they pop up then go away these guys are growing slowly but they are growing in multiple areas of the tank. I like them so I  will just leave them be. 😊

• Like 1

If you want to encourage sponge growth you can dose small amounts of Creatine Monohydrate (the bodybuilding stuff) at like a pinch or two every couple of days, they love it and really explode with growth. 

Clown_goby<3

Oh that is interesting, I never would have thought! I would if it was a prettier color Haha They are great little filter feeders and arent bothering anything in the aquarium. Fun little things. Thanks for the tip!!