Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yoshii's Old School 2.5g Hawaiian Pico 🌴

yoshii

That scape looks cool!

I'd love to be able to wade through a tide pool & just observe the different critters there.

You're so lucky!!!

Can't wait to see how creative you get with your macro placement.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

That scape looks great imo!  And congrats on getting the tank wet!

Thanks! Can't wait to add more stuff 🙂

16 hours ago, Wendy said:

That scape looks cool!

I'd love to be able to wade through a tide pool & just observe the different critters there.

You're so lucky!!!

Can't wait to see how creative you get with your macro placement.

Thanks! Maybe I'll keep it this way and see how it looks once I start adding macros

• Like 4

Found another tiny Petite Goby that hitchhiked into one of our tanks at work today @Tigahboy! I tried to catch it a few times, but it must be smarter than me! Although in my defense it's a 1/2" goby in 20' diameter tank full of corals :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
14 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Found another tiny Petite Goby that hitchhiked into one of our tanks at work today @Tigahboy! I tried to catch it a few times, but it must be smarter than me! Although in my defense it's a 1/2" goby in 20' diameter tank full of corals :lol:

😮  Hope you can catch it! 

And then ship to me.

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

😮  Hope you can catch it! 

And then ship to me.

I'll just say.. I'll try to catch it again 😛

In other news,

My waterproof camera arrived just in time! It's been windy and rainy lately, but I plan on trying to go collecting tomorrow 🙂 There's a low tide at 6am so I'm going to try to drag myself out of bed (I'm NOT a morning person) and get there in time.

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

Underwater shots will be really cool.

Yeah! I can't wait to test it out. I used to have another cheapo waterproof camera and it finally died after several years, so I hope this one will also last me a while

Yeah, I had a cheapo one too from Costco, but it died as well.  I've since tried water proof cases for my phones.  Hard to use though.  

7 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Yeah, I had a cheapo one too from Costco, but it died as well.  I've since tried water proof cases for my phones.  Hard to use though.  

I love everything about my el cheapo phone, except its terrible camera. So I opted for the waterproof compact. Do those phone cases work? I don't think I would trust it

Just remember, to rinse your camera out with distilled or RO water when your done playing in saltwater.  What did you end up buying?

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
8 hours ago, yoshii said:

I'll just say.. I'll try to catch it again 😛

In other news,

My waterproof camera arrived just in time! It's been windy and rainy lately, but I plan on trying to go collecting tomorrow 🙂 There's a low tide at 6am so I'm going to try to drag myself out of bed (I'm NOT a morning person) and get there in time.

Are you going out there with a spaghetti strainer?

1 hour ago, yoshii said:

I love everything about my el cheapo phone, except its terrible camera. So I opted for the waterproof compact. Do those phone cases work? I don't think I would trust it

The ones I bought were waterproof but a pain to use.  Like impossible for the touch screen to work with the case on, so practically worthless.  I am curious which camera you bought as well.

21 minutes ago, seabass said:

Just remember, to rinse your camera out with distilled or RO water when your done playing in saltwater.  What did you end up buying?

Thanks! I'm very paranoid about salt build up so I always soak in FW for 30min-1hr afterwards

I got a Fujifilm XP120, $100 on eBay. It says its waterproof down to 65ft, so maybe I'll take it diving too if it works well in the shallows.

17 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Are you going out there with a spaghetti strainer?

:lol: I should! Nah I think I'll try out plastic bags for now. They are clear, so they should work even better...right? 😛
But I do plan on going out sometime (maybe in a week or two) at night to look for cool shrimp and sleeping fish that are easier to catch.

• Like 3

Packing my bag tomorrow: ziploc bags, dive knife (in case the algae fights back), old skippy peanut butter jars, a rain jacket, gloves, booties, camera, flashlight... :wacko:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I didn't get rained on, but it got windy as the sun rose. Beach #1 didn't really work out, surf was so big I couldn't get to the lower intertidal where all the interesting stuff is. I did catch two fish, but put them back. You guys will see why when I post pics! :Ninja:

Beach #2 was much better, it has a very shallow reef rubble flat, so I could walk out really far and hunt for algae 😄

I may grab breakfast and my fins and go snorkeling on the other side of the island, we'll see.

The only problem I had was my camera said it was out of memory, but it said "internal memory". I put a SD card in before, but I couldn't find a setting to switch to external memory. 

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Is there anything cool at Sharks Cove?  Seems super easy to catch stuff there.  Tho lots of tourists.

There's lots of fish in the big tidepool, but I need small pools to be able to catch any fish with my little baggie lol. Plus I'm looking for juvi fishes, or tiny gobies/blennies which prefer the small shallow pools. Also I don't remember if there's a lot of algae there. I've only been twice, once in the tidepool and once next to it (which is much cooler imo). So there are probably other good areas around there though that I haven't seen yet. I haven't explored North Shore much

Maybe next weekend I'll go over to the Makapu'u Tidepools, one of my fav places on the island so far, but they are probably getting pummeled by surf right now.

I stopped to rinse and sort my macro goodies, then I'm off to the west side, where I saw those little black zebra blennies and baby mamo last week! Hopefully I can find them again

• Like 5

Seems like a much more satisfying way to stock a tank than going to your LFS to see if they have received anything new

• Like 5
1 hour ago, MetaTank said:

Seems like a much more satisfying way to stock a tank than going to your LFS to see if they have received anything new

If you can catch em haha

I ended up not going to the west side cause I stopped at another beach and caught myself a black zebra blenny there. I tried to catch a mamo, but those buggers are fast!

I didn't take pics at this beach because my camera died (I think). Maybe it doesn't have great battery life? I'll see when I get home if there's something actually wrong with it or not

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Can't wait to see the little blenny you caught!!!

He's super cute! The little ones were super easy to catch with the plastic bag. So I caught a few and kept the smallest one.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, yoshii said:

He's super cute! The little ones were super easy to catch with the plastic bag. So I caught a few and kept the smallest one.

pic?

So looking forward to the pics.  You are literally diving in the Pacific ocean for your pico while I'm just driving to IKEA for mine (tho I do have to brave Socal traffic).

• Haha 4
38 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

pic?

Just getting them off the camera now. Which seemed to have fixed itself, weird.

38 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

So looking forward to the pics.  You are literally diving in the Pacific ocean for your pico while I'm just driving to IKEA for mine (tho I do have to brave Socal traffic).

Hahaha SoCal/ LA traffic is the WORST

• Like 1
  • Haha 1