Pod Your Reef

Yoshii's Old School 2.5g Hawaiian Pico 🌴

yoshii

12 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Oh wow.  Hands down the most interesting/cool/awesome livestock in this competition thus far.  Get those in the pico asap!

Thanks! I'm working on it! I'm hoping I'll be able to find some more cool critters when I go collecting! I'm dying to go lol, I can't wait for the weekend. I also ordered a waterproof camera so I can take pictures, although it might not get here before this weekend.

Picked up water jugs today, which means I can scape tonight and get SW in the tank tomorrow! :happydance:

• Like 3

Excited to finally get this tank going...everyone else already has theirs stocked with corals!!

Considering whether to add one of these blennies or not. "Zebra Blenny", super common in tidepools, and endemic to Hawaii

image.png.9e3e3b59c76b62ca7aa7a816b59bc808.png

As juvis they look like this (black) but then they turn into these giant (7.5") blennies that love to jump

image.png.c36c26f9c3f429e0954367be4d0ab7a0.png

As you walk around the tidepools you will see them leaping from pool to pool. I don't know if the tiny juvis will do the same, but if they do, I'd have to make a cover for this tank.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
12 hours ago, yoshii said:

Although the tank doesn't have saltwater in it yet, I figure I'd introduce some of the future livestock.

For the past few weeks I've been keeping a few tiny hitchhiker gobies at work, in this ultimate jank tank :lol: (The dive slate is for shade from afternoon sun)

IMG_20190328_173642817_HDR.thumb.jpg.035f8c339739306f16457bf00a45bae3.jpg

Two are "Petite Gobies" Priolepis farcimen. They like to hang upside down under ledges, so I haven't gotten a good picture of them yet.

"A tiny and rarely seen inhabitant of reefs.  Reddish-brown to greenish gray with fine blue vertical lines on the head.  Attains 1 inch.  Endemic to Hawaii and Johnston Island.  Formerly known as Zonogobius farcimen."

image.png.6a3689455e0f0d41199a74ca2a8e2645.png

These guys are really tiny but cute, I've been feeding them sprirulina brine, they are too small to eat mysis.

The other goby is a "Halfspotted Goby" Asterropteryx semipunctatus. It changes color a lot (dark/light) but usually looks like this picture. Since it got added with the Petite gobies, I think they have become much less shy. Although I'm not sure if I want to keep this goby in my pico...kinda drab.

Edit: Just looked up reefs.org says this goby can live at least 11 years in an aquarium!

image.png.5bd43ed08b6e90af88b4c8754da31d81.png

I also found this anemone I really like, but it's NPS and will probably eat my gobies :sad:

IMG_20190402_180949557.thumb.jpg.0c5648e3db308fe904b0248bd30e7777.jpg

Wao!!!! I wish I lived there.....

Mm. I don't like this sand. It reminds me of freshwater gravel. PetSmart sells small bags of white sand, but I think it's for freshwater, anyone know if it would be safe for SW?

IMG_20190409_202732635.jpg

IMG_20190406_150751395.jpg

3 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Mm. I don't like this sand. It reminds me of freshwater gravel. PetSmart sells small bags of white sand, but I think it's for freshwater, anyone know if it would be safe for SW?

IMG_20190409_202732635.jpg

IMG_20190406_150751395.jpg

I dont see why not?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

I dont see why not?

I don't know if it's like playground sand that would not work in a reef tank, if it would leak silicates etc. I looked at it briefly (took the pic for price) and it didn't look like normal sand, it was weirdly uniform size pieces

3 minutes ago, seabass said:

If it's for freshwater, it wouldn't be calcium carbonate, so no buffering.  However, I'd think it should be alright to use.

Eh I don't think CaCO3 sand really buffers anyway, so it doesn't matter to me. Just as long as it doesn't leach stuff

3 minutes ago, yoshii said:

I don't know if it's like playground sand that would not work in a reef tank, if it would leak silicates etc. I looked at it briefly (took the pic for price) and it didn't look like normal sand, it was weirdly uniform size pieces

Just go to beach and fill your pockets everyday until you fill your pico. 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, 748S911 said:

Just go to beach and fill your pockets everyday until you fill your pico. 🤣 

Women's pants pockets are quite small, or non-existent, so that might take a while! :lol:

• Haha 3
Just now, yoshii said:

Women's pants pockets are quite small, or non-existent, so that might take a while! :lol:

Beach bag 🏖😂 lol let me stop before the sand 👮🏻‍♂️get you. 

My favorite out of all of those fish options is the Petite Goby.  I was planning to go fishless but all this fish talk makes me want a fish now.

• Like 5
Christopher Marks
On 4/9/2019 at 10:11 AM, yoshii said:

Two are "Petite Gobies" Priolepis farcimen. They like to hang upside down under ledges, so I haven't gotten a good picture of them yet.

"A tiny and rarely seen inhabitant of reefs.  Reddish-brown to greenish gray with fine blue vertical lines on the head.  Attains 1 inch.  Endemic to Hawaii and Johnston Island.  Formerly known as Zonogobius farcimen."

image.png.6a3689455e0f0d41199a74ca2a8e2645.png

These guys are really tiny but cute, I've been feeding them sprirulina brine, they are too small to eat mysis.

These are really beautiful fish, seems ideal for your pico reef. Maybe you could build a shelf or cave of some kind for them in your aquascape?

5 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

My favorite out of all of those fish options is the Petite Goby.  I was planning to go fishless but all this fish talk makes me want a fish now.

Me too! I'm hoping I can train them to be more tame. Today they came out of their caves to eat from the pipette, but they only dash out then it's back to their caves.

Do it! Fishie fishie, you know you want one!

2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

These are really beautiful fish, seems ideal for your pico reef. Maybe you could build a shelf or cave of some kind for them in your aquascape?

I think the rock I'm using should provide enough crevices, I haven't finalized my aquascape yet, but I think there will be some caves :ninja:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, yoshii said:

Me too! I'm hoping I can train them to be more tame. Today they came out of their caves to eat from the pipette, but they only dash out then it's back to their caves.

Do it! Fishie fishie, you know you want one!

Two questions: (1) how big do the Petite Gobies get, and (2) can you ship one to me?  

We have SALTWATER woo!

image.png.9b9ebcaee98aa453381ec8a171253bfd.png

I switched out the sand for some white petsmart stuff, I like it so far! I also added some ceramic bioball things from an established system and an airstone (since I don't have my HOB yet)

I haven't cycled a tank in forever and I have no plans to do so ever again lol

Petsmart "gravel" sand

image.png.bc85193eafe0aecbd7b0e32d55c6a103.png

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Two questions: (1) how big do the Petite Gobies get, and (2) can you ship one to me?  

1) Online says 1", these guys are pretty small, like Trimma/Eviota sized

2)

image.png.fa380bb62e37fa4944d98765ab85af4c.png

• Haha 6

Alright...I need to get my scape together. I feel like I have to think like a freshwater planted tank scaper since I'll have macros in here. My previous macros tanks I just kinda throw tall caulerpa in the back, throw some reds mixed in the front and call it a day. But I'd like to try a little more with this tank.

Right now I can't decide how much rock I want to put in the tank. If I stick with small pieces then maybe the tank will seem larger, but with more rock I have more attachment points for coral (zoas) 🤔

This was what I put together last night (before I replaced the sand)
image.png.9b0360fa521f4c78ebef09c76af47cfe.png

image.png.8c713f5e25ebe0ab21c201c15b0eb6f0.png

• Like 6