SaltCritters.com

Yoshii's Old School 2.5g Hawaiian Pico 🌴

yoshii

On 5/21/2019 at 7:38 AM, Ratvan said:

Beautiful tank, I keep wanting to ask about the lighting then I remember it's natural.

Would love to see more of the Zebra Goby if it ever stops being shy 😍😍

Oh the Zebra Blenny is out and about almost all the time! I should get more pics of him. Definitely not shy anymore 🙂

On 5/21/2019 at 8:29 AM, Maddie said:

I'm not quite sure how to tell them apart. I hope that the other little one is found! Gorgeous tank!

Thank you! I think the chances are slim now, but I'm still hoping it will appear.

• Like 2

Figured out the (cool) reason my Halimeda has been getting white!

Found this little guy on the glass, a "sap-sucking slug" (probably Elysia spp. Edit: yep, Elysia pusilla, sometimes called Elysiella pusilla) that sucks out the cell contents of the Halimeda, leaving the white "skeleton" behind. It uses the chloroplasts in its own body, just like the Lettuce Sea Slugs people often use to eat hair algae. Very cool! It's the exact same color as the Halimeda, and I never saw it when I was inspecting my macro.

IMG_20190522_195809530.thumb.jpg.c6122c83291cfd91294e1e8ba7d5030b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 6
Punk_Rock_Blenny
4 hours ago, yoshii said:

Figured out the (cool) reason my Halimeda has been getting white!

Found this little guy on the glass, a "sap-sucking slug" (probably Elysia spp. Edit: yep, Elysia pusilla, sometimes called Elysiella pusilla) that sucks out the cell contents of the Halimeda, leaving the white "skeleton" behind. It uses the chloroplasts in its own body, just like the Lettuce Sea Slugs people often use to eat hair algae. Very cool! It's the exact same color as the Halimeda, and I never saw it when I was inspecting my macro.

IMG_20190522_195809530.thumb.jpg.c6122c83291cfd91294e1e8ba7d5030b.jpg

It's so cute, you keeping it?

• Like 1

Your macros are looking great & love the little gobies!

Glad to hear you found out why your halimeda is turning white, very interesting sea slug!

Wonder what other interesting hitch hikers you might find in your pico!?!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread needs some updates! I've been a bit busier than usual the last few weeks and stayed off NR. And now I'm paying for it cause I have sooo many threads to catch up on!

Updates for this tank

The blenny started sleeping in the HOB at night! He'd jump in late afternoon and swim out in the morning for feeding time. This isn't too surprising since they hop from tidepool to tidepool in the wild. I thought it must be a smart fish to go back and forth without missing.

But I guess he ran out of luck. Yesterday I went collecting and when I came back he was fish jerky on the floor 😞

IMG_20190608_185409424.thumb.jpg.b2e2957563093a020e87259b90c449cd.jpg

Poor thing 😞 I don't want to get another in case they end up the same way. Maybe another goby or cardinalfish would be cool.

As far as health of the tank, it started getting some cyanobacteria patches. I have to dump in more pellets than the goby can eat, just so enough will pass by where he sits to eat. With the removal of the Halimeda and another large clump of Hairy Galaxaura I removed, I'm not surprised.

More microalgae is growing on the rocks, so that's good! And I've seen some spaghetti worms in the sand 🙂

I gave the tank a good cleaning and finally glued down some macros that have been getting knocked free (thanks to the hermit).

I may have gone a bit overboard with collecting new algae for a tiny tank, but oh well 😅 

I also collected a teeny fish ..which I may or may not keep. It's currently too small to be added to the pico (imagine that lol)

I will make a big Collection post with pics of the new goodies later today!

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

Mmm now I want some fries!

14 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Really sorry to hear about the blenny. 😓

What is the new tiny fish you managed to acquire? Is it some sort of goby?

I think I know what kind of goby it is, but I'm not sure yet. I didn't get to post pics yesterday but I should have time today.

11 hours ago, Tamberav said:

aw sorry you lost the blenny 😞 I think my hermit had the same fate. 

I saw your thread, the shell and everything went missing?

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Mmm now I want some fries!

I think I know what kind of goby it is, but I'm not sure yet. I didn't get to post pics yesterday but I should have time today.

I saw your thread, the shell and everything went missing?

Yes everything I can't find the shell anywhere around the tank either.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:45 AM, Tamberav said:

Yes everything I can't find the shell anywhere around the tank either.

So strange...maybe a pet got it?

Collecting Post!

I went collecting this past weekend and Tuesday (Hawaiian holiday, King Kamehameha Day). I went to two spots, neither of which I had collected from before. Enjoy the pics, my little waterproof camera isn't the highest quality, but it works

#1 Makapu'u Tidepools

I've been here before a few times, it's a very cool spot. After hiking down a lava rock cliff, you reach a series of large, beautiful tidepools you can snorkel/swim in. There was a lot of people the day I went so I mostly looked in some smaller tidepools off to the side.

Looking down the cliff, you can see the people at the bottom, lounging by the pools

DSCF3301.thumb.JPG.1412cb44001cc903e67917aa7a8d3d31.JPG

I'm still not used to seeing coral in tidepools...

DSCF3305.thumb.JPG.dec1b38f6444bf5482adb623e31a34b2.JPG

DSCF3312.thumb.JPG.29bba5943a6ecf1141e2d6e9f26d28e8.JPG

I forgot my knife or else I would have got some of these zoas. But I did get something else in this picture... the fish :ninja:

DSCF3333.thumb.JPG.7ec4b209ff43fd281a95358136259bd0.JPG

• Like 4
  • Wow 5

Part 2 of Makapu'u pics

Soft coral Anthelia/Sarcothelia edmondsoni, endemic to Hawai'i. It's usually more blue, but looked white in this tidepool.

DSCF3350.thumb.JPG.5d4f38a0fea8234d07e319b94b7e6f6c.JPG

DSCF3362.thumb.JPG.98e9cbe5d0be43361e5a15c3c4507cf6.JPG

I was stumped when I first saw this alga. Turns out it's an endemic species of Dasya, Dasya iridescens. Beautiful iridescent species, you can't really tell in this picture though

DSCF3365.thumb.JPG.4692765bb5f0c189c981f19a4a14b3ba.JPG

The closest thing to pink palys

DSCF3376.thumb.JPG.c03d0af2b0703cf3cff00d490c73b0cd.JPG

• Like 6
  • Wow 4

#2 Alan Davis Beach/surrounding area

I went to Alan Davis Beach on Tuesday, which is in same region as Makapu'u. I hadn't been to this beach before, but went hiking up to Makapu'u, I got a good view and thought this might be a good spot to check out. The beach itself is tiny, so I walked along the lava rock tidepools to the estuary/mangrove side (left side of the image below).

image.png.9ffa72c50279550ce7aa2e83d13cc618.png

I didn't take that many pictures, but I caught a tiny Sargent Damsel and collected a few new macros.

DSCF3384.thumb.JPG.13825a1ea3a3e5c41b54a98a7e869cba.JPG

Finally I can have feather Caulerpa in my tank! (illegal in CA)

DSCF3386.thumb.JPG.b2c3dddea32045990030dad12832b42d.JPG

DSCF3387.thumb.JPG.a21719b057c3990ade2b62f321a7b04a.JPG

Mangroves, unfortunately they are non-native and invasive here

DSCF3388.thumb.JPG.e13abbb7791dae61499bf118c5117ad5.JPG

Damsel in a Skippy peanut butter jar for scale

image.png.cb9706a623f3c0253339b75067dc18ba.png

• Like 7
  • Wow 4

Oh wow! Zoas and Palys! I heard a few years ago that the native Hawaiians used to use palytoxin from one of the Palys for hunting or something! Way cool part of history if it’s true!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
21 minutes ago, seabass said:

Wow, you have quite a selection available to you.  What are the restrictions for collecting coral?

No hard corals (Scleractinia). So just zoas, palys, and soft corals. The only soft corals here are the Blue Snowflake and a brown lumpy Sinularia. There are also some small NPS gorgs too I think, but they are rare.

15 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Oh wow! Zoas and Palys! I heard a few years ago that the native Hawaiians used to use palytoxin from one of the Palys for hunting or something! Way cool part of history if it’s true!

Oh wow that's really cool if it's true!

• Like 2