Pod Your Reef

Yoshii's Old School 2.5g Hawaiian Pico 🌴

yoshii

On 5/8/2019 at 10:38 PM, Lula_Mae said:

What a neat tank!  So much to learn from a setup like this, it's really neat to see stuff you can't get anywhere else.  I hope the gobies start coming out for you cuz they are super cute!

Thanks! I hope so too. I'm currently sitting as still as possible, watching them lol. They like to stay in their little cave and surrounding area. I'm pretty sure they still have no idea the other 3/4 of the tanks exists :lol:

On 5/9/2019 at 7:00 AM, MetaTank said:

Cave shrimp looks quite neat! I’ve been holding out for an interesting(and pico sized) invert as well, but haven’t seen any as cool as that shrimp. Just the basics, though I saw a beautiful harlequin shrimp the other day.

i hope you find just what you’re looking for!!

Yeah if I can't find another shrimp I like (and prefer to catch myself) then I will definitely get one of these cave shrimp!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's been a warm day today (85F at noon) and the tank is currently 83F (3pm), close to 84F. 

I might have to set up a fan on a timer for hot days in the summer 🤔

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
This guy is extra salty

I’m Jealous of the little gobies, I’ll have to convince the ole lady to buy me a fish. 

Any recent FTS?

13 hours ago, yoshii said:

It's been a warm day today (85F at noon) and the tank is currently 83F (3pm), close to 84F. 

I might have to set up a fan on a timer for hot days in the summer 🤔

The lack of AC in Hawaii is understandable in some locals, but kona and the like are starting to morph more truly into their designations as tropical deserts. The last year I lived there we had multiple 120 heat indexes and it has only gotten worse =( Combine that with the VOG issues the last decade and people who don't have asthma were getting placed on rescue inhalers... 

Maybe try one of those 120mil 100+ cfm computer fans, Arctic (I think that's the brand) makes a pretty great one that can regularly be bought for like $8. To be honest I would probably drop it in a hood to tryn' recapture some of the lost water lol, but with how often you do water changes that might not matter much at all. (I wonder if the cfm rating across the surface of the tank would actually add more flow XD)

18 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I’m Jealous of the little gobies, I’ll have to convince the ole lady to buy me a fish. 

Any recent FTS?

Do it! There are lots of cool pico-sized fish available.

I just got my nimble nano today, so I'll take one after I clean the glass

16 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Those gobies 😍

Really like your scape!

Thank you! I was trying to channel my inner FW aquarist lol

7 hours ago, Amphrites said:

The lack of AC in Hawaii is understandable in some locals, but kona and the like are starting to morph more truly into their designations as tropical deserts. The last year I lived there we had multiple 120 heat indexes and it has only gotten worse =( Combine that with the VOG issues the last decade and people who don't have asthma were getting placed on rescue inhalers... 

Maybe try one of those 120mil 100+ cfm computer fans, Arctic (I think that's the brand) makes a pretty great one that can regularly be bought for like $8. To be honest I would probably drop it in a hood to tryn' recapture some of the lost water lol, but with how often you do water changes that might not matter much at all. (I wonder if the cfm rating across the surface of the tank would actually add more flow XD)

Eek that's hot! I'm glad my apt is located in an area that stays a bit cooler. On Oahu was don't get as much VOG as Big Island, luckily. My coworker gets headaches on VOGy days but I don't really notice.

I put a fan on the tank this morning (temp at 82F) so we'll see how much of a difference it makes went it gets to 85F today

• Like 3

Hope it helps cool things down, and Oahu is lovely, we considered relocating. The north side of the big island is pretty temperate as well, but awfully wet lol.

2 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Hope it helps cool things down, and Oahu is lovely, we considered relocating. The north side of the big island is pretty temperate as well, but awfully wet lol.

Yeah I hate the rain, it's the only thing that's stopping me from moving to the gorgeous windward side of Oahu (or the wet side of any the islands). So beautiful though! I haven't been to the big island yet but I want to go later this year to go exploring and dive with the mantas

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Yeah I hate the rain, it's the only thing that's stopping me from moving to the gorgeous windward side of Oahu (or the wet side of any the islands). So beautiful though! I haven't been to the big island yet but I want to go later this year to go exploring and dive with the mantas

The Big island is incredible, I'm biased from being raised there of course, but the variety of climates was absurd. The north side is reminiscent of NorCal temperature-wise (more Oregon on the wet-scale lol...), Hilo is a mass of incredible cliff-faces and tropical-jungle, Kona is a tropical desert going all-at-once from rocky-moonscape to lush farmland and sub-tropical hardwoods at higher-altitudes (more rainfall and time for it to absorb than on the coastline), Volcano gets snow seasonally and is regularly washington-state cold with temps in the 40's-60's because of the elevation and has some of the most incredible landscapes on the planet, I could obviously go on for entirely too long and this just isn't the thread for it lol...
I hope the visit goes well and comes soon!
Oddly enough my closest encounter with a Manta Ray was during a mating event on the gulf coast of florida, they swam right up to us in the Bay while we were fishing. Terrified my Kentucky-native cousins XD

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

The Big island is incredible, I'm biased from being raised there of course, but the variety of climates was absurd. The north side is reminiscent of NorCal temperature-wise (more Oregon on the wet-scale lol...), Hilo is a mass of incredible cliff-faces and tropical-jungle, Kona is a tropical desert going all-at-once from rocky-moonscape to lush farmland and sub-tropical hardwoods at higher-altitudes (more rainfall and time for it to absorb than on the coastline), Volcano gets snow seasonally and is regularly washington-state cold with temps in the 40's-60's because of the elevation and has some of the most incredible landscapes on the planet, I could obviously go on for entirely too long and this just isn't the thread for it lol...
I hope the visit goes well and comes soon!
Oddly enough my closest encounter with a Manta Ray was during a mating event on the gulf coast of florida, they swam right up to us in the Bay while we were fishing. Terrified my Kentucky-native cousins XD

I hiked through an old lava field on Maui, but I've heard the landscapes on the Big Island are like being on another planet, I definitely plan on checking it out! As I learned rather quickly when I moved here, it's crazy how much the climate/weather changes across an island, just a few miles can make a huge difference.

Haha very cool, my coworker saw some juvis feeding in the shallows in Kaneohe Bay a few months ago. I've yet to see any, but I'm excited to find some eventually!

Good news, my little desk fan cooled the tank down to 77F! (3pm, currently 83F outside temp according to Google). It's definitely adding a whole lot of jank to the tank though :lol:

I'm going to clean the glass and take some FTS pics before I call my mom. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!

• Like 6

Good news on the fan keeping it cool enough on a hot day, That’s my biggest fear is my tanks overheating if my ac goes out in the summer heat in Phoenix.

FTS! Took out some macro from the previous fts. I think I'm also going to replace the hairy galaxaura in the back with some Halymenia

Late afternoon ambient lighting, with bonus goby peeking out:

IMG_1909re.jpg.eb96ed759c6e6dd87ca675efdf22db0d.jpg

With light from a desk lamp:

IMG_1872re.jpg.9a1daf5f32f439a129ec1f90fdbb36d7.jpg

Still got macro shoved in the back

IMG_1864re.jpg.ebe76a2e44b735ffdea303d0f15f8086.jpg

Gobies came out to play very briefly

IMG_1892re.jpg.00d2e17fff8e9275d357ddde56c0c3fb.jpg

IMG_1896re.jpg.881ce8f3fe8c8bf077da2ea131f97098.jpg

A bit of coralline was growing on the glass, so I'm hoping it is also starting to grow on the rocks 🙂

As you can see, my Halimeda is turning white at the ends, I've never actually had that happen in any of my tanks before, but I think I will do a water change and see if it improves. I haven't tested anything in this tank since it started, but it's probably a lack of some nutrient.

• Like 13
  • Wow 5
pappadumplingz

Tanks looking great! Cool to see you taking advantage of your kooky marine life laws, really unique stocking. Setting up a book shelf soon as well, will be interesting to see what you do with it.

• Like 2

Those gobies are adorably tiny! Looking good, I love the little goby cave in your scape, and all those macros bring so much color to the tank that you normally don’t see in most reef tanks!  Very cool!! Can’t wait to see this one grow in.

7 hours ago, yoshii said:

FTS! Took out some macro from the previous fts. I think I'm also going to replace the hairy galaxaura in the back with some Halymenia

Late afternoon ambient lighting, with bonus goby peeking out:

IMG_1909re.jpg.eb96ed759c6e6dd87ca675efdf22db0d.jpg

With light from a desk lamp:

IMG_1872re.jpg.9a1daf5f32f439a129ec1f90fdbb36d7.jpg

Still got macro shoved in the back

IMG_1864re.jpg.ebe76a2e44b735ffdea303d0f15f8086.jpg

Gobies came out to play very briefly

IMG_1892re.jpg.00d2e17fff8e9275d357ddde56c0c3fb.jpg

IMG_1896re.jpg.881ce8f3fe8c8bf077da2ea131f97098.jpg

A bit of coralline was growing on the glass, so I'm hoping it is also starting to grow on the rocks 🙂

As you can see, my Halimeda is turning white at the ends, I've never actually had that happen in any of my tanks before, but I think I will do a water change and see if it improves. I haven't tested anything in this tank since it started, but it's probably a lack of some nutrient.

Your tanks is looking amazing!  I like how your goby likes to hang upside down.  

7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Gorgeous set up

Thank you!

7 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Tanks looking great! Cool to see you taking advantage of your kooky marine life laws, really unique stocking. Setting up a book shelf soon as well, will be interesting to see what you do with it.

Thanks! Oo, post the build thread when you start!

3 hours ago, seabass said:

Love the scape.  Very balanced and well thought out.  With a little growth, it should look absolutely stunning.

Thank you Seabass! That means a lot coming from you. Now I definitely can't change the scape :lol:

1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Love it!  

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Those gobies are adorably tiny! Looking good, I love the little goby cave in your scape, and all those macros bring so much color to the tank that you normally don’t see in most reef tanks!  Very cool!! Can’t wait to see this one grow in.

They are so small! The one in the first FTS is the bigger of the two 😮

45 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Your tanks is looking amazing!  I like how your goby likes to hang upside down.  

Thank you! Yeah they like to hang upside down in the cave/arch, and dart out when there's food. I will have to try to get a video of them eating

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I was considering going to the beach after work today, but then decided to go home so I could check on my tank instead.

I think I have this backwards 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Not tank related, but look at this cutie I just found in my kitchen 🤗 I'll never get tired of finding geckos everywhere lol

IMG_20190513_183313214.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 4

You must be a gecko whisperer.  Tried very hard to catch one for my son last time I was there and they would just scurry away as soon as I approached.

• Like 1