Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yoshii's Old School 2.5g Hawaiian Pico 🌴

yoshii

5 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Lol ur not catching them cast away style? 

Hahaha I'll stick with my plastic baggie

16 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Wow, I didn't realize that you are now in Hawai'i!  I used to collect a bit in the tropics way-way back in the day so I know how much fun it is to collect your own tank specimens.

Will be great to see how this all turns out  😊

Yes I just moved to O'ahu a little over 6 months ago!

Oh really? How cool! It's been fun hunting for cool fish/algae 🙂 Makes everything more special when you find it

• Like 2

Walking through my apt complex with my cup of CCA crumbs :lol: Scraped some coralline off another tank and saved the crumbs to hopefully jumpstart its growth in this tank. The rock is so white and sterile looking.

IMG_20190416_175030816.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Speaking of sterile-looking rock, here's pics when I scaped the tank (still a little cloudy at the time).

IMG_1598re.jpg.e05553a6c1e577f9ae80e7e86fee4a6e.jpg

IMG_1602re.jpg.64d1fc08688fcc3f76863dbbbdc67e2a.jpg

Still not sure if I will settle on this scape 🤔

I came across pics of Halophia's old sunlit seagrass tank and it makes me want to rescape lol. And invest in a bookshelf tank like I've always wanted..

image.png.7156e9ba63dd5341a11f52a82939aa39.png

• Like 9
Nano sapiens
9 hours ago, yoshii said:

Speaking of sterile-looking rock, here's pics when I scaped the tank (still a little cloudy at the time).

IMG_1598re.jpg.e05553a6c1e577f9ae80e7e86fee4a6e.jpg

IMG_1602re.jpg.64d1fc08688fcc3f76863dbbbdc67e2a.jpg

Still not sure if I will settle on this scape 🤔

I came across pics of Halophia's old sunlit seagrass tank and it makes me want to rescape lol. And invest in a bookshelf tank like I've always wanted..

image.png.7156e9ba63dd5341a11f52a82939aa39.png

I think your rockscape looks great.  Lots of space for fluffy macro-algae growth.

That seagrass tank is gorgeous!

I think you could pull off something similar to that with the current scape, which looks great. However, if you are going to have macro growing in the sand, the back left rock may get lost amongst them. But it can always be moved. Just my $0.02...

On 4/16/2019 at 6:51 PM, Tigahboy said:

😮 That sunlit tank is just incredible.  But I like your Iwagumi style scape too tho.  

One day I'll set up a 12 long or 22 long and that tank (and Scorched's tank) will be my inspiration.

I tried to scape a bit more like a FW tank, although since macros don't have the same growth forms as plants, it may turn out very different

15 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

I think your rockscape looks great.  Lots of space for fluffy macro-algae growth.

Thanks! I hope so!

10 hours ago, Tempestas said:

That seagrass tank is gorgeous!

I think you could pull off something similar to that with the current scape, which looks great. However, if you are going to have macro growing in the sand, the back left rock may get lost amongst them. But it can always be moved. Just my $0.02...

Yeah I was considering moving that rock. But unless I add seagrass to this tank (unlikely in the near future), the only macro I'll have in the sand will probably be Halimeda. Possibly Caulerpa but I'll have to keep it trimmed back.

I love getting packages, especially when there are aquarium goodies inside! 😄

IMG_20190417_190553954.thumb.jpg.66bcb22afbe8658c8c294d24af3f6c04.jpg

Got my long tweezers, scissors, and HOB! The HOB is cute and fits perfectly on the end of the tank, with no room to spare. Turns out the intake tube is adjustable, so that's nice. It's very quiet and seems to have decent flow.

Another addition, like my new ring? Found this brittle under a rock today and it wouldn't let go of my finger :lol: So I took it home for the pico

IMG_20190417_161941810.thumb.jpg.c9f06884f181a8e9d7437574cd487110.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix
50 minutes ago, yoshii said:

I love getting packages, especially when there are aquarium goodies inside! 😄

IMG_20190417_190553954.thumb.jpg.66bcb22afbe8658c8c294d24af3f6c04.jpg

Got my long tweezers, scissors, and HOB! The HOB is cute and fits perfectly on the end of the tank, with no room to spare. Turns out the intake tube is adjustable, so that's nice. It's very quiet and seems to have decent flow.

Another addition, like my new ring? Found this brittle under a rock today and it wouldn't let go of my finger :lol: So I took it home for the pico

IMG_20190417_161941810.thumb.jpg.c9f06884f181a8e9d7437574cd487110.jpg

That's so amazing. I love tiny brittles. Mine are beige - but I've always wondered if I could get a hold of different colored varieties. 🙂 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

That's so amazing. I love tiny brittles. Mine are beige - but I've always wondered if I could get a hold of different colored varieties. 🙂 

The ones I’ve seen are black and white, but I did see get some macro from my LFS that had red and black ones 

• Wow 1
8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I found one of my “reddish” ones! 

6B7DAFF8-FF41-475B-AEEB-ABCF270BBCEB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
5 hours ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

The ones I’ve seen are black and white, but I did see get some macro from my LFS that had red and black ones 

I think the black and white ones are more common IME. Sometimes you can find really cool ones though!

Thanks for sharing your brittle pic 🙂

• Like 2

My HOB leaked overnight 😠 a very small and slow leak, but I noticed some water on the new stand I just moved the tank to. Its leaking from where the outside motor slides into the plastic mold. Maybe silicone grease would fix it? If not I might have to use silicone sealant.

• Wow 4
righttirefire

The ac motors I have, have a o-ring to seal. If its just a same drip from the motor where it connects to the filter id check that first. I flake of paint, tape, paper, anything. Could cause a little drip.

Greased up the o-ring and adjusted the motor placement a bit and so far so good! :fingerscrossed:

I still haven't gotten around to "planting" /scaping my macros, but here's the tank enjoying some sunlight in the morning. I think I'll end up removing some macro, kind of a big pile in the back rn.

IMG_20190419_093523814.thumb.jpg.cf9d67b2d98e034f7e73ec5cd00c3f13.jpg

• Like 11
  • Wow 4
52 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Waooooooo.... So cool that you picked all your macros and stuff straight from ocean, and using natural sunlight!  Scape looks good too.

Thanks! I'm enjoying finally living in a tropical area where I can take algae home from the tidepools and put it in a tank! Even back in CA I would have needed a chiller.

I have a friend in town this weekend so idk if ill have time to scape, but I'll be bringing a few plastic baggies with me when we go to the tidepools in case I see anything interesting!

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I want some of your macro algae..

You can order some of the same/similar ones from Reefcleaners (Halimeda, gracilaria, etc.) Or live-plants.com (Galaxaura, Caulerpa, Halymenia, etc.)

As for the Hawaiian species, sorry I can't ship anything 😞

• Like 3