Jump to content
yoshii

Yoshii's Old School 2.5g Hawaiian Pico 🌴 *Collecting Pics*

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, yoshii said:

 

Hahaha SoCal/ LA traffic is the WORST

Eh, it's not too bad. You just cant drive between 7:30-10:30am, and  2:30-7:30pm on weekdays

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, MetaTank said:

Eh, it's not too bad. You just cant drive between 7:30-10:30am, and  2:30-7:30pm on weekdays

Traffic starts at 5:30 or 6am!

 

I used to drive from SD to NorCal and I always dreaded driving through LA

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Traffic starts at 5:30 or 6am!

 

I used to drive from SD to NorCal and I always dreaded driving through LA

Depends on where you are,  not all the freeways are bad by 6AM. But 7;30, and you're in a parking lot...lol

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, yoshii said:

Thanks! I'm very paranoid about salt build up so I always soak in FW for 30min-1hr afterwards

 

I got a Fujifilm XP120, $100 on eBay. It says its waterproof down to 65ft, so maybe I'll take it diving too if it works well in the shallows.

:lol: I should! Nah I think I'll try out plastic bags for now. They are clear, so they should work even better...right? 😛
But I do plan on going out sometime (maybe in a week or two) at night to look for cool shrimp and sleeping fish that are easier to catch.

Make sure you look into a dive filter otherwise you'll have all blue pics.

Share this post


Link to post

Collecting Trip Pics

 

Beach #1: Sandy's (it's sandy on the other side from where I was collecting) it's a popular surf spot, but definitely not for beginners

DSCF1064.thumb.JPG.8290df29138f0017c1502854054b02c7.JPG

Tidepools are formed in the black lava rock

 

Surf was pretty big and severely limited where I could go

 

 

DSCF1052.thumb.JPG.915bb4c38d4926a343d8e247ae0e389d.JPG

 

DSCF1071.thumb.JPG.c07b8101a411f43c24265670c344011b.JPG

 

 

Ok on to the cool stuff. As I was looking in pools with my flashlight, I saw a shoal of semi-transparent fish, which I thought might be some cool cardinals.

Turns out, I got a pico-sized tang! 😎

This little manini (convict tang) barely looked like a tang at all - very cool to see!

DSCF1008.thumb.JPG.05b017369de9da5eac4e010358790890.JPG

DSCF1033.thumb.JPG.563f65cb8cbc9c2bc241b5b663895e4b.JPG

 

I briefly considered setting up another tank for it, but remembered that manini are food fish here, and min. fishing size is 5", so I couldn't keep it anyway

 

I ended up just getting a little white-claw hermit and a piece of Laurencia macro algae from this beach

image.png.20111a82cd381fd43720fcaeb08f2cb2.png

  • Like 3
  • Wow 5

Share this post


Link to post

If you look for things from the shallow tide pools at high sun and at the end of low tide, those are probably the most tolerant of temperature swings.  

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Collecting Trip Pics

 

Beach #1: Sandy's (it's sandy on the other side from where I was collecting) it's a popular surf spot, but definitely not for beginners

DSCF1064.thumb.JPG.8290df29138f0017c1502854054b02c7.JPG

Tidepools are formed in the black lava rock

 

Surf was pretty big and severely limited where I could go

 

 

DSCF1052.thumb.JPG.915bb4c38d4926a343d8e247ae0e389d.JPG

 

DSCF1071.thumb.JPG.c07b8101a411f43c24265670c344011b.JPG

 

 

Ok on to the cool stuff. As I was looking in pools with my flashlight, I saw a shoal of semi-transparent fish, which I thought might be some cool cardinals.

Turns out, I got a pico-sized tang! 😎

This little manini (convict tang) barely looked like a tang at all - very cool to see!

DSCF1008.thumb.JPG.05b017369de9da5eac4e010358790890.JPG

DSCF1033.thumb.JPG.563f65cb8cbc9c2bc241b5b663895e4b.JPG

 

I briefly considered setting up another tank for it, but remembered that manini are food fish here, and min. fishing size is 5", so I couldn't keep it anyway

 

I ended up just getting a little white-claw hermit and a piece of Laurencia macro algae from this beach

image.png.20111a82cd381fd43720fcaeb08f2cb2.png

Too cool, love it.

Share this post


Link to post

Beach #2: Wailupe Beach Park

I had never been here before, but discovered there's a very shallow reef rubble flat that extends really far out into the water

DSCF1089.thumb.JPG.ec7ccb119086202457f44743ef614d9f.JPG

This picture was taken standing in about 1ft of water, looking back at the shoreline

 

As I was walking out, I found these juvi manini and damsel stuck out of water (since it was low tide) and was surprised to find them still alive! I picked them up and put them back in deeper water

DSCF1075.thumb.JPG.5f0dde7083c96b469d1ee0cc20ab43c2.JPG

 

This beach is where I found most of the macro I collected today. Towards the shore was lots of an invasive ogo algae, but as I walked further out I found more variety

Lots of Halimeda, some Galaxaura, and green palys in the shallows (I didn't take any palys)

DSCF1078.thumb.JPG.d732d2f676ae18ad9959fc25990ce0e2.JPG

DSCF1085.thumb.JPG.77fa217fdf089d0ef71bb80d1ace9a01.JPG

DSCF1088.thumb.JPG.53209a7ee4853fe33533a51cbd155150.JPG

DSCF1092.thumb.JPG.0690dcacd9c003fb05b8b0edc3d08859.JPG

 

Caught this little zebra blenny in the shallows, but I like the darker ones better so I let it go. I ended up catching a small black one at the next beach. Which I forgot to take a picture of, so imagine it's this one

 

DSCF1077.JPG

 

Beach #3: Sand Island Beach Park

I didn't get any pics, but I got the zebra blenny, some Sargassum, and limu kohu (Aspargopsis taxiformis) from this beach. I also failed at catching a mamo (sargent damsel).

  • Like 7
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Make sure you look into a dive filter otherwise you'll have all blue pics.

This camera has an underwater mode which basically just shifts the white balance. This camera isn't that fancy, I just wanted something to take some ok-quality pictures with

3 minutes ago, Wingy said:

If you look for things from the shallow tide pools at high sun and at the end of low tide, those are probably the most tolerant of temperature swings.  

Yes, there are lots of little blennies and gobies in the high intertidal which are probably very hardy. Besides a small zebra blenny, I didn't get any of the other gobies since they are kinda drab. They remind me of tidepool sculpins from CA

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

😍, good job on saving the convict tangs and huge damsel.

I guess they aren't the brightest and didn't follow the tide as it went out.

It's actually a regularly-sized damsel, just tiny convict tangs

10 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

This is amazing, you're lucky to have all that on your doorstep! 

I'm glad I set up this pico 🙂 I thought it might not be as exciting without hard coral, but this makes up for it!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Amazing.  All of it.  So awesome we get to see this kinda stuff in this competition thanks to you and your thread.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, yoshii said:

Collecting Trip Pics

 

Beach #1: Sandy's (it's sandy on the other side from where I was collecting) it's a popular surf spot, but definitely not for beginners

DSCF1064.thumb.JPG.8290df29138f0017c1502854054b02c7.JPG

Tidepools are formed in the black lava rock

 

Surf was pretty big and severely limited where I could go

 

 

DSCF1052.thumb.JPG.915bb4c38d4926a343d8e247ae0e389d.JPG

 

DSCF1071.thumb.JPG.c07b8101a411f43c24265670c344011b.JPG

 

 

Ok on to the cool stuff. As I was looking in pools with my flashlight, I saw a shoal of semi-transparent fish, which I thought might be some cool cardinals.

Turns out, I got a pico-sized tang! 😎

This little manini (convict tang) barely looked like a tang at all - very cool to see!

DSCF1008.thumb.JPG.05b017369de9da5eac4e010358790890.JPG

DSCF1033.thumb.JPG.563f65cb8cbc9c2bc241b5b663895e4b.JPG

 

I briefly considered setting up another tank for it, but remembered that manini are food fish here, and min. fishing size is 5", so I couldn't keep it anyway

 

I ended up just getting a little white-claw hermit and a piece of Laurencia macro algae from this beach

image.png.20111a82cd381fd43720fcaeb08f2cb2.png

Hurray for the little hermit! 

Awesome pics btw - thank you for sharing them all with the rest of us. I love that little blenny you caught too. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Amazing.  All of it.  So awesome we get to see this kinda stuff in this competition thanks to you and your thread.  

I'm glad I can share it with you guys! When I talk about coral or algae with other people they tend to look at me funny :lol:

NR has always been an awesome community, I'm glad I can "re-join" after being away for a few years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

Hurray for the little hermit! 

Awesome pics btw - thank you for sharing them all with the rest of us. I love that little blenny you caught too. 🙂 

He's perfectly pico-sized! And with a white shell that matches the sand. It's actually the only hermit I found, I thought I would find more

 

I'm just glad the pics actually came out ok! Because of the wind I couldn't really see what I was pointing the camera at (underwater) so I just aimed and hoped for the best haha

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, yoshii said:

He's perfectly pico-sized! And with a white shell that matches the sand. It's actually the only hermit I found, I thought I would find more

 

I'm just glad the pics actually came out ok! Because of the wind I couldn't really see what I was pointing the camera at (underwater) so I just aimed and hoped for the best haha

Well, I think the pics came out great! When I went to the beach years ago, I had a lot of difficulty finding proper hermits as well - they're so well-hidden! Did you check under the rocks though? I notice that over here, they like to bury themselves in the sand or wedge themselves tightly under rocks near the shore. 

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, wow , wow what fun. The pictures are great thanks so much for sharing. That hermit is so cute. Sounds like you collected a good variety of macro's. Looking forward to pictures of the tank with the new live stock. 

Share this post


Link to post

I can just imagine searching through those tide pools.  The pics make me want to go back for another visit.  I love this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Well, I think the pics came out great! When I went to the beach years ago, I had a lot of difficulty finding proper hermits as well - they're so well-hidden! Did you check under the rocks though? I notice that over here, they like to bury themselves in the sand or wedge themselves tightly under rocks near the shore. 

I did check under rocks, but usually there was nothing. The hermits crab I got I actually found in the upper reaches of the high intertidal. I think I'm going to have to wait until the surf dies down and there's a negative low tide to get to the lower intertidal where most of the life is.

5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Wow, wow , wow what fun. The pictures are great thanks so much for sharing. That hermit is so cute. Sounds like you collected a good variety of macro's. Looking forward to pictures of the tank with the new live stock. 

Thanks! Glad I can share 🙂

I finally aquascaped the tank yesterday and then added the macros and hermit. The blenny I kept in my jank holding tank at my work. I will take pics once I arrange the macros

4 hours ago, seabass said:

I can just imagine searching through those tide pools.  The pics make me want to go back for another visit.  I love this thread.

Thanks! If you ever visit, let me know and I can give you recommendations for things to do and places to go

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Wow. So jealous that you have a reef pretty much at your doorstep.

 

Great pics, and I can't wait to see your tank planted out.

Share this post


Link to post

Loving all the pictures and updates! I've been thinking about visiting Hawaii after graduation, and this thread just makes me want to go more.

 

How do you actually go about catching the fish you find? I know inverts are pretty easy to reach in and scoop, but I have no experience catching fish that aren't in a glass box 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/15/2019 at 5:44 AM, Tempestas said:

Wow. So jealous that you have a reef pretty much at your doorstep.

 

Great pics, and I can't wait to see your tank planted out.

Thanks! I should be getting my long tweezers and scissors in the mail tomorrow, then it will be easier to scape. I do have pics of my rock scape I should post lol

3 hours ago, AugyBear said:

Loving all the pictures and updates! I've been thinking about visiting Hawaii after graduation, and this thread just makes me want to go more.

 

How do you actually go about catching the fish you find? I know inverts are pretty easy to reach in and scoop, but I have no experience catching fish that aren't in a glass box 🤣

Thanks Augy! Southwest service has started, which also means everyone else lowered their prices

 

I've caught them with a little Ziploc bag. It only works in a shallow pool where I can corner them, then scare them with my other hand into the bag. It's easier if they dart in a hole, then you scare them out of the hole into the bag, that's what I did to catch the blenny

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, yoshii said:

I've caught them with a little Ziploc bag. It only works in a shallow pool where I can corner them, then scare them with my other hand into the bag. It's easier if they dart in a hole, then you scare them out of the hole into the bag, that's what I did to catch the blenny

Lol ur not catching them cast away style? 

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, I didn't realize that you are now in Hawai'i!  I used to collect a bit in the tropics way-way back in the day so I know how much fun it is to collect your own tank specimens.

 

Will be great to see how this all turns out  😊

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...