Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yoshii's Old School 2.5g Hawaiian Pico 🌴

yoshii

So sorry to hear about your blenny loss, he sounded really cool.

Awesome pics of your collecting adventure, that is awesome that you can do that!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, MetaTank said:

Oh wow! Zoas and Palys! I heard a few years ago that the native Hawaiians used to use palytoxin from one of the Palys for hunting or something! Way cool part of history if it’s true!

It's absolutely true, there are a few old stories concerning why dipping their spears into and agitating certain tidepools created weapons insanely lethal to just about all life, but the gist is the ugly green and brown palys which grow around hawaii are uncannily-packed full of palytoxin.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

It's absolutely true, there are a few old stories concerning why dipping their spears into and agitating certain tidepools created weapons insanely lethal to just about all life, but the gist is the ugly green and brown palys which grow around hawaii are uncannily-packed full of palytoxin.

Yeah, I was told by a friend who is a native Hawaiian, and her grandfather owns a bunch of land on one of the smaller, less developed islands. I believed it, but hadn’t ever fact-checked it. Pretty cool!

• Like 2

So if you didn't spot the fish in this photo,

DSCF3333.thumb.JPG.7ec4b209ff43fd281a95358136259bd0.jpeg.30941edf0cea7507fad6e911dafffeda.jpeg

Here it is in a cup, with pinky finger for scale

Snapchat-853090861.thumb.jpg.f0c503d069f305fbaa7dbaf7b80ea927.jpg

It's been living in a jar this week with no issues. It loves eating live pods, and lately has been trying to eat mashed PE Mysis pellets, but spits them out.

I think it's a Barred Tidepool Goby, endemic to Hawai'i and Easter Island

Kelloggella oligolepis

Male (top) and female (bottom)

kelloggella-oligolepis-male-3.jpg.cc4e3a697ac46e0ed5cca21954da6311.jpg

kelloggella-oligolepis-female.jpg.f4ef854a5de1e849912527b3efc1cbaf.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 9:43 PM, Tempestas said:

Wow that is a tiny fish!

How big can they get?

I think only 1 inch

On 6/16/2019 at 9:49 PM, Tamberav said:

Beautiful fish! Would be cool to see it grow up.

Yeah! I hope it continues to do well

• Like 4
On 7/1/2019 at 10:19 PM, Ratvan said:

Tank looks incredible, it already looks so mature and established

Thanks! The Sargassum has been doing pretty good (surprisingly), as well as the Dictyota and Caulerpa.

I haven't been updating much, but there will be a few changes coming soon!

1. New light - I've decided to supplement/switch to artificial lighting and try out the Asta 20. Thanks Meta for answering my questions about it

2. Placement - if the light works well I might end up moving the tank completely out of the sun, just to keep it cool during the next few months. It's been getting hot already and I've been running the fan every day.

And for a fishie update, the Goby has definitely grown up! Probably last month I realized it has gotten as big as the other one was when I first got them. It makes me wonder how long they live.

The Sergeant Damsel is growing up fast too, although it appears it brought some crypto with it (my fault for only dipping and not quarantining) so I'm treating the tank with some meds (Ich-X) and I think we're in the clear now.

• Like 7

Update on my teeny tiny goby:

It's been doing good in this old bean salad jar! Even in this small amount of water with no filtration. I've been doing water changes (98%) only occasionally...maybe once every 2 weeks?

IMG_20190713_085437231.thumb.jpg.e240f365c9df0071e4d708b19d181b09.jpg

IMG_20190713_085528437.thumb.jpg.3f6729a8701820896f36a4e8c4c5468c.jpg

I started feeding live pods (tisbe I think) but it knows pipette = food, and chows down on bbs now. However since @seabass's baby cardinals had issues on a 100% bbs diet, I'm still supplementing with the live pods. I tried other tiny frozen foods like Calanus and Capelin eggs, but they are way too big for its tiny mouth. I expected it to grow fast but I don't think it's grown much in the time I've had it (at least a month).

Anyways, teeny goby got an "upgrade" today that included more water and a rock haha

spacer.pngIMG_20190713_090029168.thumb.jpg.b5b847484dbb8a715376f07080f0c34d.jpg

Also, I got my Asta 20 delivered today! :happydance: I'm going to play around with it and see how it works with this tank 🙂 I also got a battery-powered air pump since it's hurricane season and I want to be prepared.

• Like 6

I have a tiny goby too! Although bigger than yours but damn it's so small...lol it's a nine line goby. Maybe half it's adult size atm.

MVIMG_20190713_191520

• Like 2
  • Wow 4
5 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I wish sergeant damsels didn't get so big... what a pretty fish, love the bonus pico with the goby XD

I know right! He's growing so fast I think I'll have to move it out soon

4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I have a tiny goby too! Although bigger than yours but damn it's so small...lol it's a nine line goby. Maybe half it's adult size atm.

MVIMG_20190713_191520

Wow! What a cool teeny goby! Which tank is this one in right now?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, yoshii said:

I know right! He's growing so fast I think I'll have to move it out soon

Wow! What a cool teeny goby! Which tank is this one in right now?

He is in my QT tank atm in a breeder box. He is too tiny to go in a tank yet. I am pretty sure anything could eat him with the size he is. He would easily fit in my yasha gobies mouth lol I will probably put him in the macro tank once he's bigger. That tank has a goby overload! 

I like your jar idea! Glad to see it's working for yours.

This zoom in shot makes him look huge but he's just a colorful speck flitting around.

MVIMG_20190713_191457

• Like 2
  • Wow 5

Beautiful 😍 I've never seen one of those gobies before. I had to do a quick Google search. Cool they live under urchins in the wild! How long have you had it?

• Like 3

What a cool little fish, I can't believe it only gets an inch long, that's smaller than some trimma's! Would be amazing to keep a bundle of those in an urchin tank.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, yoshii said:

Beautiful 😍 I've never seen one of those gobies before. I had to do a quick Google search. Cool they live under urchins in the wild! How long have you had it?

I just got the little speck yesterday. I had never seen one before either. The LFS didn't have any urchins. I kind of want to order one of those ORA pincushions because they come in really small. Easier to fit in his breeder box. 

I can't really put an urchin in a macro tank though so hmm 🤔

• Like 3

@yoshii So I plan on going to the seaside this weekend. Going to give the British Isles a chance for collecting. What do you use to keep your specimens in?

Would just Jam (Jelly) Jars be suitable for collecting? Hoping for some Coldwater Anemones and fingers crossed for a small Goby

• Wow 1
11 hours ago, Ratvan said:

@yoshii So I plan on going to the seaside this weekend. Going to give the British Isles a chance for collecting. What do you use to keep your specimens in?

Would just Jam (Jelly) Jars be suitable for collecting? Hoping for some Coldwater Anemones and fingers crossed for a small Goby

Oo how exciting! I bring plastic jars with a wide mouth (peanut butter jars), since glass jars are heavier and I don't want to risk breaking as they jostle around my backpack. I also bring lots of Ziploc bags, for macro or small fish. And to zip my phone or keys in. Depending on any restrictions you have for collecting there, you can also bring a net and a knife/chisel for getting stuff off rocks. Just bring extra of everything and you'll be glad you did 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll need to post a full update with some of the recent tank changes. But I also have some collecting pics to share from today! My camera is still soaking in water, but hopefully later today I should be able to post pics 🙂  I ran into some cool critters (🐢 🦈  🐡)

And I need to take some pics of the tank! I ended up moving the Sergeant Damsel out, it was growing so fast! I'm a little worried about the goby, it seems to come out less, and be slower to eat. I'm hoping this doesn't mean it's getting old already 😞

Some of the macros really did not like the new light, but some are doing fine. I'll have to tinker with it to try to find a balance. I have yet to take PAR readings, but I'll post that for you guys when I borrow a meter again.

• Like 5

Collecting Trip Pics!

Last Saturday I was able to snorkel to check out a new spot. I found some neat algae, and saw some cool critters!

Visibility wasn't that good, but I figure you guys would still enjoy pictures 🙂

After nearly bumping into a turtle getting in the water, I swam out and saw lots of large coral heads Porites evermanni

image.thumb.jpeg.143f28da13c7fb0362e775ba5d29bffa.jpeg

image.jpeg.d37de3a8587dd2ea46a249475048a147.jpeg

image.jpeg.c907357f80494e4fabfe3b50fcd7018d.jpeg

I swam over to the pier to see if anything interesting was growing on the pilings

image.thumb.jpeg.c763694e739a8a7572f8c2140ad1400a.jpeg

There were thousands of little fish hanging out under the pier

image.jpeg.17f8de05bf8fcc5e5b698b24a038a6ad.jpeg

And I jumped a little when I turned around and saw this Whitetip!!

image.jpeg.49d56ea5afd616a90163b371ec739e3d.jpeg

image.jpeg.c5725c5195511e87a865a40edb1bf51d.jpeg

image.jpeg.7b98921189eb6dd22aac4c821b636319.jpeg

Not a ton of life on the pilings, just some coral (Montipora capitata), sponge, algae, sometimes a little community of juvi fishes

image.jpeg.914ccde63f282898cd9d20cdf0a7ef17.jpeg

image.jpeg.e110b557cea536ae748679435b23a889.jpeg

I thought I took pictures of algae before I collected, but I must have accidentally deleted them.

I did find some cool stuff, unfortunately I think I left it in the jar too long and the more fragile stuff might not make it

image.png.832e374972ea6ab3a089f10add464752.pngimage.png.cd017ebb701860e7f9ced11d6ee4d76b.png

And finally, a terrible picture of the tank with a rainbow in the background

image.png.29e9c378f277e7b15a27eadff4aec5f8.png

I haven't cleaned the glass since I got my new light and used one side of my Nimble Nano as a light holder :lol: I'll have to find something else and get a proper FTS!

• Like 5
  • Wow 5