Top Shelf Aquatics

Yoshii's Old School 2.5g Hawaiian Pico 🌴

yoshii

3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I'm amazed you found such a skinny one lol, most are pretty chunky.

Maybe that's why it was on my fridge, must be hungry! 

The ones I see outside are usually a bit more chunky

3 hours ago, ef4life said:

Did he try and sell you car insurance?

:lol: 

3 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

You must be a gecko whisperer.  Tried very hard to catch one for my son last time I was there and they would just scurry away as soon as I approached.

Slow approach is key maybe? Also it helped that it was inside and couldn't run up a tree. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
20 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I’m jealous of the macros

F4911BD4-CF4A-47E0-B24B-D38894550DBB.jpeg

Reefcleaners and live-plants have lots of macros, just takes a little $$

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Lol for you maybe, cause you can pick off the reef gratis.  Dragons breath over here is like 29.99 lol. Mangrove shoot is like 19.99 hahahahahah.  Your reef looks sooo goood!  My fav macro/fresh off the reef reef! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your tank looks amazing yoshii!  I love the gobies, they are so so cute.

That gecko did not look too skinny to me.  Of course here in PA, we only see pet store geckos.

10 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Lol for you maybe, cause you can pick off the reef gratis.  Dragons breath over here is like 29.99 lol. Mangrove shoot is like 19.99 hahahahahah.  Your reef looks sooo goood!  My fav macro/fresh off the reef reef! 😂

Reefcleaners and live-plants have $15 shipping!

9 hours ago, vlangel said:

Your tank looks amazing yoshii!  I love the gobies, they are so so cute.

That gecko did not look too skinny to me.  Of course here in PA, we only see pet store geckos.

Thanks Dawn! They are definitely my favorite in this tank 🙂

The cluster of Halimeda in the back started forming reproductive structures (gametangia) today so I pulled it out. As I was wondering what might trigger this, I realized that I pulled back the my shade curtain the other day and forgot to put it back 😱 aka the tank was getting direct, hot, sunlight. At least it was partly cloudy today so hopefully it didn't get too hot. The blenny, hermit, and at least one of the gobies are fine, thank goodness. But I can't forget again. 

Maybe I should invest in an inkbird :lol:

Also did a 3qt water change, first one since the last clump of Halimeda went sexual clouded up the tank.

I'm using tap water as my top off, and recently learned that I bought Prime for nothing because Hawaii doesn't add chlorine or chloramine to their water! It's fine to use for fish tanks straight from the tap

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
Snow_Phoenix
4 minutes ago, yoshii said:

The cluster of Halimeda in the back started forming reproductive structures (gametangia) today so I pulled it out. As I was wondering what might trigger this, I realized that I pulled back the my shade curtain the other day and forgot to put it back 😱 aka the tank was getting direct, hot, sunlight. At least it was partly cloudy today so hopefully it didn't get too hot. The blenny, hermit, and at least one of the gobies are fine, thank goodness. But I can't forget again. 

Maybe I should invest in an inkbird :lol:

Also did a 3qt water change, first one since the last clump of Halimeda went sexual clouded up the tank.

I'm using tap water as my top off, and recently learned that I bought Prime for nothing because Hawaii doesn't add chlorine or chloramine to their water! It's fine to use for fish tanks straight from the tap

Malaysia is the opposite - we add chlorine to everything. In fact, I notice there was a strong 'taste' to the boiled tap water for the past few days. So I've been using double the usual amount of Prime + Nutrafin antichlorine whenever I do my WCs and top-offs, just in case.

• Wow 1
This guy is extra salty
11 hours ago, yoshii said:

Reefcleaners and live-plants have lots of macros, just takes a little $$

Asking my ole lady about buying something, is ridiculous. Love her for it C73EB543-7BC2-4CCE-9834-BBA5CBF9B1FC.jpeg.4fc753ca41f6cb7a38fd36294c40c807.jpeg

11 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Right?! Stupid expensive (still I know I’m in the middle of ‘Merica) 

• Haha 4
8 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Hawaii is an odd place, plenty of folks on catchment too, though I swear they used chloramine back in Kona... Honestly I don't recall though, maybe that was Fredericksburg...

In any case that's awfully convenient haha

26 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Malaysia is the opposite - we add chlorine to everything. In fact, I notice there was a strong 'taste' to the boiled tap water for the past few days. So I've been using double the usual amount of Prime + Nutrafin antichlorine whenever I do my WCs and top-offs, just in case.

Wow! I guess that's better than getting dirty water? 🤔

20 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Asking my ole lady about buying something, is ridiculous. Love her for it C73EB543-7BC2-4CCE-9834-BBA5CBF9B1FC.jpeg.4fc753ca41f6cb7a38fd36294c40c807.jpeg

Right?! Stupid expensive (still I know I’m in the middle of ‘Merica) 

Just tell her it's on sale!

18 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Hawaii is an odd place, plenty of folks on catchment too, though I swear they used chloramine back in Kona... Honestly I don't recall though, maybe that was Fredericksburg...

In any case that's awfully convenient haha

Yeah my coworker said when she had FW tanks she'd use straight tap water and never had any problems. Waikiki Aquarium uses tap water straight into their freshwater tanks, as an open system.

• Wow 1
48 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Reefcleaners and live-plants have $15 shipping!

Thanks Dawn! They are definitely my favorite in this tank 🙂

Wao!! 15 bux... so jelly

Christopher Marks
On 5/11/2019 at 6:08 PM, yoshii said:

It's been a warm day today (85F at noon) and the tank is currently 83F (3pm), close to 84F. 

I might have to set up a fan on a timer for hot days in the summer 🤔

I really think for the peace of mind an Inkbird can provide, it's a worthwhile investment. You should consider the 308S model (with the S) as the temp probe is replaceable rather than hardwired, a little more future-proof. I have one operating my pico jar heater as well as a small 4" 4w USB powered desktop fan pointed at the jar. It's been providing reliable heating and cooling every day now that temperatures have been rising here in Phoenix. Even if you move the tank somewhere else in the future, an Inkbird is a good tool to have for any future tank.

On 5/13/2019 at 1:41 AM, yoshii said:

FTS! Took out some macro from the previous fts. I think I'm also going to replace the hairy galaxaura in the back with some Halymenia

Late afternoon ambient lighting, with bonus goby peeking out:

IMG_1909re.jpg.eb96ed759c6e6dd87ca675efdf22db0d.jpg

With light from a desk lamp:

IMG_1872re.jpg.9a1daf5f32f439a129ec1f90fdbb36d7.jpg

Still got macro shoved in the back

IMG_1864re.jpg.ebe76a2e44b735ffdea303d0f15f8086.jpg

Gobies came out to play very briefly

IMG_1892re.jpg.00d2e17fff8e9275d357ddde56c0c3fb.jpg

IMG_1896re.jpg.881ce8f3fe8c8bf077da2ea131f97098.jpg

A bit of coralline was growing on the glass, so I'm hoping it is also starting to grow on the rocks 🙂

As you can see, my Halimeda is turning white at the ends, I've never actually had that happen in any of my tanks before, but I think I will do a water change and see if it improves. I haven't tested anything in this tank since it started, but it's probably a lack of some nutrient.

This pico reef biotope is turning out absolutely amazing! I love the aquascape too, and all the details behind what you've sourced. Wow!

The gobies are so beautiful, it seems like they aren't too shy either. Do you think they've realized there are no predators to worry about?

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

I really think for the peace of mind an Inkbird can provide, it's a worthwhile investment. You should consider the 308S model (with the S) as the temp probe is replaceable rather than hardwired, a little more future-proof. I have one operating my pico jar heater as well as a small 4" 4w USB powered desktop fan pointed at the jar. It's been providing reliable heating and cooling every day now that temperatures have been rising here in Phoenix. Even if you move the tank somewhere else in the future, an Inkbird is a good tool to have for any future tank.

This pico reef biotope is turning out absolutely amazing! I love the aquascape too, and all the details behind what you've sourced. Wow!

The gobies are so beautiful, it seems like they aren't too shy either. Do you think they've realized there are no predators to worry about?

Hi CM, thanks for the recommendation! I am going to look into that.

Thanks! Before I added them to this tank I was trying to train them to be less shy and swim out for their food. I think it helped, and I'm hoping as they get more comfortable they will come out more. Or at least not dart into their caves as soon as I approach the tank

27 minutes ago, ef4life said:

Your pico is looking great

Thank you!

• Like 3

Short update,

The gobies have been extra shy recently, and the past few days I've only seen one. At least, only one at a time, I haven't seen both out at the same time, which worries me. Usually both come out when I feed. I haven't seen my hermit crab chowing down on anything unusual, so I'm hoping the other goby is still hiding in the rocks somewhere 😕

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 5/17/2019 at 12:24 PM, Tamberav said:

Tank is gorgeous! Hope your other goby shows up 😞 They are amazing little guys.

Thanks! Me too

On 5/17/2019 at 1:00 PM, Maddie said:

Maybe they're breeding? In Diane's old thread with her GBGs I think the male would hide during spawning. 

I don't know how to tell sexes, if it's possible. But they both have the elongated dorsal spine

Still no sign of the other goby :sad:

But I did find some nice Peyssonnelia algae and these two cool shrimp (Long-armed shrimp, Cuapetes sp.) when I jumped in one of our large holding tanks at work today

IMG_1932re.jpg.f3fb1fe0a4e3edebcaf93ea8640502ab.jpg

IMG_1935re.jpg.a2b39cafee94bd9ae72f39af2e72ac53.jpg

IMG_1948re.thumb.jpg.64d6e9e9dbe0b518959bd89454f1ab97.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 3
13 hours ago, yoshii said:

Thanks! Me too

I don't know how to tell sexes, if it's possible. But they both have the elongated dorsal spine

I'm not quite sure how to tell them apart. I hope that the other little one is found! Gorgeous tank!