Wingy

Wingy's "Old School Pico Reef"

Wingy

It's hard to believe that this contest is ending.  Thank you to everyone who stopped by to take a look, those that offered advice, and answered questions. 

I started on this journey to create something that my parrot would enjoy watching during the day when I am at work.  It has become that and more.  We all love watching the sexy shrimp go about their shrimpy business of wreaking havoc as they jump, climb rocks and swing from everything they can reach.  Each piece in there was chosen with care and most have a memory associated  with it from my first purchase to the pom pom crab named for a friend who passed unexpectedly to another given to me for a milestone birthday.  

I haven't yet made a decision on keeping this tank up or upgrading to something larger.  For now it is going to stay.

Here is my final contest fts taken 10/26.  

IMG_20191026_193556.jpg

• Like 4

Wingy

The power just came back on from a 21 hour outage due to storm damage.  I bought a battery air pump, which was doa when I got it home so back out I went searching for another.  Inside temps dipped to 55 F but the tank stayed between 75 and 77 because I placed soda bottles filled with scalding hot water on two sides and the other two I used styrofoam sheets.  I wrapped the while thing in thick towels. I checked the temp with a digital meat probe.  The snails, shrimp and crab are alive and well so I hope the corals will be fine too. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

debbeach13

Sounds like the coral should be OK 75 - 77 is not too bad my tank is 78. Coral seem to bounce back from cool much better than hot. I hope it does for you.  

• Like 2

Wonderboy

Wow - you did an excellent job keeping the tank stable! I had a 6 hr outage recently and had thought that was stressful hahaa - great idea surrounding it with styro and hot water - will be keeping in mind for future chaos

• Like 1

Wingy

Thanks.  Luckily my hot water tank works even if the power is out so I had plenty of hot water.  With so little water volume adding heated water bottles to the tank didn't seem like a good idea.   I lost the mystic montipora, the candy cane is deflated with skeleton showing on two of the 3 heads and the duncan is sulking but everything else looks good.  I did a 50% water change and blew everything to stir things up and filter out the detritus .  I found some bubble algae that I removed and one place that I just smothered with super glue because I couldn't  get to it.  .  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wonderboy

Wow - sorry to hear that - also pretty excited that you're going to keep this going and that you're ready to jump on the necessary response - I'm sure everything else will get back to normal quickly for you   :]

• Like 1

debbeach13

Congratulations on making to the finals. I think you did an excellent job with this tank. For a first tank you made some wonderful coral choices and actually listened when helpful hints were offered. Amazing growth on that Duncan. You created a wonderful little reef for Jake and everyone gets to enjoy it. Good luck.

• Like 5

Wingy

Yesterday I found 3 limpets, 2 are now deceased, and 2 large amphipods  either or both of which may have contributed to the demise of the monti.  

Wingy

No giant pods today so yesterdays spear fishing was a success  I have no illusion that they are gone, just in check for now.  next time I will try cold shock.  An hour or two in ice cold water shouldn't affect most of the bacteria but may dislodge the giant pods.  They pester my zoas, one in particular.  

• Like 1