Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wingy's "Old School Pico Reef" now a 5 gallon rimless

Wingy

We are wet.  I used a brand new bag of CaribSea argonite and was it was full of skeletons and debris.  I skimmed off all the floaters and kept mixing it until it was clear.  Should I mix it up tomorrow to try and catch any remaining skeletons in the filter? Oh and will the ammonia badge stop trying to float or is it suppose to do that?  

IMG_20190404_204510673.jpg

• Like 6

We're going to need pictures of the bird. And also a name - cause it's rude to just keep saying the bird. Plus it sounds like this is his tank anyways.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Wingy said:

Should I mix it up tomorrow to try and catch any remaining skeletons in the filter?

Did you rinse it before putting it in the tank?  I'd keep mixing it up and get as much out as you can. 

1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

Did you rinse it before putting it in the tank?  I'd keep mixing it up and get as much out as you can. 

I rinsed until there were no more floating skeletons and the water stayed clear, then I rinsed it some more.  

• Like 1

I had some trouble getting the light to stay straight because of the lip.  I didn't want to cut the rim down so I slid the top of a Vitamin Water bottle under the rim.  It is a perfect fit and the light bracket sits as it should now.

• Like 2

I am hoping to get to the coral store today.  Their stuff is high end and way out of both my league and budget but last time I was there they had 2 big tanks full of live rock in a wide range of sizes.  It is also time to consider the cuc and I want to see what they have.  I would rather supplemental feed the cuc now  then deal with an issue later.  

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Yay!  Coral store day!

I agree.  I purposely kept the water level low because I knew I wanted to do a water change when adding rock but the sound of splashing has me constantly heading to the bathroom.  Young people please do not ever potty train your children using the sound of running water.  

• Haha 2

Company unexpectedly stopped by so I am still not sold on the layout but I was able to get two perfect sized pieces.  I may go with one on each side.  I checked the date and it has been cycling for a minimum of 4 weeks.  

IMG_20190407_164955.jpg

IMG_20190407_165210498.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 1

I dosed a bit of ammonia yesterday and after 24 hours my ammonia reads 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is somewhere between 5 and 10 ppm  I am going to test again in 24 hours and do a big water change.  I am seeing a few spots on the rock that has some white fuzz that almost looks like small pieces of cotton that has been pulled off a cotton swab and smooshed flat  Is that fuzzy stuff alright to leave or should I be scrubbing it off?  

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Probably a pineapple sponge. They are fine to let be.  Post a pic if you need a more definite ID.

I just googled pineapple sponge and yes I think that is it.  Google kindly gave me a lot of pineapple upside down cake images too.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

How you liking the Pixie30 so far?

I have been running mostly lights off but it was really easy to read the colors for testing.  

On 4/7/2019 at 4:59 PM, Wingy said:

Company unexpectedly stopped by so I am still not sold on the layout but I was able to get two perfect sized pieces.  I may go with one on each side.  I checked the date and it has been cycling for a minimum of 4 weeks.  

IMG_20190407_164955.jpg

IMG_20190407_165210498.jpg

I like that scape a lot. 

7 hours ago, yoshii said:

Nice rocks and scape! Is that real or man-made LR?

I am not sure.  The shop has tanks of cured rock.  Both pieces have bits of shell embedded in it so it if is man made they did a nice job.

Nitrate is at 0 ppm and I had intended on doing a big water change but Jake thought I was taking the water out to take it away and attacked. me.  A big water change has to wait until after bed time when he is locked in his cage.  

• Wow 1

I'm still sitting here watching water, rock and the floating thermometer/hydrometer combo, which for now it dead on accurate.  I cut down some colored file folders to use as a background and the effect was better than expected.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Wingy said:

I'm still sitting here watching water, rock and the floating thermometer/hydrometer combo, which for now it dead on accurate.  I cut down some colored file folders to use as a background and the effect was better than expected.  

Oooh backround folders! lol...Glad it worked out better than expected, cant wait to see it!