SaltCritters.com

Wingy's "Old School Pico Reef" now a 5 gallon rimless

Wingy

So I am going to give this a go.  I have no experience with saltwater and its been 20+ since I had goldfish so this is all new.  I am sure I will have many questions but I know you all will help and be cheering me on.  

Equipment

• 2.5 gallon Aqueon standard tank
  • Lumini Pixie 30
  • AquaClear 20 HOB

Hitchhikers 

Collonista snails 

Asternia starfish

bristle worm

Gammarus Amphipods 

spaghetti worms

4/28 update

Blue mushroom (aka Mister Cranky Pants).

Pom pom xenia

Clove polyps (3 polyps)

Knopia polyps

5/2 update

3 1 sexy shrimp

1 pom pom crab (aka Chris the crabby bastard) disappeared 

Armour of God zoa with 4 polpys.

5/16 update

Astera snail

Nassarius snail 

5//26 update

Duncan with 2 large and 3 emerging heads

Sunny D's zoa with 7 polyps

12/29 update

Xenia (trying again)

Blue and yellow favia

Pink orange and yellow acan

Blue and gold zoa

Pink and orange zoa colony

02/18/2020 

Replaced tank with a 5 gallon because I broke the 2.5

• Like 7

You totally got this! Obviously, don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone here loves explaining how things work, what to do and what not to do, etc.

Looking forward to seeing what you put together!

This is the perfect way to break into marine aquaria without breaking the bank.  You will have lots of support from the N-R community so ask about anything.  No question is foolish and we are happy to help.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Wingy said:

I pulled the trigger and ordered the Lumani Pixie 30.  It will be here Tuesday or Wednesday.  

Eager to see how that light works for you. I got the Asta20, it's little sister

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MetaTank said:

Eager to see how that light works for you. I got the Asta20, it's little sister

I almost went with the Asta but for the extra $20 the Pixie is a bit more customizable and that was the deciding factor.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Wingy said:

I almost went with the Asta but for the extra $20 the Pixie is a bit more customizable and that was the deciding factor.  

Yeah, I'm....uh...cheap. 

lol...had I known about the Pixie when I was looking at the Asta, I might have gone with the Pixie too...But I love the way the Asta looks on this tank, so not too worried about it.

In the process of leak testing I discovered that this tank is a parrot dander magnet even with the air cleaner positioned to pull the dander away and not toward.  Parrot dander is mostly collagen so it won't directly poison the tank however I think a hefty HOB filter is going to be necessary.  

• Like 4

Seriously, welcome to the addiction...Start with one 2.5 gallon, a couple years later, you have an entire fish room in  your house with multiple tanks. You'll see 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If a jar of Opae Ula counts I am already moving that way.  I set up a jar near a window back in November and am now starting to see algae.  I will be ready to order critters in a week or 2.  That will be a nice addition to my desk at work.  

• Like 2

Last night my parrot and I spent the entire evening watching video on different types of inverts.  Since the tank will be just a few feet from his palace and because this tank is part of his Hatch Day gift (bird version of birthday)  I needed to make sure that he isn't  going to be freaked out.  So far he likes the skunk cleaner shrimp and sexy shrimp.  I am not sure on the order to add them or if it matters?  

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
21 minutes ago, Wingy said:

Last night my parrot and I spent the entire evening watching video on different types of inverts.  Since the tank will be just a few feet from his palace and because this tank is part of his Hatch Day gift (bird version of birthday)  I needed to make sure that he isn't  going to be freaked out.  So far he likes the skunk cleaner shrimp and sexy shrimp.  I am not sure on the order to add them or if it matters?  

What type of parrot do you own, if I might ask? I have a sun conure and we spend hatch days with extra rounds of millets and lots of fruits. I actually set up my 10G right next to his cage and he has developed a habit of tossing his pellets inside the tank in pretense of 'feeding' my fish lol. :lol:

• Haha 2

I have a timneh african grey and he turns 7 on Wednesday.  Hatch days here include presents. watching Snow While and the Seven Dwarfs and all his favorite foods including cookies and ice cream.  

• Like 2
  • Wow 4
24 minutes ago, Wingy said:

We have snackage.  Now to get it wet.

IMG_20190404_191950177.jpg

Dem some fancy chips...lol

I go to this Japanese supermarket and get bizarre flavors of chips sometimes too!!

Sweetpotato cheese? OK!

I really go to buy fresh ramen and udon noodles... YUM!

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Wingy said:

Before I open the box is there a trick to using the Imagitarium Pacific Ocean Water?  Does it have a pour spout?  

Don't forget to shake the whole box. Just powerlift that sucker over your head and have a go!

No, really, DON'T do that, I don't wanna be held responsible for the outcome.

I wish I could actually help with your question...but I have no idea

On 3/31/2019 at 10:14 PM, Wingy said:

I have a timneh african grey and he turns 7 on Wednesday.  Hatch days here include presents. watching Snow While and the Seven Dwarfs and all his favorite foods including cookies and ice cream.  

Wow, he's one lucky bird to get such special treatment on hatch day!  I am not sure that my birthday gets such attention, ha ha!  Ok, actually I am treated pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1