Cultivated Reef

Wingy's "Old School Pico Reef" now a 5 gallon rimless

Wingy

I read somewhere about offering blanched zuchini to shrimp.  Could I leave a piece in overnight without fouling the water?  I wouldn't say my tank is really clean but I usually feed the shrimp/crab in the mornings a few days a week.  The trumpet coral is target fed Saturday evening and everything gets fed on Sunday morning before I do a water change. 

• Like 2

You could leave it in there for the entire week without fouling the water very much at all since your water is changed weekly. As what isn't eaten breaks down, it may encourage some diatom growth but that can be kept in check with the appropriate CUC (snails/hermits).

• 2 weeks later...

No changes.  I am still battling diatoms.  I have cut the light intensity and time by half, bought a different brand of pellets and am daily changing filter floss but have noticed no significant difference.  I think I need to find something that will eat the diatoms instead.  

• Like 2
On 7/17/2019 at 1:18 PM, Wingy said:

No changes.  I am still battling diatoms.  I have cut the light intensity and time by half, bought a different brand of pellets and am daily changing filter floss but have noticed no significant difference.  I think I need to find something that will eat the diatoms instead.  

Ia there such a thing?

4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Ia there such a thing?

I have read that Cerith snails will.  I am going to order a dwarf cerith and hope it's hungry.

• Like 1

Right before water change yesterday I saw a large bristle worm.  I could see 4 inches and the end was still in the rock so I don't know how big that sucker is.  

• Like 2

I found a single spot of bubble algae on the plug that the clove polyps are attached to.  I took the whole thing out, scraped the bubble off with a razor blade and did a spot treatment with peroxide followed by two separate salt water rinses.  How long can bubble algae lay dormant?  The last time I bought new coral was May 31 and the plug I saw the bubble on was purchased on April 28.  I have no idea where it would have come from.  

9 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

It's been my experience that once you scrape the bubble off, as long as you didn't puncture it, then it should be completely gone.

It deflated on the razor blade so hopefully I got it all. I used the peroxide just in case.  It's just strange how a single bubble appeared out of nowhere especially when it's been 60 days since anything has been added.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The mushroom went from open and fluffy to melted over the weekend.  The shrimp have picked at the green slimer acro so much it is turning white and has lost all its color.  I would say its beyond saving.  The shrimp have also really scratched or picked the mystic montipora which I have now moved out of the shrimp zone.  The duncan continues to thrive and now has 13 babies.  I will need to rescape again soon to give it more room.  

I had quite a scare today.  I was looking closely at the clove polyps because it sprouted another baby and I saw little bubbles all over all the stems and plug.  This is the piece that had the green bubble algae that I treated with removal and hydrogen peroxide so of course my first thought was more green bubbles.  Thankfully I kept my head and grabbed the large magnifying glass and saw that for some reason it was covered in micro bubbles.  A little tap with the feeding syringe on the rock and all the bubbles were gone.  Other than that everything is chugging along.  I moved the rock that the duncan is on to give it another inch of room.  Soon I may need to remove the rock all togetherThe mystic monti still looks horrible from the shrimp so I gave it a Lugols dip today to help it recover.  I am considering gluing it to mag cleaner keep it away from the shrimp.  

I haven't added anyting new for ages.  None of my local shops have softies for sale and I just can't bring myself to pay $25+ on shipping for a few zoa polyps.  I did almost get a pretty little RFA but I can't find anything on them doing ok with a crushed argonite substrate.  

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

My kid got married and I got busy with wedding stuff and forgot to post a August fts.  Better late then never.  The green slimer acro didn't make it and the mystic montipora is struggling but everything else is good.  The pic is just after lights on so the Duncan isn't fat and sassy quite yet.  

IMG_20190906_142716116.jpg

• Like 6
8 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Your tank is looking great.  I love the slope of the rock.

Thanks.

The guys at the shop couldn't  believe how much the Duncan has grown in just 12 weeks.  They had 3 more from the same parent but they were recently  cut and I didn't have good luck with recently  cut pieces so I passed.  They are having  a live sale today so maybe I can pick up a few more small pieces.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Today was deep clean day and everything  is angry.  The pom pom crab lost both of her anemones so I put off the deep clean by a week hoping she would find them.  I even looked in the bucket today hoping to find one.     She has been without them for a little more than two weeks and I haven't  seen her try to substitute anything for her missing neems.    I also pulled the chip with the Twizzler zoas off the plug.  I had to frag it because it grew onto the plug.  That was a first for me.  I hope both pieces live.  

On a side note the jar of Opae Ula I have at work now has a berried female.  If all goes well I will have shrimplets in Octeber.  I had brought the jar home while away from the office for 3 weeks and didn't  realize I had a female holding eggs until I took it back.  The poor thing held her eggs while on a 40 mile freeway ride.  

• Like 3

FTS 9/30. 

The Duncan continues to grow like crazy, the GSP and Knopia are both growing long and lush and the zoas are slowly coming along.  

IMG_20191001_175246.jpg

IMG_20191001_175334.jpg

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
Christopher Marks

Hey @Wingy 👋 Can you believe it has been 7 months already? The summer is over and you married off a kid along the way!

This is a friendly reminder to post your final competition FTS and a 1 to 2 paragraph recap of your experience in the pico reef competition. Be sure to share your future plans for your pico reef as well, will it continue forward or get an upgrade? The competition ends on Sunday October 27th at midnight!

Thank you for being a part of the Old School Pico Reef Competition! ❤️