ReefCleaners.org

Wingy's "Old School Pico Reef" now a 5 gallon rimless

Wingy

Funny story.  This morning the sexy shrimp was sitting in the feed me spot so I put a pellet in.  Well the emerald crab has caught on to the morning feeding and was hiding in the underside of the frogspawn, waiting,  it ran down and grabbed the pellet away from the shrimp.  I swear I heard a little gasp as the shrimp watched its breakfast being eaten by something else.  In the seconds it took for me to get another pellet and the tongs that shrimp marched over to the crab to take back that pellet and they were in a tug of war over it.  I was able to lure the shrimp away with the new pellet.  I was amazed that the shrimp was so brave.  She has never been brave.  She was the runt of the trio I had, the other two shunned her and always took her food and even now that she is full grown is still super tiny at maybe a half inch and spooks easily.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I found a really nice piece of rock today at the lfs.  Everything is really mad that I moved things around.  Hopefully things will open up tomorrow for a picture. 

• Like 2

Everything is looking much better this morning, more relaxed and less pinched closed.  The crabs and shrimp are all staying with the old rock and won't go near the new one.  That's fine.  I added a container of tisbe pods and they will have time to set up in the new rock without being bothered.  

• Like 1

Everything is still grumpy.  Please overlook the algae walls, I am not cleaning them on purpose.  The sandbed is finally starting to clear up and if algae walls can help that I am willing to have 3.  

IMG_20200628_205739819.jpg

It is the one on the left.  I am swapping the duncan and frogspawn.  They prefer being the other way.  I left some places of gentle flow for the mushrooms but forgot to ask you about what kind of flow the Kenya trees like.

That is a lot more for shipping than their estimate on the website.  Did you add insurance or did they add extra charges?  I will send additional money to cover the extra costs.  

They had 4 or 5 2nd day choices so trying to get as close as I could to real 2nd day delivery I used all of the $60 budget. Please do not be concerned about a couple of dollars. Like I said pay it forward if you ever get the chance. I just did not like the other choices because it would clearly state possible Thursday or Friday delivery. I hope it arrives on Wed. I did not even add insurance! Let me know when you get them and the condition there in.  Happy Reefing.

• Like 1

I absolutely will and thanks again.

The zoas are slowly getting over their mad and are starting to open.  The acan is is still fat and has grown, so much so that I think it might make it.  If this keeps up I will need to file down the sharp skeleton so it has a smooth surface to grow onto.  

• Like 2

One of the acan babies popped clean off the plug.  It wasn't a bailout, the skeleton came off with it.  I spotted it and nudged it into a shell fragment.  It seems happy and had feeders out last night.  

• Like 1

A week ago I added a bottle of Reef Nutrition tigger pods and wow those things are eating machines.  The glass was a carpet of algae and they have cleaned off the top 1/3 of the back wall. I haven't touched the substrate and it looks pretty darn good.  

I went to the lfs today for carbon which they didn't have but I have 5 bags of goodies floating.  The $10 tank was full of pretties today.  

They had a beautiful baseball sized fireworks cloves colony that was tempting but I don't have a place for it.  

• Like 2

The new additions are scrambled eggs zoas, blue zoas with 3 shades of blue in them, zoas that could be or are similar to rastas, a two headed bitty blasto and a baby single headed duncan.  I love their duncans and have been wanting another to add to the other side of the tank.  The sexy shrimp found the new duncan and spent the night tucked underneath holding the stem.  Oh and when I was placing the new additions the scraggly xenia fell off and landed behind the big rock.  I can't get it without moving the rock so I left it.  What do you want to bet that it grows like crazy back there just to spite me.  

I finally found someone with my light that posted a YouTube video showing their setup and included their settings.  Our tanks are similar in depth so I am going to try copying it and see what happens.  The blues already match but I am going to change my single click of white to a single click of red/green/uv and see how things look in a week.  If everything is ok I will add the 2nd click.  

• Like 1

The blue leg hermit murdered the asterea snail for it's shell.  I think I will try getting some smaller snails, maybe something that can turn itself over.  I don't have a full top so it would have to be something that isn't known to escape. 

When did GSP become more expensive than common euphyllia?  It is crazy.  A little inch square piece of plain green GSP on some rubble costs $40? 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

What I thought was a baby acan that had separated from the plug is really a orange ball anemone.  It has cool looking green tips.  I wish I had some place to keep it and keep it from causing trouble.  I can leave it for now because it is cool looking and is about the size of a lentil but if it gets to large it will become a problem.  

• Like 1