Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Thinking about changing my aquascape, thoughts?

Lognor

I've been thinking about changing my aquascape.  In typical newbie fashion, I entered the hobby with no experience and not doing any serious planning.  A friend gave me a tank, gave me some advice and sent me on my way.  I bought some sand, rock and water, and sank into the deep end of the pool.  I've learned most everything the hard way by doing it wrong or having an issue and needing to fix it.  It's been well over a year and I feel like I'm still trying to figure out optimal flow, lighting, and parameters.  

To start off, I really love my tank.  Other than the nuisance diatom/algae I'm currently dealing with and the stupid cleaner shrimp trampling and stealing food from the corals, life is pretty good.  But, I'm wondering if it could be better.  For example, 3 of my 4 acans are doing pretty good, size and growth wise, but their color is just plain blah.  Do I have them too high?  Are they getting too much light?  the same for the chalice.  It's growing great, but would it's polyps be larger and more colorful if it was lower?  But because of the way I have the rock in the tank, the size of the boulders, and the size of my euphyllias, I really don't have much room to move any of it lower. 

I'd like to have things higher in the tank, but when I do water changes, it would expose to much.  So height wise I feel limited, otherwise I'd consider moving some of the LPS up more.  I love my LPS, but man they like to sting the hell out of other things.  😄 

I love the rock 2-tiered rock I have in the foreground, especially with the zoas and leptastra finally filling out, but it takes up a ton of space, which in turn forces me to have everything behind it higher, resulting in big boulders without a lot on them.  None of my rock is mounted to each other, just 3 boulders as a base and one sitting on top creating a cave in the center with multiple inlets.  Other than the zoa's and the chalice, corals can be removed and remounted. 

So, I'm looking for some thoughts and good conversation on tank stuff.  Thanks

IMG_9931b.thumb.JPG.d9157fc75589bf624bb827a755dfdad4.JPG

• Like 1