Cultivated Reef

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

Huh, that may have been the source of your tank crash, maybe you partially disturbed the sand bed when you got the new animals in? Such a low water volume, for you to have, not only a smell, but detectable-levels can't have been easy on the livestock.
Crazy happenings like that convinced be to go bare-bottom, also I had a feeling it was pavona, super-excited that it survived and hope it grows well for you just watch out for the sweepers they can be really nasty.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Wow, that's pretty cool.  Many people dismiss the presence of hydrogen sulphide.  It's interesting that you were able to quantify it.

Yeah, now I know that it was present it could explain the grey clumping sand (As well as the small grain size)

Very interesting for me at least, makes me wonder what sort of system i would require to create a quantity that would cause long term effects. 

500PPM - Collapse in 5 minutes, unconscious in 10-15 minutes, Dead in 30-60 Minutes

700PPM - Unconscious in 2 breathes, dead in 1-2 minutes

10000PPM - Instant Death

I wonder if i could experiment with a tank to create this and claim it as a work science experiment. I mean i know i encounter it in sewers when you wade through the silt (same effect as disturbing sand bed) obviously sewers have a bit more help to get to those levels

Just now, Wonderboy said:

Good call on the culprit @seabass 👍

@Ratvan bare bottom is seeming like a sure bet now lol

Definitely, tank is razored clean

I plan on taking it home this weekend and see if my Mrs notices it when she gets back on Sunday.......

Having the competition tank at work and being unable to work on it during the weekends and evenings is very stressful

Might have to bring it back to the office Monday though

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Huh, that may have been the source of your tank crash, maybe you partially disturbed the sand bed when you got the new animals in? Such a low water volume, for you to have, not only a smell, but detectable-levels can't have been easy on the livestock.
Crazy happenings like that convinced be to go bare-bottom, also I had a feeling it was pavona, super-excited that it survived and hope it grows well for you just watch out for the sweepers they can be really nasty.

It's in my 5.5G at the moment. 

Isolated in a corner

Literally just thrown everything in 

Sort it out later

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Well I finally heard back from the shop I ordered the Corals from. They have confirmed that this is in fact Green Pavona.

I have more or less striped down this tank at the moment, I am going to consider my next move over the weekend. 

Definitely Bare Bottom this time around

Im still on team Lepto. Lol, wouldnt be the first time an LFS mis-identified a coral. I got 2 jack-o-lantern leptoseris for $20  each cause they were mis-identified. Only to find out a few days later that they were supposed to be marked at $80 each.

all the pavona I’ve seen have way longer “tentacles” and almost have a furry look about them most of the time. But I am hardly an expert, and I may be wrong. I did see a couple pavona that look like yours when I searched, so who knows? Lol

i guess it’s a pavona for now. Either way, it’s neat

also, the hydrogen sulfide meter going off is outrageous! How cool you were able to witness that and take some measure of the gas released!! Makes me wanna stir my sand bed and stick my nose above the tank...lol. But maybe not after your post about how many ppm it takes to begin causing damage...lol

• Like 1

Yeah looking back there were a few signs that I should have noticed. Slowly spreading darkness, small air pockets in lower 1/5 sand bed...

The grey clumps became an almost dust, like the sort unwashed silica you get off bagged playsand. 

I did very little else except poke at it most of the afternoon

The Duncan looks especially happy in the 5.5G taking on a much different appearance with better flow. I can definately see little heads forming which is so exciting. I might "borrow" the DSLR that I got the Mrs as an anniversary gift a few years back for that course she wants to take and still hasn't. I digress.

Zoas look battered a bit by the flow but I should be able to arrange the rock better Monday morning to settle them down.

Thinking seriously now how I want to refresh this thing correctly.

Oh yeah Monti Bones are in the 5.5G as well on the off chance, under an overhang made by those frag holders on DIY eggcrate.

I have an idea of the display. Just need to really understand my water a bit more

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Well it's going to be a while before I can get back to this, I took part in a charity boxing event over the weekend. I am now in Hospital with Internal Bleeding and a Lacerated Spleen! 👍

External Injuries

IMG_1796.thumb.JPG.9f09b65afd6bfa818d5ff4089d91fb02.JPG

IMG_1848.thumb.JPG.d4c6cacf0bf6786fe40987f4292e3e64.JPG

So have at least 2 week stay in here, waiting to see whether I am going to get a tap in my ribs today or now

At least the tank and equipment are clean 

• Sad 6
  • Wow 5
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Dude, that sucks.  Sorry you got hurt.  Maybe next time you can just give them a check.  Heal quickly!

I raised just under £5000 for them so not bad.

I always forget how slowly I actually heal since being diagnosed 

Nurse has rocked up with a bottle and syringe so lets see what he plan is here

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Charity hurts.

Sylvester-Stallone-and-Hulk-Hogan-in-Roc

I commend you for helping out.  Take care and get well soon.

Cheers for the well wishes boss. 

Chest Drain is in, looks like I have some sort of Skimmer device in my chest at the minute, will try and get a photo of the human "Skimmate" 

It stinks so bad 🤢

• Wow 5

Wow. Those injuries do suck. A lot.

I wonder why you have an effusion though on your right side. Doesn't make sense. If it was traumatic it should be the colour of blood, not straw coloured like you have there.

Praying that your spleen heals up and they don't have to chop it out.🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No idea, someone did try explaining it but i was oogling the nurse and the pointy needle. 

By the sounds of it should be fine, on my 2nd bottle at the moment, I can almost take a full deep breathe again.

Its probably the start of Pneumonia, also I do have Cancer diagnosis so have a lot of White blood cells from that

Plus they could have punctured my Pleural Sac by mistake 

• Wow 4

Holy 💩 !

I'm so sorry to hear all this. That was very thoughtful/persistant of you to raise that money, but holy 💩 ; all this doesn't quite seem like a fair exchange...   I'm really hoping that you come back 100% from this quick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hmm. More than likely then it'll be due to the pneumonia or cancer. Probably your lungs took a battering as well, which is why you now feel it.

13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Plus they could have punctured my Pleural Sac by mistake 

They definitely punctured your pleura in order to get to the fluid. But if they nicked the lung you'd be blowing bubbles into the drain - like a proper skimmer...

• Wow 2

Someone was going for low blows, if they got your spleen I'd be pretty happy that they managed to miss your liver... (Unless that's the internal bleeding, probably not as that tends to be emergent and it's far more common when struck on the right hand side). I hope you mend up quick, it's insane to think that something like this could have landed you in lifelong debt this side of the puddle... 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Holy 💩 !

I'm so sorry to hear all this. That was very thoughtful/persistant of you to raise that money, but holy 💩 ; all this doesn't quite seem like a fair exchange...   I'm really hoping that you come back 100% from this quick.

Thank you. The Charity I fought for housed my Mother before she passed a few Christmases ago now.  I also go to them when I need Bloods taken or need someone to talk to about my Cancer. So just paying things forwards really. 

20 minutes ago, Tempestas said:

Hmm. More than likely then it'll be due to the pneumonia or cancer. Probably your lungs took a battering as well, which is why you now feel it.

They definitely punctured your pleura in order to get to the fluid. But if they nicked the lung you'd be blowing bubbles into the drain - like a proper skimmer...

Quiet likely, also smoking for 20 yeas probably doesn't help

5 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Someone was going for low blows, if they got your spleen I'd be pretty happy that they managed to miss your liver... (Unless that's the internal bleeding, probably not as that tends to be emergent and it's far more common when struck on the right hand side). I hope you mend up quick, it's insane to think that something like this could have landed you in lifelong debt this side of the puddle... 

I always target the body, especially if they are bigger than me (like in this instance) so he got me back good and proper. All's fair and that. 

Ha i'd be in lifelong debt anyways with cancer diagnosis, thankfully my 2 years in the USA I get to take my NHS cover with me (free medical) 

If i choose to stay I'd lose it permanently though. Currently anyways

3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Wow! Rest up and hope you get well quickly. That is some charity event! 

Thank you. Just need some entertainment. Mrs bringing in my acoustic guitar this evening 

And paper and pen so I can design my tank

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Get well soon @Ratvan, we’re all rooting for you! I get the sense this wasn’t your first boxing match?

Was my first time on a scorecard. Scraped it on points. So my record is currently 1-0. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

@Hannahhhh thank you, hope your eye is doing better as well!

I do get to sit here and laugh at the Doctors and Nurses trying to work out my piercings on the X-Rays. 

I am slightly concerned that they left the tap in my chest by mistake, unless I get this again tomorrow? Who knows

People at work are trying to set up my Pico for when I get back which is nice

• Like 5