Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

Glad you started getting the bubble algae out. It can take over quick.

Thanks, its going to take a while, the rock that it is all on is tiny. The Zoa "heads" are 1mm maximum and 2-3mm tall. Very cute

Every few days I plan on pulling it out and repeating the process in a separate bucket.

I plan on Fragging this last, mainly due to size. Also because I can see about 4 different colours with my eyes so want to see what i got and how i can arrange them first. Also the two other frags are not only larger but there is an area of rock that feels loose, so i could potentially pull away the two rock frags and be left with the Zoa's on multiple frags.

I do quite like the look of them in the Tank, Penny has been investigating them as well. Well trampling as she does

• Like 3
Just now, Ratvan said:

So I saw a couple of new things in the tank while working "overtime" lol

Flat worms and Brittle Worm?

20190425_105952.jpg

20190425_105931.jpg

20190425_162438.jpg

Flat worms creep me out. Some eat Acro's, so I don't trust 'em. But the Bristle worm is a nice addition to a CUC that helps with detritus. Just try not to touch 'em with bare hands when you handle the rocks.

7 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Flat worms creep me out. Some eat Acro's, so I don't trust 'em. But the Bristle worm is a nice addition to a CUC that helps with detritus. Just try not to touch 'em with bare hands when you handle the rocks.

Would that produce a sharp stinging pain by any chance? I poked it ☺☺

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Would that produce a sharp stinging pain by any chance? I poked it ☺☺

Yeah, the little bristles break off in your skin. It's like a TEENY TINY porcupine got you with it's quills. Usually just a mild irritation, but it stings.

LOL Why did you poke it? LMAO omgomgomg

• Haha 4
10 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

LOL Why did you poke it? LMAO omgomgomg

Well I didnt know what it was, I cannot keep my hands out of my tanks. 

Had the same issue with my Piranha tank for a while.... took three seperate rounds of stitches to learn.

• Wow 3

Haha well saltwater has a whole new host of nasty bacteria that’s not in freshwater, as well as possible paly toxins from some palythoa and zoanthids. And these are just some of the more common ones...lol. I really recommend trying to keep your hands outta the tank, or use gloves. However,  I used to have a buddy that would stick his hands in the tank with open wounds, and he never had anything terrible happen.

I’m just a stickler for safety, especially now that I have a daughter and wanna set the right example. But of course, you’re gonna do what you’re comfortable with, and it’s probably not too big of a deal really.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Haha well saltwater has a whole new host of nasty bacteria that’s not in freshwater, as well as possible paly toxins from some palythoa and zoanthids. And these are just some of the more common ones...lol. I really recommend trying to keep your hands outta the tank, or use gloves. However,  I used to have a buddy that would stick his hands in the tank with open wounds, and he never had anything terrible happen.

I’m just a stickler for safety, especially now that I have a daughter and wanna set the right example. But of course, you’re gonna do what you’re comfortable with, and it’s probably not too big of a deal really.

My initial thought on hearing palytoxin was to have a desktop death tank, everything in it could kill me.... then I remembered what I'm like and.. not the best idea. 

I will try and stop being so hands on, it's one of the things I want to concentrate on for the contest

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

My initial thought on hearing palytoxin was to have a desktop death tank, everything in it could kill me.... then I remembered what I'm like and.. not the best idea. 

I will try and stop being so hands on, it's one of the things I want to concentrate on for the contest

It’s probably healthier for your reef as well, the less you mess with it, the happier it will be in general as long as parameters remain stable

• Like 1

Right then, got a surprise delivery this morning at work, seems as though instead of waiting for my order to be together to be shipped I seem to have got a part delivery.  I might have something in my Tank for April FTS!!

Cheap Duncan Frag (to get over the Free Delivery Limit)

3 Sexy Shrimp 

Annnd we have a complete Cycle!!

Currently drip acclimatising the Sexies and Bringing Duncan up to temp after 9% H2o2 dip 

20190429_124537.jpg

20190429_124528.jpg

20190429_124533.jpg

• Like 3

Sexy shrimp are so CUTE! I'm debating about getting some... I'll see how yours behave over the next few weeks, lol!

What else did you get in your order?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wendy said:

Sexy shrimp are so CUTE! I'm debating about getting some... I'll see how yours behave over the next few weeks, lol!

These three are very funny, they survived their first night and just witnessed a 4 way squabble between the trio of shrimp and Miss Penny Pincher for breakfast (MPP won). I'm only feeding with a certain set of tweezers (red wrapped ends) so hopefully they will learnt hat these mean food and wont scatter in the future. We will see. To be honest the thread that i visit most regularly on here is the Sexy Shrimp thread, wanted these since I started looking at Saltwater. 

@Wendy I ordered some more Paly and Zoa Frags (5+ Polyps), MOC I think must stand for Mail Order Coral, so their own colour morph or something?

Electric Apply Paly

MOC Hot Sapphire Zoa

MOC Cool Citrine 

Radioactive Dragons Eye Zoa

MOC Ring of Fire Zoa

I already have green in the tank with my "Sump Zoa" Rocks and the gorgeous new Duncan so I wanted to add some Brighter Green, Blues and Reds to see what happens. I have been cycling some more LR in my back up so I can have a play with some more scapes as I really dont like the way mine is set up currently.  

In other news, my Codium seems to slowly be growing back since i gave up and dumped it in the HOB and my Gracilaria is now growing at the same rate as my Xenia in my back up Pico? Interestingly both these places are heavily shaded so maybe that was were i went wrong. Even more confused as I have not tested or changed my Back Up Pico's water since I set it up.... Xenia gone from 2 to 5 heads so far

Finally seems like I have the perfect Clean up Crew in the tank, no algae that i can spot on the glass or sand, although there is a lot of detritus.  

20190430_082541.jpg

20190430_082517.jpg

20190430_082526.jpg

20190430_082535.jpg

20190430_082556.jpg

20190430_082550.jpg

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I just got some sexies this weekend myself, I love their dance!  Off to a great start 🙂

I know, I saw them advertised as a clean up crew and got so excited. Then i read up on them and had to be patient. To be honest i would have preferred Thursday as an arrival date. 

Thank you, i'm adding my frags when they arrive and then sit back and watch. I've seen so many little polyps on the rocks I cant wait to see them all grow. 

• Like 2

A Sexy Photo shoot for today

These two seem to like annoying my Duncan, not eating it but they don't stray far from it. It's been closed most of the time today due to this

20190501_130736.jpg

20190501_130743.jpg

20190501_130728.jpg

Urgh I missed that Algae during the quick scrub down

Edited by Ratvan
  • Like 6

So my delivery turned up in it's allocated time slot (YAY), my Betta tank is the same as my Saltwater and is large enough to float the Frag Bags and another bag of RODI (for FW Dip)

Have to wait until lunch time before i start dipping and adding to tank.....

urghhh torture

20190502_100654.jpg

20190502_100331.jpg

20190502_100648.jpg

• Like 2

So the polyps are slowly opening and wow I love some of the colours I am seeing. Sadly my Camera is not doing these justice but i will keep trying.

Photo's taken with "Only" Office Lighting (Flurescent tubes) I am assuming that it'll take more than a few days for these to really colour up?

MOC = Mail Order Corals

MOC Cool Citrine Zoa

20190502_133604.thumb.jpg.287a511cca5075ccb4fa8dd83d0336a9.jpg

MOC Hot Sapphires Zoa

20190502_133613.thumb.jpg.b99682d6f6e4465bc3f5022bc00bff6c.jpg

MOC Ring of Fire Zoa

20190502_133620.thumb.jpg.9bc906e823fc95d811263989f0f82547.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eyes - Love it!!!

20190502_134131.thumb.jpg.0b264050b5150d3e5c20ff29b53b4e88.jpg

The Electric Apple Palys are the new "cool place" to be with all the Sexy Shrimp and MPP running over the frag, so still very much closed up tight

• Like 7

Looking good! I am actively looking for more corals, may break down and place an order online soon too! Glad all the Zoas are opening, and the shrimps are settling in!

• Thanks 1