Cultivated Reef

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I still can't believe it ate through the coral like that! But yes, it does look pretty - have never seen a nudi with such 'frilly' extensions. 

I don't think it did all the damage, I noticed a bit of slime and blew some water at it with a pipette. Loads of "chalk dust" came off it and saw that thing nestled in there in the split. Had to open the hole a bit to get the tweezers in to get the thing out. The chunks have settled around the tank so I shall see what happens with that, Looking online it seems to suggest that this may be the way of propagation when under stress or attack. 

Man you have been having a run of shotty luck. Glad it's starting to open back up and you were able to catch the nudi "early". Have to admit, it's no wonder some folks try to keep them around on purpose, really pretty creature.

1 minute ago, Amphrites said:

Man you have been having a run of shotty luck. Glad it's starting to open back up and you were able to catch the nudi "early". Have to admit, it's no wonder some folks try to keep them around on purpose, really pretty creature.

It's definitely been a trial by fire so far.

Now looking for Salt Recommendations as I can finally get some reliable RODI for cheap

Watch it closely.  If it continues to deteriorate, consider using a razor blade to cleanly cut off affected areas (even to the point if you have to just leave the stem).

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Now looking for Salt Recommendations as I can finally get some reliable RODI for cheap

What do you have available to you?

1 minute ago, seabass said:

What do you have available to you?

My LFS Carries the below, plus I have Ebay, Amazon etc 

Aqaurium Systems 1010000 Instant Ocean

Tropic Marin Salt

Kent Marine Reef Salt

Aquaforest Reef Mineral Salt

Instant Ocean 

Red Sea Salt

Ocean Reef Pro

DD H2Ocean 

I'm sure prices are all over the board for those brands.  I like Tropic Marin, but don't buy it because it costs so much more than what I use.  Online only tends to make sense when free shipping is involved.  The Red Sea (blue bucket) is very popular, but does have a lower alkalinity level (which can be considered either good or bad depending on what you are doing and who you talk to).  Reef Crystals is usually fairly cheap; however, people sometimes report inconsistent levels.

You'll probably get (and read) lot of opinions on which salt mix to use.  In general, the salt mix isn't usually the most important factor in success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use reef crystals, but plenty recommend against them because of the alk swings [you can always mix instant ocean with reef crystals 50-50] ( I use Instant ocean RC bargain-buy @50 gallons which I then throw into double-sealed plastic-bags measured out to 1 gallon of water per bag @ 1.026, and two-part to stay at near 11dkh anyway so it doesn't swing me much). 
Plenty swear by red sea, can't really speak for the others...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm sure prices are all over the board for those brands.  I like Tropic Marin, but don't buy it because it costs so much more than what I use.  Online only tends to make sense when free shipping is involved.  The Red Sea (blue bucket) is very popular, but does have a lower alkalinity level (which can be considered either good or bad depending on what you are doing and who you talk to).  Reef Crystals is usually fairly cheap; however, people sometimes report inconsistent levels.

You'll probably get (and read) lot of opinions on which salt mix to use.  In general, the salt mix isn't usually the most important factor in success.

9 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I use reef crystals, but plenty recommend against them because of the alk swings [you can always mix instant ocean with reef crystals 50-50] ( I use Instant ocean RC bargain-buy @50 gallons which I then throw into double-sealed plastic-bags measured out to 1 gallon of water per bag @ 1.026, and two-part to stay at near 11dkh anyway so it doesn't wing me much). 
Plenty swear by red sea, can't really speak for the others...

Thanks guys, The Red Sea (blue bucket) seems to be the best price wise as well (for branded stuff)

• Like 2

Red sea blue bucket is my fav salt of all that I have tried. I only use it on my SPS tank tbh... cuz I am cheap and the rest get Live Aquaria salt 😛

I bought a yellow fiji leather that had a rotten spot like that in the middle. I took it out and blew out all the necrotic tissue.... debridement of the wound 😛 and it recovered. Careful though, that necrotic/dead tissue will harm/piss off other corals if it flies into them. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Red sea blue bucket is my fav salt of all that I have tried. I only use it on my SPS tank tbh... cuz I am cheap and the rest get Live Aquaria salt 😛

I bought a yellow fiji leather that had a rotten spot like that in the middle. I took it out and blew out all the necrotic tissue.... debridement of the wound 😛 and it recovered. Careful though, that necrotic/dead tissue will harm/piss off other corals if it flies into them. 

New carbon added shortly after 100% water change. Not taking anymore chances 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Hole is slightly larger now but I got it out :blush:

20190815_121658.thumb.jpg.f8dac08676dd44e887b6676d52acfaa0.jpg

Pretty little b#stard

Very pretty. 

I found the pic of the blue one I found a few years back on my blue sympodium. They look very similar. 

19DE7FE2-DD66-495D-94EB-B8DE2CF9923B.thumb.jpeg.117412cadb924c7ca0c165fe038e79cb.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Very pretty. 

I found the pic of the blue one I found a few years back on my blue sympodium. They look very similar. 

19DE7FE2-DD66-495D-94EB-B8DE2CF9923B.thumb.jpeg.117412cadb924c7ca0c165fe038e79cb.jpeg

That's gorgeous. I've spotted a couple in my LFS that have clearly been eating Radioactive Green Zoas. Colour is gorgeous

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

That's gorgeous. I've spotted a couple in my LFS that have clearly been eating Radioactive Green Zoas. Colour is gorgeous

It was so pretty that I thought about buying him more coral to eat so that he would live! 😄

• Haha 6
18 hours ago, seabass said:

Watch it closely.  If it continues to deteriorate, consider using a razor blade to cleanly cut off affected areas (even to the point if you have to just leave the stem).

So if there is a lot of damage to the stem that I hadn't previously noticed, what am I best of doing? Cut the head from the stem and make frags? Keep up with carbon and cocktail stick the frags to rock? I've also pulled a load of Asterina Stars off it this morning

• Wow 1

Sorry I don't have a lot of leather experience... Hope your luck turns around soon though - you deserve it with how well you have put up with so many "deterrent" circumstances. Good to hear you found clean water, too.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Sorry I don't have a lot of leather experience... Hope your luck turns around soon though - you deserve it with how well you have put up with so many "deterrent" circumstances. Good to hear you found clean water, too.

I have to say since I started with the THC Oil in my Vape, i take pretty much anything in my stride.

Just waiting for my Fob to arrive, I also got 700 Litres free for signing up so I am good for water changes for roughly a year at the current rate. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So if there is a lot of damage to the stem that I hadn't previously noticed, what am I best of doing? Cut the head from the stem and make frags? Keep up with carbon and cocktail stick the frags to rock?

Hmm... with that much damage, I'm really not sure.  You might need to trust your gut a little.  I wish you luck.

• Like 3
Just now, seabass said:

Hmm... with that much damage, I'm really not sure.  You might need to trust your gut a little.  I wish you luck.

Well since it is Friday and I cant supervise the tank after another 3 hours until Monday morning I decided to put off fragging and instead has placed the coral in a plastic cup, it has some gentle flow (enough to lift the cap slightly). It is in a slightly shaded area and I do have more Polyp Extension then previously so 🤷‍♂️

Will frag Monday if it makes it

• Like 4

Well, seems Friday I forgot to re introduce the carbon after giving the HOB its first clean. Obviously I have an injured Leather and well......... f#ck

All Yuma's except one have turned to snot, lost a Cabbage Coral, Kenya Tree, and Blue Ochtodes. 

Leather looking horrifically snotty, so glad I decided to wait till today 🤦‍♂️

Duncan is looking the best I've seen it in a long while, f*ck that thing

Xenia looking really nice and the rest of the red algae has a nice deep hue. 

20190819_083240.jpg

20190819_083220.jpg

20190819_083227.jpg

20190819_083233.jpg

20190819_083237.jpg

• Sad 3
  • Wow 2

Well my compensation for the shipping disasters with the Hammer Corals arrived today, been sent Same Day Courier 😱 Would've preferred not to get this now.

20190819_130739.thumb.jpg.c73de686806deca01b0e78f6c54d9a86.jpg

Guess I'll keep him in the contest Pico? F#ck sakes

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

So decided to add this fella to the Pico, the Mrs wanted one at home anyway I guess so........ yeah. Meet Hantu. Hungry little booger. Eaten flake, pellets and live already. So good with that side of things. 

20190819_140921.thumb.jpg.2673b035b066fe18366f065eba34a511.jpg20190819_140925.thumb.jpg.2bfcce0c3e9576cbe19ad121a67dbf55.jpg

• Like 5
Snow_Phoenix
5 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

So decided to add this fella to the Pico, the Mrs wanted one at home anyway I guess so........ yeah. Meet Hantu. Hungry little booger. Eaten flake, pellets and live already. So good with that side of things. 

20190819_140921.thumb.jpg.2673b035b066fe18366f065eba34a511.jpg20190819_140925.thumb.jpg.2bfcce0c3e9576cbe19ad121a67dbf55.jpg

Hantu? Cute name. In local Malay dialect here, 'hantu' means 'ghost'. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

Hantu? Cute name. In local Malay dialect here, 'hantu' means 'ghost'. 🙂 

He bit me in seconds so yeah, Hantu Air. He is harsh and has already harmed me

Will be Puja time if he does that again

• Haha 1