ReefCleaners.org

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

40 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Sorry about the heater and cracked tank. 😞

Did the livestock make it through?

Yeah thankfully just macro algae and a small Clean up Crew, the Red Macro looks like crap but i think it should pull through

23 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

holyshit man :sad:… Heaters suck. That is the one stupid piece that seems to always ruin the day....

Yeah this is now my 3rd heater on this Pico

I'm more annoyed about the fact that I finally had a plan for all my corals, and now this lol

So when is the next Pico contest?

I need a new tank

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
36 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yeah thankfully just macro algae and a small Clean up Crew, the Red Macro looks like crap but i think it should pull through

Yeah this is now my 3rd heater on this Pico

I'm more annoyed about the fact that I finally had a plan for all my corals, and now this lol

So when is the next Pico contest?

I need a new tank

man that's super annoying :sad:. Are they different brands of heaters or did you have one brand that you used? 

Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

man that's super annoying :sad:. Are they different brands of heaters or did you have one brand that you used? 

All different, branded and non branded. So far had a Superfish, Nicrew and an Unbranded one go. 😱

Fairly certain that the heat has affected the Eggcrate and dry rock DIY wall (that was falling apart) so have had to dump that, after dipping in plain RO and rescuing the Worms and Stars and Pods. 

Anyway, popped to pets at home and spent £15 this lunch time, for new tank and heater (50w unbranded) reintroduced the rest of the seeded rocks, sand and added some bacteria plus the remainder of the mixed salt water I had remaining 

Will be adding the Zoas and Palys from the 5.5G on monday if i remember 

IMG_20200110_134933.thumb.jpg.6aee9db039549672d61c12c7b2e3c978.jpg

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
20 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

All different, branded and non branded. So far had a Superfish, Nicrew and an Unbranded one go. 😱

Fairly certain that the heat has affected the Eggcrate and dry rock DIY wall (that was falling apart) so have had to dump that, after dipping in plain RO and rescuing the Worms and Stars and Pods. 

Anyway, popped to pets at home and spent £15 this lunch time, for new tank and heater (50w unbranded) reintroduced the rest of the seeded rocks, sand and added some bacteria plus the remainder of the mixed salt water I had remaining 

Will be adding the Zoas and Palys from the 5.5G on monday if i remember 

IMG_20200110_134933.thumb.jpg.6aee9db039549672d61c12c7b2e3c978.jpg

nice too bad about the wall though :sad:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

nice too bad about the wall though :sad:

I could have cleaned off the rock and salvaged a lot more than I did, but I couldn't be bothered and have something like 35kg sat around at home. I know what I need to do to get the next one looking better.

Weekend DIY workshop for the Spec 3

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Wtf happened, heater explode?
Scary, think i might have to get a TITanium heater now. 

Yeah. 3rd time I had a heater issue in this tank in less than a year..... I might see how warm it gets under the Kessil and go heater less. The office stays at around 80F so temp should sit around mid 70s... Or find one of those little Pre set betta heaters and hide it in the Hob filter

• Like 3

What ya doing with them heaters man, i've only just recently had one go faulty on me in like 15 years and i'm not sure if it's even the heater or the controller :D.
You could always try maybe one of them heat matts that people use for lizards n stuff? 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Proxo said:

What ya doing with them heaters man, i've only just recently had one go faulty on me in like 15 years and i'm not sure if it's even the heater or the controller :D.
You could always try maybe one of them heat matts that people use for lizards n stuff? 

The one in my FW tank is 10 years old. 🤷‍♂️ But is too big to fit in the tank, I could make a sump for the heater but that's getting a little silly

Don't make em like they used to, only reason I can think of. 

• Like 2
Just now, Wingy said:

Could it be a power issue?  It seems strange that so many would fail on such a short amount of time.

Power issue how? Like a surge? 

Unlikely but I could easily look into it Monday. Not like I actually do much work nowdays

• Like 1

Perhaps a bad outlet or bad wiring to the outlet.  

I have a light fixture that gets a crimp in the wire every now and again and it goes all kinds of wacky cycling from ultra bright to barely lit.  

Wingy has a good point here, i have surge protectors on almost everything lately.
Had a PC pretty much burn from a power surge years ago, just from the power cutting off in the house for like half a second lol.

47 minutes ago, Wingy said:

Perhaps a bad outlet or bad wiring to the outlet.  

I have a light fixture that gets a crimp in the wire every now and again and it goes all kinds of wacky cycling from ultra bright to barely lit.  

I shall access the cable trays via crawl space Monday morning and track them back to source

42 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Wingy has a good point here, i have surge protectors on almost everything lately.
Had a PC pretty much burn from a power surge years ago, just from the power cutting off in the house for like half a second lol.

I have both tanks on a separate 3 phase supply to the rest of the office. Shared with the hard wired alarms. 

Surge protection on both extension cords and not 100% but think the area of building has surge protection before sockets. Will have to pull the original plans and have a look. 

• Like 1

Spec 3 Rock wall build in progress, waiting on the foam to dry out slightly so I can push the air out of it and get it set a little firmer. Then sand and small rubble to be added. 

IMG_20200111_144144.thumb.jpg.d4ff1b922aec8ec241d4865008e131d2.jpg

I have deliberately gone higher than the start of the weir so that I can keep the DT water level higher. I will also need to DIY a media rack and funnel the weir exit. 

IMG_20200111_144425.thumb.jpg.0b37e8cc150296b63292e2b0449e4693.jpg

Tie wraps were used to hold the rocks in place through holes drilled in the rocks. Anything that came off the rock went into a bucket for the final details. 

IMG_20200111_150658.thumb.jpg.e619a7ea5dd4053a73e514578ee06a8a.jpg

Foam sprayed into gaps. Waiting on this to set now so I can add the detail from the bucket. 

IMG_20200111_150701.thumb.jpg.f26bea4d355f026d91924b21f16d41f2.jpg

• Like 3

IMG_20200112_121312.thumb.jpg.50fe9abe5d162c91ba7b30b475a21d3f.jpg

Well then, typical British weather interrupted the scheduled build. Pushed all air out of foam, sadly forgot the bucket and is now full of rain, sand and small bits. Will find something else to finish the build with

IMG_20200112_123241.thumb.jpg.a3def28bd3883d2310a5319414793597.jpg

Need to chisel a bit of rock off of each side to allow for a nice snug fit. Currently will not fit flush. Will need to fit this to the AIO insert with aquarium sealant this time aroundIMG_20200112_123249.thumb.jpg.528b8a5a7bc328862ffe7b0d14cdd3cd.jpg

I remembered to leave a gap for where the return nozzle enters the display. IMG_20200112_123254.thumb.jpg.8b9d76c027a1b239998b0398591ec05c.jpg

Still can neaten this up and add more space for corals and or macro algae. 

IMG_20200112_123305.thumb.jpg.832d7ab0413c4f4373ac298f509a6d25.jpg

Still a large enough area for a sandbed/barebottom with frag discs/couple of islands or even an archIMG_20200112_123312.thumb.jpg.a2fb13544d99c54a76e4447ec6b491ca.jpgIMG_20200112_123322.thumb.jpg.d649976d68d4948778d6427e147fef8f.jpg

Need to dig out some more tie wraps to finish the media rack as well

IMG_20200112_123333.jpg

• Like 7

IMG_20200112_134000.thumb.jpg.4f04a420463ca0178e3c5d6a29364f67.jpg

Have chopped and chiseled away at the sides and it now fits, going to leave it tight on the back and sides like it is currently. IMG_20200112_134007.thumb.jpg.260161f321a74a62bfa444ae8847f6cb.jpg

Middle Rock on eggcrate is there so the structure sits flush. Will remove this once the wall has set into place. IMG_20200112_134025.thumb.jpg.74edaa7c52f87cf13624a7e1c37228f6.jpg

Need to pick up some silicone tomorrow and continue with the build. Plan on building the rest and final touches with wall in situ

Have ordered a 15w preset Betta heater with probe and Led display that should lay flat in the back section well under the raised rear wall section with room for the mini 606 pump as well. 

Leaning towards Zoas, mushrooms, rfas and a trio of sexy shrimp currently

• Like 7

Not to nock the one before it, but this Rockwall looks much better, really like the look of the dry rock vs. the river rock. It all just fits together, through no lack of effort on your part I'm sure XD, but the foam blends-in and fades into the color of the rock really nicely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Not to nock the one before it, but this Rockwall looks much better, really like the look of the dry rock vs. the river rock. It all just fits together, through no lack of effort on your part I'm sure XD, but the foam blends-in and fades into the color of the rock really nicely.

With you on that 100%. The ceramic rock was good for a practice run, it's also amazing to anchor down macro algae as it has a very pumice like texture and great to bury in the sand. Having said that, not the best choice for this. Would be good sump/chamber media as well i would have thought. 

I'll be honest, it went together very easily. I got a great selection of dry rock (finally) that I have hoarded. I sorted out nice shaped pieces that had a large flat section and tie wrapped them down. Just had to approximate how much I needed and knew that the foam would help me out filling gaps. I might be able to work some pieces into thin branch like shapes which would be interesting. I would love a Tonga branch or something similar to go in the foreground. I know my LFS has some LPS and Xenia growing on some, need to check size and type to see if it'll work. Hope the Xenia bits are cheap lol. 

• Like 4

How's the British amazon market for heaters? 

There's gotta be one for like €30 that has good reviews. 

I have a boxtech with external temp control. However it was sticking and heating the tank to 82f so I coupled it with a finex max 300 thermostat. 

Worth the investment. 

This one looks good? https://www.amazon.co.uk/NICREW-Submersible-Aquarium-External-Controller/dp/B07Q45854Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=Aquarium+heater&qid=1578858288&sr=8-3

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1