Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

6 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Like night and day. That’s awesome! I’m so pleased that you like the Asta, and yeah, that 60 degree lens makes all the difference, huh? 

Tank looks great!

Perfect analogy! In all honesty the difference between the office lighting and the original light was nominal. It did help my phone focus though so not too bad. Interestingly two of these makes my brown Polyps have the tiniest neon glow lmao. When I frag them (tomorrow I hope if I have the time) and put them under the Asta I have big expectations.... or I could just bend the Asta. 1st gooseneck and I love it.

I didnt try the 180 lens to be honest, I thought it was such as small space it would spill over everywhere. 

More importantly the extension on the Duncan. Gave it its first feed of reef roids tonight. 😍😍😍

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Perfect analogy! In all honesty the difference between the office lighting and the original light was nominal. It did help my phone focus though so not too bad. Interestingly two of these makes my brown Polyps have the tiniest neon glow lmao. When I frag them (tomorrow I hope if I have the time) and put them under the Asta I have big expectations.... or I could just bend the Asta. 1st gooseneck and I love it.

I didnt try the 180 lens to be honest, I thought it was such as small space it would spill over everywhere. 

More importantly the extension on the Duncan. Gave it its first feed of reef roids tonight. 😍😍😍

I really wanna pick up some reef roids! I’ve heard great things. For now I’m feeding my Corals frozen shrimp and squid, and some “marine one” mini pellets. 

My Duncan seems to like both, but prefers the home made frozen food...lol

with the reef roids, do you dose the whole tank? Like broadcast feeding? 

If you shut off ALL filters and power heads, supposedly you can just make a thin paste with a tiny bit of water and reef roids, then spot feed with a little pipette, I just watched a YouTube video about it. You just have to make sure you have zero flow in the tank when you do it

@MetaTank For a 1st attempt, honestly a combination of both. I got over enthusiastic. My process. I turned off flow and spot fed. I made up a batch for a 25G and bottled it. So give it a good shake and I have another 9 doses. 

My Turkey baster is overkill for this tank but meh. Overfed the Duncan most likely and had to distract my bulldozers (sexies and penny) they went insane for reef roids. So at that point I finished up spot feeding all but Xenia and switched back on flow.

😁

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

@MetaTank For a 1st attempt, honestly a combination of both. I got over enthusiastic. My process. I turned off flow and spot fed. I made up a batch for a 25G and bottled it. So give it a good shake and I have another 9 doses. 

My Turkey baster is overkill for this tank but meh. Overfed the Duncan most likely and had to distract my bulldozers (sexies and penny) they went insane for reef roids. So at that point I finished up spot feeding all but Xenia and switched back on flow.

😁

I know that you mean about the turkey baster, lol, it’s way overkill. I need to find a different tool as well for feeding. I may make something from a baby medicine syringe and some airline tubing...

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I know that you mean about the turkey baster, lol, it’s way overkill. I need to find a different tool as well for feeding. I may make something from a baby medicine syringe and some airline tubing...

Well I know what I'm doing in the office tomorrow

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

😁

I've been using those 3ml plastic pipettes they sell on Amazon.  Like 100 pack for $10.  If you were nearby, I'd give you some.  I have so many.  LOL.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

I've been using those 3ml plastic pipettes they sell on Amazon.  Like 100 pack for $10.  If you were nearby, I'd give you some.  I have so many.  LOL.

I have a frag of rastas for you too, and maybe some other zoas if you’re interested. 

There is a celebration celebrating LAX aquariums 4th year on June 2nd, a Sunday. I will be there. They are having a raffle with tons of stuff, and I think they said a couple brand representatives are going to set up tables. Hikari gave sample swag bags in the past. The raffle tickets are given out for every $25 you spend before the celebration 

Plus, they are having an In ‘N’ Out catering truck, and a party bus with booze...lol

My daughters birthday is the 19th, so I can’t go to the San Diego farmers market. Looks like I’m saving up for reefapalooza in August. My GF already has the room on hold I think...lol

But I may fabricate some sorta feeding device, and for now I am managing with the turkey baster and broadcast feeding. Like has been easier having regained a source of income again, albeit less than before, but that’s okay for now...lol

10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Well I know what I'm doing in the office tomorrow

Yeah, I have like 8 baby medicine syringes, lol, so lemme see if I can whip something up real quick...lol

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we have been lucky to have a friendly/helpful reefing community down here in Socal.  Like the GSP frag that I just got, a reefer gave it to me for free.  I'm hoping to give something back in return at some point when I have something worth giving.  

Though there was one guy who was rumored to steal coral right out of your tank when he visited.  They said he had wet pockets every time he left your house and then you'd notice something was gone.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I watched him like a hawk the couple times he came over to check out my tank.  He seemed like a friendly guy otherwise.  LOL.

• Like 1

Well I'm still "helping out" around my LFS now and again. Sick Betta here, Cory there etc. So I'm hoping eventually I'll get in with the SW breeders/suppliers one day. 

That day when I can hold more than 5 gallons not on a water change day. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Ugh I wish my community was as friendly as you two

I'm lucky to have found Nano Reef a few years back! Everyone I've met here has been great. Way back in the day, there used to be a gentleman named "Tenor" that had some amazing designer Zoas, and he gave me some great deals. Then when I got back into the hobby recently again, I've received nothing but love from the community again!

37 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I think we have been lucky to have a friendly/helpful reefing community down here in Socal.  Like the GSP frag that I just got, a reefer gave it to me for free.  I'm hoping to give something back in return at some point when I have something worth giving.  

Though there was one guy who was rumored to steal coral right out of your tank when he visited.  They said he had wet pockets every time he left your house and then you'd notice something was gone.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I watched him like a hawk the couple times he came over to check out my tank.  He seemed like a friendly guy otherwise.  LOL.

Yeah, when I was first stocking the tank, this guy gave me 4 rasta frags and 4 kryptonite candy canes for the price of 2 frags...and threw in some GSP too! Really been an awesome experience so far. But wet pockets? That is a funny story as long as it's not true, but stealing is gross.

33 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Well I'm still "helping out" around my LFS now and again. Sick Betta here, Cory there etc. So I'm hoping eventually I'll get in with the SW breeders/suppliers one day. 

That day when I can hold more than 5 gallons not on a water change day. 

I hope this works out for you! Just keep your eye on the prize, and you'll get hooked up with the right people eventually

• Like 1

So my Frag Plugs and Refractometer have still not arrived 😓, will have to attempt Fragging on Monday. Popped down to LFS and they're out as well so no fragging today

However, my Coral Lenses arrived this morning so I have been playing around with this instead. Still need to figure out the settings for the channels on the Asat 20 as well as now get used to the setting son my phone with the macro lense

20190510_111213.thumb.jpg.68ef344fc06a590633a5a5b5cc8d4552.jpg

With Macro and 150K lens

20190510_124732.thumb.jpg.785692e90eec866dda8d7fdb915c7262.jpg

Macro & 200k

20190510_125620.thumb.jpg.fca3f04a5a1b1831e8d0ad034da92a95.jpg

All Lenses (macro, 150K, 200k)

20190510_124711.thumb.jpg.e663e886e7c92f1722fd49b46448f5ac.jpg

Am loving the 200k & Macro Combo 👍

All photos taken with all channels 100%

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

So my Frag Plugs and Refractometer have still not arrived 😓, will have to attempt Fragging on Monday. Popped down to LFS and they're out as well so no fragging today

However, my Coral Lenses arrived this morning so I have been playing around with this instead. Still need to figure out the settings for the channels on the Asat 20 as well as now get used to the setting son my phone with the macro lense

20190510_111213.thumb.jpg.68ef344fc06a590633a5a5b5cc8d4552.jpg

With Macro and 150K lens

20190510_124732.thumb.jpg.785692e90eec866dda8d7fdb915c7262.jpg

Macro & 200k

20190510_125620.thumb.jpg.fca3f04a5a1b1831e8d0ad034da92a95.jpg

All Lenses (macro, 150K, 200k)

20190510_124711.thumb.jpg.e663e886e7c92f1722fd49b46448f5ac.jpg

Am loving the 200k & Macro Combo 👍

All photos taken with all channels 100%

Is that Duncan ok? I can’t tell, but it doesn’t look to great I think. I could be wrong tho, I’ve never owned a Duncan 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Is that Duncan ok? I can’t tell, but it doesn’t look to great I think. I could be wrong tho, I’ve never owned a Duncan 

I'm not too sure to be honest, but it is open and eating eagerly. Of course it was mobbed by the Sexies and Hermit shortly before feeding. Reef Roids need to make an Invert Food!

It seems more full and bulbous than when I got it and the "tentacles" for want of a better word are a lot longer and fatter than they were

I might actually have to scrape the inside of the glass at some point....

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
16 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I'm not too sure to be honest, but it is open and eating eagerly. Of course it was mobbed by the Sexies and Hermit shortly before feeding. Reef Roids need to make an Invert Food!

It seems more full and bulbous than when I got it and the "tentacles" for want of a better word are a lot longer and fatter than they were

I might actually have to scrape the inside of the glass at some point....

He’s probably fine, he probably just needs time to acclimate to your tank. Just keep an eye on him. 

If he starts melting take him out immediately

• Like 1

@Ratvan Your Duncan looks fine. As long as it’s open and eating, it’s fine. Believe me, if it’s pissed, you’ll know it. Tentacle length and texture can depend on a lot of factors including lighting and flow. But as long as it’s open and eating, you should be fine.

also, those pics look awesome, nice lenses!!!

@EthanPhillyCheesesteak no offense, but If you have never owned one, and had prolonged periods of time to inspect a Duncan coral, why are you telling people it doesn’t look “to great”? Dont you and your “brother” have a mantis prison to make so you can torture a living creature through your “learning experience”? I find it hard to take your advice seriously since you never take anyone else’s advice into consideration. You ask a question, but if you don’t like the answer, then argue your point till people just give up and say “do what you wanna do”. If you wanna respond to this, PM me, we don’t wanna turn this gentleman’s thread into one of your circus sideshows

Its all good, @EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The Sexy Shrimp and Penny have left it alone for a few hours now and is more open once again, i'm getting used to seeing my Corals close around feeding time once everyone has finished going insane and trampling the tank, i wonder if i can cup train the Sexies like a Betta?. 

20190508_144950.thumb.jpg.e0c24f23c60deae6d202a93d247dbb93.jpg

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Its all good, @EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The Sexy Shrimp and Penny have left it alone for a few hours now and is more open once again, i'm getting used to seeing my Corals close around feeding time once everyone has finished going insane and trampling the tank, i wonder if i can cup train the Sexies like a Betta?. 

20190508_144950.thumb.jpg.e0c24f23c60deae6d202a93d247dbb93.jpg

Nice happy Duncan. Good lookin specimen @Ratvan

@EthanPhillyCheesesteak Does that look more “normal” to you? Lol...

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Nice happy Duncan. Good lookin specimen @Ratvan

@EthanPhillyCheesesteak Does that look more “normal” to you? Lol...

Yea sorry. That Duncan is what I was talking about what I usually see for sale online and yours looks good. 

• Like 1

@EthanPhillyCheesesteak, no harm no foul as far as i'm concerned. I didn't know about them melting so that's a plus.

I'll see if I can get a feeding video of the Sexy Shrimp when I am in the office again on Monday, you'll see what my Duncan has to put up with and why it's normally closed lmao. Hope i can also get Penny's Food Dance (all legs waggle in the air frantically, then she charges)

I also see a couple of bumps under his lowest "skirt" my phone will not pick them up, I hope that they're new heads. Looks like it could be looking online

• Like 2

So I talked about my accidental fragging and frag rack. I added a new SD card to my phone so I can take some more photos without my phone breaking. 

Dipped the Polyps before transferring to the contest pico. Dont like the frag rack will try another one. I could use this reck to rescape the back up. Might take out the sand and run it as a pure qt/backup tank.... 

Anyhow the polyps surprised me when photographed. Under my min set Asta 20 they have the beginnings of colour. What could these sump dwellers be. 

The other rock I am seeing what looks like orange, yellow and green. Sadly nothing photo worthy at this point. So a photo under basic lighting. These don't seem to stretch as much now so I might put them into the backup with more gentle lighting Monday. 

Loving this "bargain bucket" approach.

20190510_142530.jpg

20190507_122311.jpg

Edited by Ratvan
Doubled up on pic
  • Like 3