Cultivated Reef

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Nudi's?

I forget... did you dip the frags?

Montipora eating nudibranchs are quite common.  I remove my frags from their disks, then dip in Bayer, then remount on new plugs (or mount directly on rock).  So far I haven't had any montipora nudies. *fingers crossed*  A good vendor doesn't hurt either.

That said, they appeared to be losing their color, almost from the start.  I'm not completely sure that they were eaten.  SPS aren't the most forgiving corals (even montipora).

1 minute ago, seabass said:

I forget... did you dip the frags?

Montipora eating nudibranchs are quite common.  I remove my frags from their disks, then dip in Bayer, then remount on new plugs (or mount directly on rock).  So far I haven't had any montipora nudies. *fingers crossed*  A good vendor doesn't hurt either.

That said, they appeared to be losing their color, almost from the start.  I'm not completely sure that they were eaten.  SPS aren't the most forgiving corals (even montipora).

Hi, yes I am still dipping the frags. Dipping every 5 days to try and remove Eggs

I know they went white almost immediately but....

20190611-096713.jpg.b0ec3f453c906194fddf721653a33017.jpg

These were from this morning's dip. Came off my Duncan's and Zoa's.

Duncan is also looking extra pissed off this morning. Not seen it clenched this tight before. Like a little green fist

Keeping Benny in the 5G at the moment, he should have gone in last week but with the algae issues I decided not too

Seriously considering leaving just the Zoa's in this and putting together a 5.5G Cube

Had to put down my Betta this morning 💔 so have a Cube Free

Just thinking I might have better stability and luck with more water capacity

Think i'm trying to spin too many plates here

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties.  I can't tell you how many times I've experienced setbacks.  Unfortunately, it's part of the learning process.

I know it seems like some people can put coral in a box and it just grows.  However, most of us, who have been around for a good while, have had to fight the good fight on occasion.  Keep your head up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, seabass said:

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties.  I can't tell you how many times I've experienced setbacks.  Unfortunately, it's part of the learning process.

I know it seems like some people can put coral in a box and it just grows.  However, most of us, who have been around for a good while, have had to fight the good fight on occasion.  Keep your head up.

Main concern at the moment is Benny my Firecracker Goby. I dont want him to stay in QT forever. Since he has now been trained onto dry and frozen 

Can knock up the cube quickly if i can work out this Jebao RW4

• Like 2
Lostandfound

If this is any motivation to not give up. This coral is now a year old after coming back from being nearly dead. Best of luck. I have used distilled store bought for top offs for a year now

20190324_202304_1560222658952.jpg

image000000_1560222694397.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Lostandfound said:

If this is any motivation to not give up. This coral is now a year old after coming back from being nearly dead. Best of luck. I have used distilled store bought for top offs for a year now

20190324_202304_1560222658952.jpg

image000000_1560222694397.jpg

Thanks, I have done a lot of reading today (and therefor 0% work) and seen several times that it is possible to bring these back if i keep the skeletons clear. SO daily turkey baster blow jobs for these. Moved them to shade. Not giving up completely, just working out next moves so I don't blow my months budget on skeletons again....

• Like 3

LMAO - it's funny cause they're bones.  :lol:

It is a little aggrivating though - Sorry to hear about the set-back.

Persistance is the name of the game - the plans to respond sound great. I am looking forward to your progress from here   :]

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

LMAO - it's funny cause they're bones.  :lol:

It is a little aggrivating though - Sorry to hear about the set-back.

Persistance is the name of the game - the plans to respond sound great. I am looking forward to your progress from here   :]

Yeah I called the shop to try and get parameters and lighting advise. Was told if I snap off the white sections the rest will regrow.

That is great, I font have anything that is not white. 

Was expecting some losses at some point, gutted that it was the ALL new Corals 

Onwards and upwards, trying to figure out a mounting option for a 165W Chinese Black Box

• Like 1

Still deep in the Uglies, looks different to the Dino's. Probably the same cause (PO4 - 1, NO3 - 20PPM), slow flow

20190612_150747.thumb.jpg.aef70138082a3c83af62fcb6443d733b.jpg

20190612_150615.thumb.jpg.b0b99b73c76de71b73b55de373bc8e49.jpg

On the plus side, Penny seems to enjoy releasing the Bubbles in the Tank. Been watching her run from bubble to bubble snapping with her little claws. 

20190612_144415.thumb.jpg.5c4efd3d59efccc460e8e5fafa2bebd1.jpg

Also this thing, actually looks better today interestingly enough. Also When received the "skirt" barely touched the edge of the Frag. Can't be sure but looks like growth to me, wish I knew what it was so I could try and Frag it

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

That looks like a leptoseris to me - I would feel more sure about that with another opinion though

I've asked on another two forums, answers seem to be 50/50 Pavona or Lepto.

Fragging seems to be the same for both (Coral Saw, Bandsaw etc) 

11 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

That looks like a leptoseris to me - I would feel more sure about that with another opinion though

I agree, a “hulk” or possibly a “convict” lepto 

12 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Still deep in the Uglies, looks different to the Dino's. Probably the same cause (PO4 - 1, NO3 - 20PPM), slow flow

20190612_150747.thumb.jpg.aef70138082a3c83af62fcb6443d733b.jpg

20190612_150615.thumb.jpg.b0b99b73c76de71b73b55de373bc8e49.jpg

On the plus side, Penny seems to enjoy releasing the Bubbles in the Tank. Been watching her run from bubble to bubble snapping with her little claws. 

20190612_144415.thumb.jpg.5c4efd3d59efccc460e8e5fafa2bebd1.jpg

Also this thing, actually looks better today interestingly enough. Also When received the "skirt" barely touched the edge of the Frag. Can't be sure but looks like growth to me, wish I knew what it was so I could try and Frag it

If it’s a lepto, the “skirt” expands a little more when the coral is happy. If it’s been pissed for the past few days, and it’s finally happy, it may just be “opening” a little further. Technically it’s an LPS too, so has the ability to expand a bit more than when it’s pissed

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Amphrites said:

That kind of looks like cyanobacteria to me.

Yeah there was none this morning pre-lights on, makes me think Cyano. Just thrown my entire PO4 Test Kit across my carpet as I was about to test, so cant do that this morning 🤢

Still looking for a cheap power head for the Pico, or will have to re arrange the rocks so no dead spots. I don't know.

Now the lights have been on for 20 minutes I can start to see it accumulating on the sand bed. Not seen it on my rocks yet.  

4 hours ago, MetaTank said:

If it’s a lepto, the “skirt” expands a little more when the coral is happy. If it’s been pissed for the past few days, and it’s finally happy, it may just be “opening” a little further. Technically it’s an LPS too, so has the ability to expand a bit more than when it’s pissed

That's useful to know, it does look a bit more inflated this morning.

Been doing more reading on SPS Corals, seems that a lot of people recommend a mature tank (6 months plus), I do want to try these again at some point

It's what now? SPS and LPS?

I'm very tempted to just leave this alone now and focus on my 5.5G.

At this rate it'll be Benny and a Couple of rocks lmao,

FOWLR Pico anyone?

As annoying and frustrating as this stage is, I am not going to give in.

I might restart, but not quitting. The Aquascape has been annoying me for a while as well now,

Been thinking about this Cyano Issue that I now have. So reading online it seems that I need to address some different issues.

• Not Enough Air Bubbles - Not really sure whether this is a thing or not, seems to be aimed at Skimmer Users? I don't see any film or scum on the surface. The Water level in the tank keeps a nice rolling flow (cant remember technical term at the minute) and good surface agitation for gas exchange. I'm fairly happy with this, possibility to include a cheap airstone?
  • Over Feeding - Well, since the "Dino" incident I have stopped feeding the tank entirely, my Duncan is less than impressed but hey ho. Last feed was over a week ago
  • Premature Live Rock - Still possible? Perhaps. By my calculations even if i was lied to at the LFS the rock has been maturing for approximately 10-12 weeks in my tank. 
  • Water Changes - A possible issue as I was attempting to battle the "Dinos" so did not water change for a while, back to my weekly 50% change and scrub. 
  • Water Source - I have made the switch to RODI, managed to track a LFS down with a TDS of as close to 0 as I could. (Current count is 2. Something about Resin stage being a waste of money?) and have ordered 4KG of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Reef Salt.   
  • Lighting Schedule - Currently on a 6 hour duration (total with a 1.5-2hours break at midday) I doubt this is the major cause.   
  • Inadequate Flow - Fairly confident that this is one of my main issues, I dont think that my HOB provides enough flow to keep the sandbed clean.  

So I have been rummaging through my Aqua Bits Box at work (have another at home - don't tell the Mrs) and think I can fix at least one other of these issues. 

Flow

So I have been pulling apart pretty much anything and everything that I have spare looking for a fix. Found one of my Betta Internal Sponge Filters. Took off everything so only the pump is present. 200LPH/50GPH and is relatively small as well (1.5" x1.5" x1").

20190613_091928.thumb.jpg.03a2ff39e98dd88c63f05dfd158d832c.jpg

I plan on fitting this at some point (need a shuffle due to power socket points), while I reshuffle I will also remove the tank from the possibility of direct sunlight.   

Things may however be on the turn, starting to see some GHA? Possibly? Please? Please please please?

20190613_084256.thumb.jpg.eae7b103b571b5a73e46b4e12e9f05cf.jpg

Seeing little clumps like this all over the back glass and HOB output tray. So far just pinching them off, but would it be better to leave it in to try and out compete the Cyano?

Zoa's looking better than I have seen since I started Dipping, can just see the beginnings of the Cyano there as well 

20190513_090756.thumb.jpg.c947c9188c174ebf4dfd72b3b2d49d2e.jpg

Duncan is being Duncan, no idea what it is doing. But looks inflated even if clenched up (looks short and fat)

7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I'm very tempted to just leave this alone now and focus on my 5.5G.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Been doing more reading on SPS Corals, seems that a lot of people recommend a mature tank (6 months plus), I do want to try these again at some point.

They are more demanding (water quality and parameter stability) than softies and LPS.  I do recommend that you try another montipora at some point down the road.  If not in this tank, then maybe later, in another tank.

Just thrown my entire PO4 Test Kit across my carpet as I was about to test, so cant do that this morning

I forget which kit this was.  If it was an API phosphate kit, then no loss.  I'm not an API hater, but their phosphate kit is a high range kit that goes up in 0.25 ppm increments.  By the time it registers a color change, phosphate levels are already ten times higher than they should be.

Still looking for a cheap power head for the Pico, or will have to re arrange the rocks so no dead spots.

Flow might help; however, my pico is getting plenty of flow from my 100gph HOB filter.  Cyano is often an organics problem.  There are things which might help, but it's primarily the organics which have to be dealt with.

This is what I'd do.  I'd make a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater (heated to match you tank water).  Then I'd transfer the contents of the tank (except the sand) into the bucket, while you clean your tank.

While we are on the subject, I kind of let it go earlier, because you're from the UK (and I'm not sure what's readily available).  However, the grain size of the sand seems quite small.  I'm not exactly sure how this could be affecting things, but it may have something to do with your problem.  Although it might just be a maintenance issue.

Sorry for the detour.  So now that everything is safe in your bucket, it's time to clean your sand bed.  It's actually easier to clean it in another container (so you don't have to worry about stressing the seams if picking it up).  But either way, you'll want to mix up the sand and then empty the dirty water.  Then add some more water, mix, then empty.  Keep doing this until you are convinced that the sand is clean.  When simply cleaning sand, you can even use tap water.  I like using another container so I can just dump out the dirty water, versus siphoning it out.

Now you have clean sand.  A final rinse with RO/DI or even saltwater isn't necessary, but it isn't a bad idea either (depending on the quality of your tap water).  Sand holds a lot of water, so I like to do a final rinse if using tap water to clean sand.

Take this time to clean your equipment (tank walls, filter, heater, etc).

Now, with clean sand in your clean tank, fill your tank halfway with new heated saltwater.  If you did a good job rinsing, there should be very little clouding.  Then, before returning the rock to your tank, use a turkey baster to blow off any detritus from the bare rock that's in your bucket.

Return everything to your tank and top it off with heated saltwater.  Nassarius snails might help to keep the sand bed clean.  Also, running filter floss and activated carbon in your filter might help keep organics down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Seeing little clumps like this all over the back glass and HOB output tray. So far just pinching them off, but would it be better to leave it in to try and out compete the Cyano?

Hmm...  it's just another unwanted bloom if you ask me.  I'll take hair algae over cyano, but it's nothing you want to cultivate.  Astraea snails do a good job removing it.

Your surviving corals are nice.  No need to pack this tank full just for the contest's sake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@seabass It was a Salifert PO4 Test kit that I have used, four maybe five times. Not too expensive to replace just another thing that I need to replace now. 

That is more or less the plan, except move everything into the 5.5G while I get everything sorted

• Like 3

Well I finally heard back from the shop I ordered the Corals from. They have confirmed that this is in fact Green Pavona.

I have more or less striped down this tank at the moment, I am going to consider my next move over the weekend. 

Definitely Bare Bottom this time around

• Like 3

Not sure how interested you all will be for this, but I work in construction. Primarily in Infrastructure (Roads and Sewers).

So part of my job is to review, analyse and recommend personal gas detectors for confined space entry works (going into the sewers, to fix or change the layout to improve the capacity of the system for new housing developments). So I have a couple of H2S (Hydrogen Sulphide) detectors lying around my desk.

So, I was removing my sand bed, both detectors started alarming. They typically start at 5ppm (dangerous at 50ppm, exposure time allowed is 15PPM for 1 hour)

Both detectors showing a burst of this gas at 35PPM.

Seems I managed to set up a nice area of anaerobic bacteria growth that produced the gas.

Opened all windows and got rid of the rotten egg smell 👍

• Like 1
  • Wow 5

Wow, that's pretty cool.  Many people dismiss the presence of hydrogen sulphide.  It's interesting that you were able to quantify it.

• Like 2