Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

I know the feeling. My LFS keeps updating me with the new "bargain bucket" frags are £2.99 each or 2 for £5.00....

Anyways I joined another forum in an attempt to find some reefers near me. Just use these guys for frag swaps and maybe a 2nd hand set up if I find one at a good price. 

Advice however, not great. I was asking about my nudi issue. I hope they read 2.5 as 25 lol

Screenshot_20190517-180237_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

Good Morning all,

Another beautiful Monday. I have got into work and done my daily maintenance of the tank, count Shrimp, Count Crab (pick Crab out of HOB) pick up Frags, top off water. I decided that since I did not trust my timer to leave the lights off during the weekend. It seems that it was the correct choice as the Cyano Algae that I have been fighting lately has not appeared this morning (YAY)

20190520_090730.thumb.jpg.f83b8ebdf83fd80bcf5177351c03be0f.jpg

20190520_090736.thumb.jpg.0c37a3ec889e4eb61cd9aa02b481e2df.jpg

Sadly I am still dealing with the Nudi's at the moment, spotted this one this morning with lights on, Turkey Basted out the window. 

20190517_084947.thumb.jpg.7d138da252ded158e94e4d21c1bf7f31.jpg

Finally Benny is doing well in QT, still has some pods left from before the weekend but am going to see if i can pick up a pouch of something else to feed him at lunch. 

20190517_080008.thumb.jpg.7ac3766b733bd3066ef2b3b8ca98ec19.jpg

• Like 9

Wow, Benny is a lot quicker than I thought. The way he hovers as well is beautiful

So I bought some BBS as the Mysis was out of stock and I wasn't sure about Bloodworms. I added a small pipette worth (5 or 6) and squirted them out next to him. 

He has been nomming down on these for the last few minutes, I want to try and get him onto flake or pellets at some point but no real idea how to go about it?

Simply a case of offering the pellets until he eats them?

Now looking at an under the desk fridge for Benny's food. 

Not allowed them in the Office Fridge as people are a little "funny2 when it comes to their lunches sitting next to Shrimp

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Wow, Benny is a lot quicker than I thought. The way he hovers as well is beautiful

So I bought some BBS as the Mysis was out of stock and I wasn't sure about Bloodworms. I added a small pipette worth (5 or 6) and squirted them out next to him. 

He has been nomming down on these for the last few minutes, I want to try and get him onto flake or pellets at some point but no real idea how to go about it?

Simply a case of offering the pellets until he eats them?

Now looking at an under the desk fridge for Benny's food. 

Not allowed them in the Office Fridge as people are a little "funny2 when it comes to their lunches sitting next to Shrimp

My family is the same way, they don’t totally agree with me putting my mysis in the freezer...😐

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've heard you can soak and or mix the pellets in with other frozen foods when you feed so the taste is similar and they are associated with them. There are also a few manufacturers who make exceedingly small pellet foods too lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I've heard you can soak and or mix the pellets in with other frozen foods when you feed so the taste is similar and they are associated with them. There are also a few manufacturers who make exceedingly small pellet foods too lol.

Any recommended brands? 

I have the Hikari Crab Cuisine Pellets and would want something similar sized or smaller for pellets.

• Like 1
Punk_Rock_Blenny

Hi, I love your Zoas's. Where did you order from and How have you been finding your first tank? Thought I would stalk this thread since you've been trying to help.

Where did you order your Corals from? I've been going to the LFS near me and you look like you are in the same area? 

Have you checked out any of these places yet? I want to go and look

Paws for Thoughts - Leeds

Maidenhead Aquatics - Carr Gate

Marine World - Bradford

Hope you dont mind me asking? 

• Thanks 1

@Punk_Rock_Blenny, firstly thank you. 

I have picked up my Zoas from two different places.

Mail Order Corals for the five main plugs seen here, the others i class as Sump/Hitchhiker Zoas. They were closed up in my LFS (Paws for Thought) going for very little £5.00 per rock (roughly fist sized) 

Paws for Thought are good, but they have a limited selection for Nano's that goes with both Fish and Corals. You might want to pre order your livestock as they seem to get limited deliveries and they sell out fairly fast. I use these as they're 5 minute walk from office. 

Carr Gate Garden Centre - In all honesty i am likely to either use this one or order online from now on. Unless i need to pick something up on my lunch. They had a much bigger selection of livestock and a really nice selection of Gobies and other Nano Fish. I didn't see any Corals while I was there, oh no I did but wasn't looking as i picked up Benny from there.

Marine World, I really want to visit. I keep saying to myself that i'll go this weekend but never do. Probably for the best as I dont get paid for another couple of weeks.

If you get to go to Marine World, let me know your thoughts and if it is worth a visit?

My First Tank? It is a lot more work than I expected it to be in all honesty. I thought it would be like my FW tanks and I could just look at it and change water once a month etc. It's really not, I have had to read so much for so many different reasons and issues. Thankfully i seem to have come out on top in the Cyano issue but still have problems with Hitch Hikers, especially the Zoa eating Nudi Branches, also possibly a Zoa Spider but I am not able to ID due to small size and me not being able to catch the bugger.  

• Like 2

Wish I could remember all the brands lol, but I just can't seem to call any to mind except for TDO which they use for baby clowns, expensive and bulky on that front though, there was one brand which had tiny little foil packets and a blue label, but the names not coming to me. New Life spectrum makes .5 mm pellets, PE pellets were what I was thinking of originally they makes some that are .5 or below as well IIRC. Oiy, no sleep, no brain function in the morning I swear.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Amphrites said:

there was one brand which had tiny little foil packets and a blue label, but the names not coming to me. .

That sounds a lot like Hikari, I'm popping to my LFS at lunch to see if they have any in. I've used several of their other feeds previously. Currently Benny is picking stuff of the rocks and gets a pipette full of BBS twice a day, Not really sure what I am doing with feeding so have taken the little and often approach. 

It has now been 2 days since i saw Cyano in this tank 👍

.....and about 30 seconds before spotting another Nudi

11 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Omg, benny is so cute.

Yeah he really is. Very happy on that tiny little rock looking out at the world. 

My LFS called tonight to let me know that they have some more coming in tomorrow........ so hard not to reserve another one lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning All

Everything looking nice this morning, nothing to report really. Going to attempt o feed Benny with a Pellet later on. I plan on soaking this in the pipette along with some BBS. See how he takes to that. Not seen any Nudi's this morning which makes a nice change.

In other news I have been trying to ID my Sump Zoas, are these Magicians?

Regardless I can make another two or three of these plugs. I plan on growing them out as much as possible and then look at trading them with either other Reefers or for Credit at my LFS.

20190522_094817.thumb.jpg.40e88e4a0d4872f9279f09c00ba12625.jpg

Also one of my Bristle Worms out and about this morning

Also Benny seems to be a little more adventurous 

• Like 6
Punk_Rock_Blenny

Those Zoa's look amazing, I don't know the name of them but it could certainly be Magicians with that speckled centre...

WOAH that worm, is that reef safe?

Really cute little fish, have you managed to get it eating pellets yet?

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Punk_Rock_Blenny said:

Those Zoa's look amazing, I don't know the name of them but it could certainly be Magicians with that speckled centre...

WOAH that worm, is that reef safe?

Really cute little fish, have you managed to get it eating pellets yet?

Thanks, I think it's Reef safe. 100% not poke safe. 

Benny is not yet eating Pellets, I soaked one and added it with the BBS. Immediately ignored it and went after the BBS.

First attempt at feeding non line foods so not shocked he didn't take it

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
5 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Thanks, I think it's Reef safe. 100% not poke safe. 

Benny is not yet eating Pellets, I soaked one and added it with the BBS. Immediately ignored it and went after the BBS.

First attempt at feeding non line foods so not shocked he didn't take it

Try to get the smallest pellet you can find. I use NLS 1mm for my clown gobies and TSB. I remember when I first brought my GCG back home, he was only 0.5" long and extremely small, so I had a hard time getting him to accept anything non-live because it simply wouldn't fit in his mouth. Now he's around 2" and can even take a M-sized Hikari seaweed pellet. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Try to get the smallest pellet you can find. I use NLS 1mm for my clown gobies and TSB. I remember when I first brought my GCG back home, he was only 0.5" long and extremely small, so I had a hard time getting him to accept anything non-live because it simply wouldn't fit in his mouth. Now he's around 2" and can even take a M-sized Hikari seaweed pellet. 

Thanks I have a selection of Hikari pellets and mini sticks. I cut these down with a razor blade until they're less than 0.5mm. Might try grinding and soaking these, see if he takes that "soup"

I'll be going to the market later so will be picking up some cheap live seafood and shellfish. So will make my own frozen and see if he takes that

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Thanks I have a selection of Hikari pellets and mini sticks. I cut these down with a razor blade until they're less than 0.5mm. Might try grinding and soaking these, see if he takes that "soup"

I'll be going to the market later so will be picking up some cheap live seafood and shellfish. So will make my own frozen and see if he takes that

Hit the Asian markets and see if you can get fish or crab roe (crab is better, because it's smaller). I had better success using that as a start for very small fish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Hit the Asian markets and see if you can get fish or crab roe (crab is better, because it's smaller). I had better success using that as a start for very small fish.

I will keep an eye out for the Roe, didn't think of trying eggs. I have an Asian Wholesalers nearby, but can only get Nori there (2.5KG LMAO) 

However Leeds Market has a dedicated Fishmongers area, something like 50 stalls, essentially another dozen rows like the shot below

Took a quick tour at lunch today and think i should be okay with some of this in a blender

187968_86c61f26.jpg.a6ad308b1b3d10403914b296157fa7de.jpg

leedsmktfish_0413_9.jpg.f39698a660184d5055af25ee1e3f6539.jpg

IMG_0528-fish-web.thumb.jpg.5042d7a32fc561d02fd8c8fa25aaf0f3.jpg

C_syqj9XYAA5MYr.thumb.jpg.94ff8f648c55c726fdc836af9ba4694a.jpg

So both myself and Benny should have some nice fish to eat shortly....

Might see if i can get some of those empty shells as well lol

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 1
Punk_Rock_Blenny
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

I will keep an eye out for the Roe, didn't think of trying eggs. I have an Asian Wholesalers nearby, but can only get Nori there (2.5KG LMAO) 

However Leeds Market has a dedicated Fishmongers area, something like 50 stalls, essentially another dozen rows like the shot below

Took a quick tour at lunch today and think i should be okay with some of this in a blender

187968_86c61f26.jpg.a6ad308b1b3d10403914b296157fa7de.jpg

leedsmktfish_0413_9.jpg.f39698a660184d5055af25ee1e3f6539.jpg

IMG_0528-fish-web.thumb.jpg.5042d7a32fc561d02fd8c8fa25aaf0f3.jpg

C_syqj9XYAA5MYr.thumb.jpg.94ff8f648c55c726fdc836af9ba4694a.jpg

So both myself and Benny should have some nice fish to eat shortly....

Might see if i can get some of those empty shells as well lol

Wow, what a selection. I wouldn't know what to do with half of that 

Never actually been into Leeds Market but lived here all my life, that might have to change. Where is the Asian wholesalers that you mention?

• Haha 1