Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

36 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

bacterial-bloom

That was my thought too.

Seems like you have a lot of biological processes going on, and things haven't settled in quite yet (making blooms of all sorts possible).

Then again, could just be cloudiness from the water change.  You should know if it settles (or is filtered) out, or if it continues for a couple of days.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Could be a mocha or even a proper block occy, will be fun to watch it age!

I have no idea what either of those means, that a type of clown colouration? Is it possible she can turn from a plain tank bred Orange and White so something else? That is amazing

2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I have no idea what either of those means

It could be a black and white ocellaris clownfish (juveniles start out looking more orange than black, and darken with age).  Moca clowns are not all black, they tend to be be much darker than regular ocellaris clownfish but retain more orange than black and white clowns.  I'm hoping it's a moca, as I think they look stunning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

It could be a black and white ocellaris clownfish (juveniles start out looking more orange than black, and darken with age).  Moca clowns are not all black, they tend to be be much darker than regular ocellaris clownfish but retain more orange than black and white clowns.  I'm hoping it's a moca, as I think they look stunning.

Wow, this is so cool. I'm going to be looking at Clown Morphs for the rest of the day now

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
20 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I vacuumed everything out of the tank with a near 100% water change after blowing detritus off the rocks and glass. It's a barebottom system 

I’ve had that happen after a big water change and sand siphon- pretty sure it was bacteria in that case. Sucks it’s opaque!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Well. It was certainly interesting to watch. Also Hantu looking more and more "Raven haired"

Really liking this new colour

20190930_162509.jpg

20190930_162512.jpg

What does his name mean? I keep seeing it and thinking he’s named after Hantavirus

2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Wow, this is so cool. I'm going to be looking at Clown Morphs for the rest of the day now

Oh don’t- going down that rabbit hole is bad for the wallet!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

What does his name mean? I keep seeing it and thinking he’s named after Hantavirus

Oh don’t- going down that rabbit hole is bad for the wallet!

Hantu? It's Malay for Spirit of the Water.  Cos she was bity from the start

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantu_Air

Don't want another clown, just yet at least. Still up in the air about stocking the 34g

• Like 2

Well got to the office later this morning than usual due to a meeting away from my desk. Arrived in and found everything looking pissed off, After a bit of investigation I swapped out the heater (had dropped to 71F), we're now back up to normal temperature and cannot see any lasting damage (I hope)

25 Days little tank, keep limping along

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

I really like the coloration of your clownfish.

I wish I could take credit for that, but yeah she is getting gorgeous. Very lucky with that one, especially since she seems so docile

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I love it... I need to get a goby in mine.

How my Clown hasn't gone for the Gobies yet is beyond me, they steal food from her mouth, push her out of the Barnacle. Generally interrupt her while she's swimming

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Damsels are secretly all pushovers, look how inept it is at eating. My springers can't manage to even find food unless it beams him in the forehead, even then it's like watching a toddler eat spaghetti while it frantically turns, darts, and bounces the pellet all over its' body...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well looks like i made another whoopsie! Obviously i play around and move the corals about, as well as the rocks and barnacles as I seem to have a lot of detritus in the tank at any one time so i use a turkey baster to remove this as much as i can at the end of each day. Last night I forgot to move the Trumpet Frag back away from the Torch and......

20191004_085029.thumb.jpg.382ca83e4c476805482ad5ff22dd82a9.jpg

Oh I have a mushroom on that rock! Cool

• Sad 3
  • Wow 3
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

I love the goby photobombs

Thanks, currently deciding if i want to add them to the larger system and pretend they're not in there so I can still claim it as a Biotope. They live maximum of a year maybe two at a push and I have no idea how old they are 🤷‍♂️ might as well

They are cute and I know that a reefer near me has taken quite the interest in the pair as well as some of my corals (GSP, Xenia) so a swap maybe in the cards, he isn't interested in the Zoa's however 😞  

• Like 3

The lifespan of smaller-gobies is tragic, that said there are aquariums in hawaii which have reported clown-gobies living 20 years or longer, seems to be a give-and-take with these types of animals as they're usually very-quickly-eaten or otherwise meet an early-end in the wild (stress, injury, starvation, etc.). I can't seem to find the damn journal referencing the aquarium in-particular which had such an old goby, now that I want to share it of course.

• Like 5
On 10/4/2019 at 3:22 PM, Amphrites said:

The lifespan of smaller-gobies is tragic, that said there are aquariums in hawaii which have reported clown-gobies living 20 years or longer, seems to be a give-and-take with these types of animals as they're usually very-quickly-eaten or otherwise meet an early-end in the wild (stress, injury, starvation, etc.). I can't seem to find the damn journal referencing the aquarium in-particular which had such an old goby, now that I want to share it of course.

Would love to read that if you manage to find it. 

I have been thinking about this tank and the livestock within it and think that i may have found a solution, it will be an upgrade of sorts (I hate HOB filters) so thinking about transferring to the Fluval Spec 3, taking this home and working on the Mrs for a larger system again. 

I can water change from my larger work system, I also live close enough to a spotless water setup that I don't require a RODI unit at home, 

This will also help out my Biotope set up as I can then get rid of some of the corals that I am no longer keen on (Xenia, Zoas, GSP), also considering transferring the brain into a different system as to be honest i am not a fan of the colours, I love the coral but it is dull.  

• Like 1

Personally I would give the brain a chance to settle down in your system, and give it some time. I started of with a $1,5 mystery brown lps that honestly looked like a turd with some possible purple streaks. Five months later its green and blue and gold, with a distinct purple mouth.

All I'm saying is that you never know...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, Tempestas said:

Personally I would give the brain a chance to settle down in your system, and give it some time. I started of with a $1,5 mystery brown lps that honestly looked like a turd with some possible purple streaks. Five months later its green and blue and gold, with a distinct purple mouth.

All I'm saying is that you never know...

My thoughts were that since I bought this, essentially as a rescue coral I shouldn't really have exposed my other corals to any potential infection. However, that boat has sailed. 

I think honestly that it would probably do a lot better in a smaller tank where it is the "centrepiece", also would allow me to utilise the correct parameters to try and get it to grow back and more beautiful.