Pod Your Reef

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

15 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Your cycle being complete

Lmao I read it so different. Sounded ominous to me.

8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks awesome, Ratvan! If I had access to that many macro types, I'd gotten a little bit of each and run an exclusive macro-only tank lol. 

It had crossed my mind. I will think on it over the weekend. I could put the Xenia in the Spec3 I picked up today and train it up the backwall....

57 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Maybe it'll be fine. You do have a different color hermit than I did. 🤞

There's definitely a learning curve to the hobby. Everyone makes mistakes along the way!!

If not it's not really a worry, I want to have a go at propagation anyway so I'll see if theres any scraps.

So what would happen to my cycle if I took out the LR, took a hammer to it and put it back in the tank? Would it restart (depends on what's in filter floss)

I was thinking of changing it up now i know i want the other macros to attach to LR.

How about if i added more LR would that start it's own cycle?

1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

How about if i added more LR would that start it's own cycle?

It certainly could.  It's best to cure any additional live rock in a separate container.  Once it's fully cured, then you could add it to your tank with livestock.

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, seabass said:

It certainly could.  It's best to cure any additional live rock in a separate container.  Once it's fully cured, then you could add it to your tank with livestock.

Well looks like I'll be cleaning out and stripping down the Spec then

• Like 1

Well, Miss Penny Pincher last the weekend. Here was my morning greeting

Still need to get some more LR this week, the Codium, Ochtodes and Gracilaria still need to attach to something, still debating over the separate Xenia tank as well

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Macros and inverts? I'm so in 😄

You've got a really great start! Especially for your first SW. I'll be following along 🙂

Thank you so much, I have been stalking you're threads for information and inspiration for a little while now 

I feel better now the 1st weekend has passed, I spent the whole thing worrying about whether i should have dropped in an Algae Wafer etc etc 

My aim for the contest is to keep M.P.P. happy and alive 

• Like 1

Lunchtime update, went to my LFS. Picked up some LR Rubble and have glued the Macro's to this and repalced back into the tank.

Not great but it is a start and I don't have to watch those three tumble weeding about the tank.

In other news I am a light system away from starting up the Fluval Spec 3 as a backup tank, Currently it is set Cycling with live rock, Carbon and Chemi Pure. Will set up another thread for this one 

20190408_130535.jpg

I am thinking at the minute that I want the two Caulerpa's on either side to thicken up into a "Forrest" and I plant to use the Gracilaria and Blue Ochtodes as spot colour/relief colour

• Like 5
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Looks good.  Have you decided what you will use to supplement nutrients?

Supplements I had not even considered to be honest.

It will most likely be managed by Water Change only. I am not planning to add too much more to the tank apart from more Algae and maybe expand my CUC slightly if i ever find somewhere close that sells Tiny Marine Inverts...

The algae will strip out nitrate and phosphate.  This will affect the health of the "plants".  Do you have access to Guillard's F/2 fertilizer?  Otherwise, you might need to find a clean source of nitrogen and phosphorus (and maybe some trace elements such as Kent's Essential Elements).

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

The algae will strip out nitrate and phosphate.  This will affect the health of the "plants".  Do you have access to Guillard's F/2 fertilizer?  Otherwise, you might need to find a clean source of nitrogen and phosphorus (and maybe some trace elements such as Kent's Essential Elements).

Thank you for the information, i will keep an eye on it. I personally feel that until the Macro sets to a larger size the weekly water changes should give them the nutrients that they need. I have tested the water and the pre mixed salt water from my LFS is around 1PPM for Phosphates. So will look at adding Nitrates

But as I say I will look around for fertilisers as you recommend

1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

I have tested the water and the pre mixed salt water from my LFS is around 1PPM for Phosphates.

Wow!  Phosphate is usually 0 ppm.  However, that might be good news for you.  Yes, water changes can usually supply enough trace elements.

3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

So will look at adding Nitrates

Test the LFS water for nitrate too.  If it's loaded with phosphate, it might be high in nitrate too.  Otherwise, nitrate is easier to dose than phosphate, so you might be in good shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, asting said:

Could you just "feed the snails" so to speak to add nutrients?

+1 if you can't find any fertilizer, frozen foods (don't rinse) will contribute nutrients (nitrate, phosphate). Just don't add a bunch at a time, or you might get an ammonia spike.

Otherwise, Seabass gave some good suggestions.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Lunchtime update, went to my LFS. Picked up some LR Rubble and have glued the Macro's to this and repalced back into the tank.

Not great but it is a start and I don't have to watch those three tumble weeding about the tank.

In other news I am a light system away from starting up the Fluval Spec 3 as a backup tank, Currently it is set Cycling with live rock, Carbon and Chemi Pure. Will set up another thread for this one 

20190408_130535.jpg

I am thinking at the minute that I want the two Caulerpa's on either side to thicken up into a "Forrest" and I plant to use the Gracilaria and Blue Ochtodes as spot colour/relief colour

awesome macs, great job with set up!

• Thanks 1

Cool macros! I loke the element they bring to a tank, though never used any myself. Love the idea of "planted" marine tanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Cool macros! I loke the element they bring to a tank, though never used any myself. Love the idea of "planted" marine tanks

Thank you. I tried to find the closest thing to brackish or fresh that I could that wasnt Mangrove.

I dont know if I found it but I'm sure I'll learn a lot. Plus set up a 2nd SW tank to save the water sitting too long (money saving honest!) and to house the Xenias and possibly other softies that look appealing to me right now. 

But I am out of budget for the month so sitting and watching (and waiting for 2nd light to arrive)

Probably for the best

• Like 1
Lostandfound

Dumb question only because I know not. Would you need a layer of marine soil or something under the sand to support the macro breeds? I love the idea you have going on. Reminds me of a ride pool. Following 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Lostandfound said:

Dumb question only because I know not. Would you need a layer of marine soil or something under the sand to support the macro breeds? I love the idea you have going on. Reminds me of a ride pool. Following 

You can use miracle mud as first layer, then sand. It can prob get real messy if your not careful with it.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/mineral-mud-refugium-media-1-gallon-miracle-mud-caribsea/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5O2O4NjB4QIVjFmGCh3CLAiOEAQYAiABEgLpNfD_BwE

• Thanks 1
Lostandfound
Just now, 748S911 said:

You can use miracle mud as first layer, then sand. I can prob get real messy if your not careful with it.

Thanks! This thread has got me thinking.

Best of luck!

How deep does the Miracle Mud need to be?  If it doesn't need to be very deep you could add it to a shot glass and bury the shot glass in the sand.  Easy peasy.  

21 minutes ago, Wingy said:

How deep does the Miracle Mud need to be?  If it doesn't need to be very deep you could add it to a shot glass and bury the shot glass in the sand.  Easy peasy.  

Thats a cool idea, I also have these small little boxes, that im using for mini frag station I can throw some in there.  I just don't want a muddy display lol.

• Like 1