Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

I like the macro.  I'm guessing the coral was damaged during shipping.  I often see these shipped by mounting the frag plug in Styrofoam and floated upside down in the bag (so they aren't banged around or squished by the bag during shipping).  Maybe they need to adjust their method.

If I had a coral saw, I might want to frag off the damaged area.  For some reason, corals seem to do better with clean cuts than crushed tissue.  However, I like your plan of an iodine dip.  Also, Snow_Phoenix's suggesting of gently blowing off the slime before dipping it.  Good luck!

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

I like the macro.  I'm guessing the coral was damaged during shipping.  I often see these shipped by mounting the frag plug in Styrofoam and floated upside down in the bag (so they aren't banged around or squished by the bag during shipping).  Maybe they need to adjust their method.

If I had a coral saw, I might want to frag off the damaged area.  For some reason, corals seem to do better with clean cuts than crushed tissue.  However, I like your plan of an iodine dip.  Also, Snow_Phoenix's suggesting of gently blowing off the slime before dipping it.  Good luck!

Was loose in a pot with no styrofoam (you mean so the frag "floats" upside down in the shipping water yes?) The package looked like it had been delivered by Ace Ventura.

• Haha 4
20 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

The package looked like it had been delivered by Ace Ventura.

Image result for ace ventura package gif

22 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

you mean so the frag "floats" upside down in the shipping water yes?

Exactly.

• Like 2

@Snow_Phoenix thank you I removed as much goop as I could with pipette and tweezers and left in an iodine bath. The area doesn't look as bad but still....

I have been refunded for the coral and postage from the shop. Royal mail are also processing a refund so I'm better off?

20190814_110351.jpg

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 8/8/2019 at 10:20 AM, Amphrites said:

Blastos are easy, beautiful, and have itty-bitty tentacles they keep to themselves. So do most proper "brain corals" (goniastrea, platygyra, favia, etc.), though the bigger ones can eat your snails, the nasty lps are acans (mostly echinatas), galaxia, chalices (ecinophyllia and mycideum mostly, pectinia tend to be pretty tame), and elegence. Most hammers and frogspawns get a bad rep but rarely actually produce sweepers and are super easy to keep around once established. You can always mount chalices up higher in the tank in their own spot to keep them from fighting. (Watch them for bleaching, keep them at a far end downstream from other corals and feed them often so they adapt to higher light and ime you're fine)

Fox/bubble corals are very pretty and not really aggressive either, fair bit of movement but a different kind. (Bubbles aren't *super* easy either and foxes have a reputation for sudden colony collapse iirc).

Fungia don't usually use their sweepers but will roam all over the bottom of your tank lol.

My reading and .02.

If you weren't so far away I'd offer you one of my baliensis euphyllia once it got a new branch, no sweepers and like an ultra-mini hammer...

What’s a baliensis euphyllia?? I never heard of that before?

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Hmmm, that actually sounds really nice. I might look into getting one of those. I have a place in my tank that I need something like that.

• Like 1

Right now I'm on the VA coast, and the animal is a while out from being fragable atm. It's also not large enough for me to be 100% certain that it is a baliensis, owner wasn't sure what it was themselves as they'd been growing an old indo frag of the stuff for more than a decade. That said I haven't been able to find anything else with the same structure. 
Sorry Ratvan XD

You should probably use edits lol, oh and my tank thread has a few okay-ish shots of the animal if you want to judge for yourself. Looks great under heavy blues, but AB+ leaves it looking pretty plain for most of the day.

Edited by Amphrites
Edits
  • Like 2

It's an educational hijack. I will let you off. 😉. Some pages are like me talking to myself anyway so it's good to mix it up

But yeah being stateside would be cool for the community here. The offers of frags I've had. Oh well Fingers crossed 

• Like 2

If it's brown jelly disease it can actually be fairly contagious to other euphyllia and potentially other lps or, in rare cases, sps. Though it can be difficult to tell the difference between brown jelly and rapid tissue necrosis (as they can both cause each other and look similar). The biggest difference, from my understanding, is brown jelly can and will strip corals to the skeleton in a few hours and will often have a different texture which will rapidly return to the coral if basted off, whereas RTN/STN tend to move a bit slower and don't repopulate their brown rot stuff very quickly at all.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

If it's brown jelly disease it can actually be fairly contagious to other euphyllia and potentially other lps or, in rare cases, sps. Though it can be difficult to tell the difference between brown jelly and rapid tissue necrosis (as they can both cause each other and look similar). The biggest difference, from my understanding, is brown jelly can and will strip corals to the skeleton in a few hours and will often have a different texture which will rapidly return to the coral if basted off, whereas RTN/STN tend to move a bit slower and don't repopulate their brown rot stuff very quickly at all.

I'm tempted to think that it is/was damage sustained by shipping. The Duncan seems to be getting better where i have it placed in Lower flow. Also noticed this morning that my Toadstool has developed a hole, I am lead to believe this is a form of natural propagation? 

Who can explain this stuff 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Sorry about the hammer problems 😞

Thanks, going to try and find a local reefer that I can pick a few hardy things out of the tanks rather than continue to shop with LFS and relying on the hardiness of wholesale stocks

Snow_Phoenix
39 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

20190815_102424.thumb.jpg.f8c2aca8dad49a6dceb0bf40627a5c64.jpg

Hopefully this is self propagation and not something more sinister (Crab, Worm, Nudi etc)

I've never seen leathers split like this before. Keep us updated with more pics. Quite interesting. 

• Like 1