Cultivated Reef

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

Morning all, 

So I noticed that my Clownfish is starting to change colours. She was all Orange (except the white and black lines) when I collected her. Now it seems the top of her head down to the dorsal area is turning a dark grey/black colour. I'm not worried about her as she is eating and swimming.

4.thumb.jpg.d5899a0ed26d09b8025e67a7a79bee90.jpg

All three fish now share the same Barnacle, not even the same cluster, nope the same barnacle 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1
7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Morning all, 

So I noticed that my Clownfish is starting to change colours. She was all Orange (except the white and black lines) when I collected her. Now it seems the top of her head down to the dorsal area is turning a dark grey/black colour. I'm not worried about her as she is eating and swimming.

4.thumb.jpg.d5899a0ed26d09b8025e67a7a79bee90.jpg

All three fish now share the same Barnacle, not even the same cluster, nope the same barnacle 

Omg I’ve never seen a clownfish do that before, that’s awesome!!!

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Which part? Changing colour or introducing social housing on the reef

I'm definitely thinking the barnacle-buddy situation lol. Clownfish often change colors as they mature, which can actually disappoint some folks with designer varieties lol...

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Chillin inside the barnacle like that

I've spotted her rubbing against it and nibbling the edges so I'm assuming she has hosted this barnacle along with the gobies. Of all the places in the tank that one is the tightest fit

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I've spotted her rubbing against it and nibbling the edges so I'm assuming she has hosted this barnacle along with the gobies. Of all the places in the tank that one is the tightest fit

They probably saw that f*cking spider wondering around and it scared the shit out of them! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So amazon has been driving me insane offering me stuff that I want, cheap when I have no money. Anyway was paid yesterday and decided to try a little something different on the Pico. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07SJZCC94?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

I am working on a home reef still, either a 15, 5 or 2.6 to start 🤔. The 5 currently has my succulents inside incase we get a bad snowfall. Want some to survive when they wont in the sink. 

Then I have my Betta tanks (15 & 2.6) the smaller houses Ouro (9 years old) and the larger Cobalt (8 years old) so have mixed feeling about when it comes to a home reef out of these tanks. 

So I ordered 2x Par38 bulbs to be able to fully illuminate the 15G. 24x12x12 inches. 😍 I have a couple of engineers lamps around somewhere that the bulbs should fit. I already de rimmed and replaced the tank so can go rimless. (Practise run for RSM tank)

20190928_121252.jpg

20190928_121058.jpg

• Like 5

Be careful with that bulb - it's pretty powerful - I put one over the 10G recently (left side, white light) - I've had to move corals to safety and reduce photo period to prevent excess oxygen (from algae) production; I plan to move the 15W that's over my 2.5G to the Luxbird's position and save that bulb for something else. If you put it over the pico - start it out at like 14 - 18" between bulb and tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Holy smokes the waters surface looks like an oil slick!  You must feed a lot to get algae and surface proteins at that level!  

That's just the thing, unattended over the weekend. I topped the water level up so that the water spills into the surface skimmer of the HOB and was gone in seconds. 

1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

Holy smokes the waters surface looks like an oil slick!  You must feed a lot to get algae and surface proteins at that level!  

Nah, algae blooms and all kinds of uglies can form an intense slick, it doesn't have to be waste from food - especially in smaller tanks where it is more noticeable.

41 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Nah, algae blooms and all kinds of uglies can form an intense slick, it doesn't have to be waste from food - especially in smaller tanks where it is more noticeable.

Could that lead to this about an hour after a WC?

20190930_144649.jpg

20190930_144645.jpg

• Wow 1
5 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

That either looks like funk kicked up or a bacterial-bloom, but I'm not sure.

I vacuumed everything out of the tank with a near 100% water change after blowing detritus off the rocks and glass. It's a barebottom system 

Just now, Amphrites said:

I mean it looks like it could just be cloudyness from live-ruck dust and other debris which hasn't settled out yet, but I'm not really sure, sorry.

I'll admit it does look like i dumped a bag of sand in the tank just now. I haven't (on this system anyway) 

• Like 1