Cultivated Reef

Ratvan's Old School Pico - Rockwall Pico v2

Ratvan

For some reason, I'm thinking that eggs are not susceptible to most dips.  Can anybody confirm this?

In any case, you will have to be on watch for more.  It can be extremely hard, as the nudibranch's cerata are often the same color as the zoas they are eating, and look similar to the zoanthid's tentacles.

Feeling lazy today (not looking it up); is Flatworm eXit used as a treatment for nudis?  It's been so long that I've battled them, that I've simply forgot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, seabass said:

For some reason, I'm thinking that eggs are not susceptible to most dips.  Can anybody confirm this?

In any case, you will have to be on watch for more.  It can be extremely hard, as the nudibranch's cerata are often the same color as the zoas they are eating, and look similar to the zoanthid's tentacles.

Feeling lazy today (not looking it up); is Flatworm eXit used as a treatment for nudis?  It's been so long that I've battled them, that I've simply forgot.

Yeah I had read that eggs are not affected by the dip, so I will add the coral dipping to my WC Schedule for a few weeks until I am sure that they're gone...

I only spotted the other one as the Polyps on top were curling over slightly. My camera picked it out better than my eyes.

I had seen Flatworm Exit used online but the LFS was out of stock, also popped into the chemists to pick up some Clove Oil (Just in case) and 3% & 9% H2O2

• Like 1

I've heard of peroxide as potential algae treatment, but supposedly it can be rough on zoa's and softies alongside some mollusks. Most seemed to settle on dipping problem rocks rather than treating tanks, at least from what I read over. Can't speak for its' effectiveness against nudibranchs, and if I recall correctly nothing really kills them that won't kill your coral too, some dips will stun them but you have to manually-remove them and the eggs. Once again, just stuff I've read lol, thankfully haven't encountered anything but colonial hydras and a few tiny aptasia easily killed with hot-water and vinegar, myself.

• Like 1

It was more of a general topping up of supplies rather than actual targeting this issue. Much like the Clove oil. I've more or less ran out and wanted some so I could dip my fake plants from my FW QT after I'm done.  Small batch of FW rescues coming my way tomorrow hence topping up now. 

Also decided the Spec 3 is coming down and the 5g is going to be the QT. It has a closed lid and I'm expecting more work in my office. 

• Like 3

Morning all, 

So arrived this morning to work and checked out my tank, I didn't feed yesterday and reduced my lights down to 8 hours last night due to a large (for this size tank) bloom of Cyano algae covering most of the sand bed. This morning is a lot better with only a small spattering here and there. I will feed my Duncan only Thursday and water Change on Friday and again on Monday/Tuesday with a Zoa Dip to try and get rid of those Nudi's. I seem to get a film of algae in the same place daily as well, might see if i can pick up a small Cerith snail.

Everything looks a little better as well now, my MOC Cool Citrine (Blue, Red, Yellow), is looking a lot better and more colourful already then I have seen it so far in my tank, the centre is a lot more orange in real life. But I have a disciplinary first thing and can't really play with colours. 

20190515_090511.thumb.jpg.1bfe2ec48b2aa9f4eaf9b43bf152f863.jpg

In other News, my Xenia is expanding rapidly. I placed the Frags on a small mound of rubble and I already have 8 Heads from an original number of 3. I can see how this can easily take over if not trimmed back. I do have a plan to rid myself of a large amount of Polyps if that occurs. 

20190515_090514.thumb.jpg.c32bbb0ffd5b075138f43fb6de849b68.jpg

Now I know that I shouldn't have favourites but.... i love my Duncan. I am very happy that so much detail is now starting to appear on the head that I have. Also seems that Miss Penny Pincher and the Sexies have instead decided that the Xenia is the place to be and have left this alone for the time being

20190515_091627.thumb.jpg.922c4ba523747fa1c2dd2f91e8d3446e.jpg

So as I mentioned previously I have been shopping around for some other Corals to include in my tank and I think I am going to be going with Favia and try to encourage growth around the pillar of rock, I will look at picking up one or two of these frags. The Electric Vein and Dragon Soul have caught my eye

Favia.jpg.6857f12e47c233d0dde8940b477e21bc.jpg

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I love how the tanks looking so far, great job😁👍.

Thank you. I'm having a lot of fun with this build. 

The 5G is set up under my desk (away from construction - which admittedly I forgot I signed off - haha), basic 50W heater, internal sponge filter, couple of live rocks. I'll start it off now so when I look to pick up my fish (early June) I have somewhere where I can keep him where i feel relatively confident about water quality. My only concern with this is that my QT is larger than my DT!! Worse case scenario I can move everything over to the 5G once the contest is finished. 

Here are the three that I am considering;

yellow-goby.jpg.e8b730ca06e7f9b2612f88adfe984e69.jpghi-fin-yellow-nose.jpg.a67a96a075613cbc107c8cf6187b55b6.jpggreen-goby.jpg.c1559d7151f0b64cbc122835ed797cd8.jpg

Obviously only one of the three

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Thank you. I'm having a lot of fun with this build. 

The 5G is set up under my desk (away from construction - which admittedly I forgot I signed off - haha), basic 50W heater, internal sponge filter, couple of live rocks. I'll start it off now so when I look to pick up my fish (early June) I have somewhere where I can keep him where i feel relatively confident about water quality. My only concern with this is that my QT is larger than my DT!! Worse case scenario I can move everything over to the 5G once the contest is finished. 

Here are the three that I am considering;

yellow-goby.jpg.e8b730ca06e7f9b2612f88adfe984e69.jpghi-fin-yellow-nose.jpg.a67a96a075613cbc107c8cf6187b55b6.jpggreen-goby.jpg.c1559d7151f0b64cbc122835ed797cd8.jpg

Obviously only one of the three

You could get a pair of the clown gobies. I’ve always wanted to get a pair of green clown gobies, they look so awesome. But that may be much for a 5 gallon 

Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

You could get a pair of the clown gobies. I’ve always wanted to get a pair of green clown gobies, they look so awesome. But that may be much for a 5 gallon 

Most likely a pair would be too much, especially in a 2.5G lol

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Most likely a pair would be too much, especially in a 2.5G lol

Ohhh, I thought this was a 5 gallon. You could maybe do one, they are neat little things. They like to perch on branching coral from what I’ve heard

Snow_Phoenix

Heck yes to the GCG. I have one little guy and he's so much fun to watch. I have two other YCGs as well, but they're all in a much, much larger tank (60G) so there are no territorial squabbles so far. They even take turns on perching on the same leather coral. 

• Like 3

Another couple of questions. Sorry.

I want to try and sculpt some decor incorporating the spare plugs that I have around and to work towards my eventual goal/theme. I want to put some detail into it so would need to be malleable for 20-30 minutes. I initially thought of milliput but is that ok?

Also how reef safe are acrylic paints?

• Like 1

Morning, so it seems that I have most likely found the cause of my Cyano issue.

I had been using a cheap plug in timer to run my lights as I am not with this tank 24/7, last night before leaving I decided to shorten the hours that my lights operate from 8 hours down to roughly 6. So when I arrived this morning to see my lights on I more or less knew the issue, so I have chucked the timer and will order a more robust version. Lights have been running 24hours a day.......

20190516_082228.thumb.jpg.7ea7ee27a3443639e8efd363a098f4ad.jpg

20190516_082232.thumb.jpg.3cf3735010bb0daf141286b302232766.jpg

I also worked out my budget for the remainder of the month

20190515_142047.thumb.jpg.454af6184a10752fc6aab34a5c118850.jpg

Popping into LFS at Lunch to see what I can pick up for this lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
10 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I initially thought of milliput but is that ok?

Not sure of the brand, but most epoxy is safe when cured.  You might be able to find some aquarium epoxy if you are unsure.

10 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Also how reef safe are acrylic paints?

Again, I would guess they are fine once fully cured.  Although, a clear epoxy resin over it wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you again for your help. Loving the educational nature of this forum. So much knowledge available. 

So today i did a thing, as I was leaving one of my sites after an Audit (I love messing with people) I spotted a sign for Maidenhead Aquatics, a new one for me as I did not know that this was here. And my Word, I think i have found my new LFS. Such a great selection of Marine Livestock, well fish at least. The Corals left a lot to be desired. So I picked up some Aquacare Coral Dip for my Zoas and then I saw a Firecracker Goby. They also sell RODI premixed at less than half the price of my current LFS. 

It is now in my 5G quarantine getting up to temperature. I also picked up a bag of pods to add to the QT and Pico to try and encourage some growth for my new fishie. 

30 Days countdown begins now

20190516_114429.jpg

20190516_114149.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

So before I left work I dropped in half a bag of pods to both the Pico and my QT. Left my little Goby hunting down the pods. Really cute, perched on the rocks and then pounces.

I currently have Live Rock and a fake sand bed in the QT. Made this years ago with 2 part epoxy and sand. Was sealed over with clear epoxy coat. 

Now I need to figure out a name......

Also just noticed all my livestock are red... I have an accidental theme!

20190516_123046.jpg

• Like 5

Morning, the Cyano continues to recede.

I didn't water change or attempt to remove it at all yesterday. I continued on with my reduced light hours and no feeding

20190517_080105.thumb.jpg.9163285e342b4e15fb46ec80867a1258.jpg

Waiting for the Duncan to open so I can feed it before water change and coral dip at lunch time, the reason being ANOTHER NUDI SPOTTED

20190517_075852.thumb.jpg.0218123a39bc58775c97e195f56192af.jpg

Grey patch getting larger

20190516_091523.thumb.jpg.bb0b12fad2998c038542eeba83001589.jpg

Finally my still unnamed Firecracker Goby, he is out this morning. Not shy at all.

Leaning towards the name Benny

20190517_080008.thumb.jpg.1668643dfd16d8f89adee98c4429cefc.jpg20190517_075951.thumb.jpg.6dbeee2d12055d7fd570890ba69774de.jpg20190517_080027.thumb.jpg.b7f5f5a518129f5c9c19df8b75d29a5d.jpg

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Super cool fish!  Perfect pico-sized addition.  

Thank you, very pleased with my accidental find. 

12 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Benny is adorable! 

He is indeed, I am partial though I do love Bottom Feeders

7 minutes ago, seabass said:

I like three name Benny.  And if he perches on a powerhead, you'd have Benny and the Jets.

Ha, at this rate my tank occupants list sounds like a music festival

Penny Pincher and the Sexies

Benny and the Jets

I have been showing the Mrs and In Law the photos of Benny, I'm still working on getting a decent sized tank at home as some of the fish that I saw perfect I loved. 

Maybe I can get the Spec 3 set up at home.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Thank you, very pleased with my accidental find. 

He is indeed, I am partial though I do love Bottom Feeders

Ha, at this rate my tank occupants list sounds like a music festival

Penny Pincher and the Sexies

Benny and the Jets

I have been showing the Mrs and In Law the photos of Benny, I'm still working on getting a decent sized tank at home as some of the fish that I saw perfect I loved. 

Maybe I can get the Spec 3 set up at home.....

I feel ya, I just set up some weird little QT system last night, and I am already thinking about a frag tank as well, especially when I wake up to messages saying my LFS is having a 50% off sale of coral frags for the next 4 days...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1