ReefCleaners.org

skyscraper's 2.5G Old School Contest Pico

skyscraper2290

skyscraper2290

After seeing the initial post about doing a 2.5G pico I got really excited and figured it would be a great second tank to have. I plan on keeping this set up longer than the 6 month contest period.  Started getting ideas for what I could do with a smaller volume of water. My goal is to keep this to a smaller budget but really be focused on color selection. I was able to pick up a standard 2.5G tank from a local Petco and have been able to purchase everything needed to get set up using Amazon points and a $50 gift card I had laying around and didn't know what to use it for. 

Tank

• Aqueon Glass 2.5G ($12)

Equipment

• Top Fin 10G HOB filter (already had, probably going to get something larger because it has only .25G water volume and the heater doesn't fit well)
  • Nicrew Submersible Heater ($18.99, Amazon points)
  • Desk Lamp Mount ($21.99, gift card)
  • Mini Smart Plug Outlet (timer for light, $8.99, Amazon points)
  • Acryllic top ($4.99, gift card, cut to size)
  • TBA (can't give away everything yet)
  • ATO (if needed, still need to purchase/DIY)

Light

• ABI 12W Tuna Blue 

Stocking

• 1.5LB of dry rock (will seed with rock ruble from 20G and Red Sea Reef Mature Kit)
  • TBA (can't give away everything yet, but probably no fish)

I plan on revealing the scape once the contest officially starts but feel it will be unique and have some interesting possibilities. I have determined stocking for the most part but could change a little depending how everything works out in the beginning. Here are just a couple of set up shots so far so this won't be a pictureless thread. I'm really looking forward to photographing such a small tank because I will be able to get really close to everything in there. Good luck everyone!

front.thumb.jpg.92685e7c4d45eb3f694a62051f7abc55.jpg

side.thumb.jpg.f189911d0fcf2e31416f07f24c88afa2.jpg

top.thumb.jpg.6d4172cb02b00420b1b494e7ce5d91b6.jpg

• Like 3
skyscraper2290
8 minutes ago, Friendly said:

i love what you’ve done with the tank. that scape is AmAzInG! 

BeST ScApE EvEr!¡!

skyscraper2290

Got my new SW mixing at the moment and will have the tank filled and cycle underway by the end of today, woot woot!

E81D04A6-CDC8-4128-B495-1A073773CCBA.thumb.jpeg.73c86ecaa58d447165ddd889e6c3f620.jpeg

• Like 1
skyscraper2290

Alrighty... filled the tank and put the scape back in and am ready to show it. My goal was to create a ‘floating’ aquascape look. I drilled into the dry rock and then used 1/4” clear acrylic rods to mount the rocks from each other. It was surprisingly hard getting it to work well in such a small space but would be interesting to try in a larger tank. I assume the acrylic will eventually get covered in coraline, 7 months should allow me to see how well it will work long term. 

007F1745-EC28-49BC-8FA4-43A836C768C7.thumb.jpeg.d7a9c5e7abe5a974dd7ece41b0f75481.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Wow 4
skyscraper2290
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

I love it! I planned to have a floating scape as well, but not near as cool and free style as that.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Cool stuff!

Thanks! Hopefully it’s in the unique side.

skyscraper2290
2 hours ago, asting said:

Interesting layout. Looking good so far.

Thanks, it should be fun to fill in with corals! Hopefully I can create what I have in my head for it. 

skyscraper2290

Did some tests today and cycle is well underway. Using media from my 20G and the Red Sea Reef mature kit to get the cycle through decently fast. 

Ammonia - .4

Nitrite - .1 

Nitrate - 10

Alk - 8.4

Salinity - 1.026

I have several corals already purchased for this tank but just have to pick them up. As soon as I get to 0 ammonia and nitrite I’ll be throwing some corals in. Don’t think I’ll do a fish in this tank but will have a couple inverts. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
skyscraper2290

So had a fairly fast cycle and decided to start throwing some frags in. 

WWC Twizzler Zoas

Playboy Bunny Zoa

Blue Lagoon Zoa

Yoda Zoa

Magician Zoas

Purple tip hammer

Blue cloves

Pink monti with yellow polyps (was floating around my big tank)

GSP

The goal is to get a GSP matt on the bottom and some nice colors floating above it. Hopefully it will grow in the way I have envisioned it, luckily we have enough time to see some decent growth in this contest. 

front.thumb.jpg.c0ce1f97b7e07f3f6e8b2e9b70e847b4.jpg

side.thumb.jpg.50f35287535084f4f215f9dcb4bf92f7.jpg

And my 2 tanks next to each other, it's a nice view to have in my office.

tanks.thumb.jpg.1ad34c031bca8230a37972d43dc41b52.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
skyscraper2290
22 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Very cool Scape, cant wait to see how your tank looks after 7months

If only it turns out how I envisioned it haha

17 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

"Meteor shower 2.5". Looking good. And I see some corals! 

Corals are in, I’m sure I’ll add a few more but mostly will just let it grow.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

That is the most interesting scape I have seen,but super cool. I thought about gluing some stax rocks to my back wall a few times.