Jump to content
ninjamyst

Most overpriced reef equipment / gadget?

Recommended Posts

05XRunner

Anything made by ecotech

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

I think a lot is over priced.

 

Media baskets- it's really just a box with holes in it.

 

Magnet algae scrubbers- especially the 2 little fishies and IM mini ones.

 

IM fuge lights and gadgets

 

Paying for light hangers or goosenecks which t least 1 should come with the light since it's useless without either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ninjamyst
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I think a lot is over priced.

 

Media baskets- it's really just a box with holes in it.

 

Magnet algae scrubbers- especially the 2 little fishies and IM mini ones.

 

IM fuge lights and gadgets

 

Paying for light hangers or goosenecks which t least 1 should come with the light since it's useless without either.

agree!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
hotdrop

LED controllers, the LED itself is bad enough but the controller adds 50% more to the cost of an already super expensive light.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Naekuh
On 4/2/2019 at 8:09 PM, hotdrop said:

LED controllers, the LED itself is bad enough but the controller adds 50% more to the cost of an already super expensive light.

actually i dont think they are that overpriced if you look at the hardware inside.

Most controllers will run you 100 dollars, even ecotech. 

 

Some have Wifi, or ethernet connectivity on top. 

They also require some form of microprocessor like a ARM. 

All that adds up. 

If you factor a rasberrypi or even an arduino can cost 35-50 dollars by itself, the modules added + customized lcd screen and case, they are not reaping that big of a profit on the controller then the actual LED itself.  

 

But also some LED's are not overpriced if you look at the LED. 

 

 

I agree on the ecotech comment tho especially radeon vs hydra, when its almost the same thing i think, that is way overpriced, as well as apex.  

But your honestly paying mostly in the software and RnD for the said products.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

Corals...

 

The kind with the name 'indo' 'aussie' 'japanese' ect... some of these things are $100+ and the same coral also sells under a generic name for $10. 

 

They give the same coral a fancier name than mark it up. The 'red acan' is now a Super Nova Fire Bomb Berserker Acan.

 

Taking rose anenome's then giving them a fancy name and sticking them under heavy actinic. 

 

I even saw venders on ebay giving CLAMS fancy names... like we can frag clams and use the name to pass down lineage. 

 

Then there is the people who photoshop or use special filters or lighting... and that yellow hammer or so-and-so coral you saw online ends up a disappointment when it arrives at the door. 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
asting
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Corals...

 

The kind with the name 'indo' 'aussie' 'japanese' ect... some of these things are $100+ and the same coral also sells under a generic name for $10. 

 

They give the same coral a fancier name than mark it up. The 'red acan' is now a Super Nova Fire Bomb Berserker Acan.

 

Taking rose anenome's then giving them a fancy name and sticking them under heavy actinic. 

 

I even saw venders on ebay giving CLAMS fancy names... like we can frag clams and use the name to pass down lineage. 

 

Then there is the people who photoshop or use special filters or lighting... and that yellow hammer or so-and-so coral you saw online ends up a disappointment when it arrives at the door. 

 

 

yep. the cheapo SPS i just got from Aquasd fits that entirely. They are brown sticks, under actinics and normal light. hope they color up, but the whole "make up names" thing is absurd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo

Maybe you are all just broke 😂🤣

 

This hobby is expensive like most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Perthreefer

I paid around $500 for my ATO container, having said that it was made to blend with the sump and the tank in one design, also it had to be custom made due to space limitations in my cabinet. It comes down to aesthetics I guess, if you want equipment to look good you have to pay for it, if it's going to be tucked away in another room and never seen then no reason not to use a bucket!

 

46873563224_d6313da6a1_c.jpg20190413_073634194_iOS by kenpau01, on Flickr

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
TILTON

Apex Trident will be the most overpriced piece of equipment,  but I can’t wait.  😂

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...