Pod Your Reef

May be moving in 2 years, should I start a nano-reef?

Jay_tankfan

Jay_tankfan

Long story short, a little over 2 years ago my ex wife passed away, unfortunately, so I am a single parent. I have one child off at college and my youngest graduates High School in a year and a half (June 2020). Regarding tanks and fish keeping, I have 2 established freshwater planted aquariums, a 30 gallon tall and a 20 gallon short, that I have learned on, and both are healthy and have been going about 7 years. I have a consistent maintenance routine, do water changes every weekend, etc., and I've been wanting to get into saltwater for a while.

My concern is that once my son graduates and goes off to college, I really won't have any reason to stay on the west coast, where my ex wife was originally from, and I am considering relocating back east where I am originally from and where all of my family are etc. So my question is should I even start a nano-reef, knowing I MAY be breaking all of my tanks down, selling things off, etc., in order to move, or hold off almost 2 years until I get to my new location, and then start a reef tank? I would like to use the time between now and then to learn and gain as much experience as possible, but also want to do right by the fish, coral, etc. It would be a real shame to lose livestock and corals just as they start getting established. That's why I like the nano-reef option, small impact and a lot less to lose if/when the time comes. 

Your thoughts? What would you do?     

Do it!

While the ideal situation is that a tank can be set up and just stay put for decades, we all know life happens.

The amount of enjoyment this little piece of ocean would give you over the next two years is timeless and hey, it’s a nano - people have successfully gone through relocation and moves for much bigger tanks, so two years should not be a hard stop.

• Like 1
righttirefire

I helped a buddy move a fish-only tank from montana to oregon. 

The fish didnt make the trip and the tank hasnt been set up since. Over 3 years. While fish/coral stay in transport for a 24 hours+ while shipping. A coast to coast move would take a couple days and with the right planning i believe can be successful.

Personally, id get involved with a local forum or club and buy something used. If you plan on relocating.

Almost 2 years ago I moved 4 miles. I was able to break down my tank and move it and set it right back up. But for a year it suffered from the move and all the time involved in working on the house, about 1 year.

So not to discourage you, becuase i believe its a great hobby, obviously you're already involved in keeping aquariums, but id think long and hard about it and make the best decision for your situation, and the health of your aquariums.

• Like 1

I've heard of people taking their livestock to their LFS for temporary holding and arranging for it to be shipped to their new location once the move is completed, so that might be an option. Depends a lot on where you are located and how awesome your LFS is, though.

What's your plan for your current freshwater tanks when the move hits? 'Cause if you're going to take those with you too, a third won't make too much difference, right? 😉 Especially if it's small!

If you do decide to go through with it, I'd go for a small AIO tank with a simple setup and less equipment though. The smaller it is, the easier it will be to eventually move it.

• Like 1
Jay_tankfan

Yeah my freshwater setups are pretty simple too, HOB filters, rock, wood, easy to replace plants, pretty common fish, shrimp, snails. LFS mailing is a good idea. I'm going to try and find someone locally, maybe through my LFS, who would take them for free too.   

mtgmichaelg

I think it is definitely doable. Buy a nano tank, keep the box it comes in, use live rock to get started quicker and after two years, sell the livestock and ship the tank and equipment! 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

It sounds to me, like no one knows better than how short, and precious life is. Why put off something you want to do, because of a possible (it didn't sound like you have definitively made that decision to me, in your post) move in a couple of years?

Go for it. Learn. See if it's for you. If it is, then you'll have gotten your rookie mistakes out of the way with this tank, and when you finally get to your future home you'll know what you want, and what you don't want out of this hobby. You'll know what equipment you like, and what you don't like. Will you lose some money on it? Probably. I'd counter that, but asking what hobby don't you lose money on? The enjoyment, and knowledge gained from it would offset any cost associated with it, for me. 

I'd strongly encourage you to give it a shot.  

• Thanks 1

Do it.  It’s easy enough to move them.  Especially a NANO.  I use to move my reef every school year.  It was work but everything always made it.  Just think of it as an education.  

• Like 1

2 months?... Maybe wait. But 2 years? There's very few situations where what I do now would be based on what could possibly happen 2 years from now. 

But then again, that could explain my life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Jay_tankfan
15 hours ago, MrObscura said:

2 months?... Maybe wait. But 2 years? There's very few situations where what I do now would be based on what could possibly happen 2 years from now. 

But then again, that could explain my life. 

Haha, good point. I've been in sort of disaster recovery mode the last few years, shoring things up, putting the kids and my life back together, getting them prepped for college, and pretty much just trying to stabilize things again, so introducing this new thing is a big step. My ex was killed in a car accident so, it was very sudden, and I have a bit of anxiety, perhaps even PTSD from it, so now I'm pretty cautious and slow to introduce anything new that may upset the apple cart, know what I mean? Although my kids are great about telling me that I need to start living for me now so, I'm trying, haha. That's sort of why I posted the question to this forum too, as kind of a, "What would normal people do?" Haha. Although I realize too that reef keepers are far from normal, haha   

I'd say start out a small reef tank. Anything can change for any of us at any time.

We never know what will come so enjoy what you can while you can. You can always move a small tank or start up again easily in a new home.

College students do it every year😁

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

College students do it every year😁

I started my first saltwater tank, a simple 10g softy reef, at the beginning of this school year and I'm planning to move with it at the end. That'll happen in a few months coming up. It's been a lot of fun and a good learning experience for me! Do it! 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Jay_tankfan said:

Haha, good point. I've been in sort of disaster recovery mode the last few years, shoring things up, putting the kids and my life back together, getting them prepped for college, and pretty much just trying to stabilize things again, so introducing this new thing is a big step. My ex was killed in a car accident so, it was very sudden, and I have a bit of anxiety, perhaps even PTSD from it, so now I'm pretty cautious and slow to introduce anything new that may upset the apple cart, know what I mean? Although my kids are great about telling me that I need to start living for me now so, I'm trying, haha. That's sort of why I posted the question to this forum too, as kind of a, "What would normal people do?" Haha. Although I realize too that reef keepers are far from normal, haha   

What would normal people do? 

You might not want to listen to me then. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jay_tankfan said:

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing your partner is so very hard and it's very understandable what you have gone through and the battles you will still go through on a daily basis. The reef tank and FW tanks may be a good way to "escape", it can also help with anxiety.

Some of us suffer from medical conditions, some mental health issues, some very high stress occupations and have found this hobby to be very helpful. It can give you "purpose", give you something to keep you busy and focused on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Kangster911

I say do it. Lol. I do not know what will happen in two weeks. Who knows what will happen in two years? Maybe you will meet someone local and will have reasons to stay in west coast. Life is short. Make the most out of it. Do not let something that might happen in two years discourage you from doing something you will enjoy.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jay_tankfan said:

Haha, good point. I've been in sort of disaster recovery mode the last few years, shoring things up, putting the kids and my life back together, getting them prepped for college, and pretty much just trying to stabilize things again, so introducing this new thing is a big step. My ex was killed in a car accident so, it was very sudden, and I have a bit of anxiety, perhaps even PTSD from it, so now I'm pretty cautious and slow to introduce anything new that may upset the apple cart, know what I mean? 

My issues seem extremely trivial compared to yours, but I have to say that having a home reef nevertheless helps me a whole lot to make it through rough days. When I'm having a tough time for whatever reason or I'm feeling stressed out at work, the thought of my aquarium always helps to calm me down and put me at ease. Plus the N-R community is extremely kind and supportive, which makes setting up a tank and getting through whatever problems might arise much easier. Sure, you might have to move your system sooner or later, but in the meantime it will be a source of peace and a conduit for relaxation. I think you should do it!

And look at all of these reefers saying exactly the same thing! 😄 We are eager to welcome you into the fold. 😉 Just be sure you make a journal so we can all follow along!

• Like 1
Kangster911

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing my loved ones in an accident is my biggest fear...I can only fathom what you have been through...

I say just imagine what your loved ones would want you to do. Your kids and youe ex wife would probably want you to be happy and do what you enjoy. Do it because it is probably what she would want you to do.

• Like 1
Jay_tankfan
12 hours ago, billygoat said:

My issues seem extremely trivial compared to yours, but I have to say that having a home reef nevertheless helps me a whole lot to make it through rough days. When I'm having a tough time for whatever reason or I'm feeling stressed out at work, the thought of my aquarium always helps to calm me down and put me at ease. Plus the N-R community is extremely kind and supportive, which makes setting up a tank and getting through whatever problems might arise much easier. Sure, you might have to move your system sooner or later, but in the meantime it will be a source of peace and a conduit for relaxation. I think you should do it!

And look at all of these reefers saying exactly the same thing! 😄 We are eager to welcome you into the fold. 😉 Just be sure you make a journal so we can all follow along!

Thank you, and good idea about the journal!

I vote start one, but keep it simple.  

Maybe start with a stand alone tank (as opposed to an all in one system or false wall type) then use a basic/entry level light and hang on back filter.  You could always use the tank as a quarantine tank or even a sump when you get to your new location in the future.  Get some rock, a few corals and maybe a fish or two.  I vote just sell it all back to LFS when you get ready to move.  That is what I did with one of my salt water tanks and for much of the livestock in my other.  Ended up trading fish in for a few 5 gallon jugs.  Even if you get don't get any money back, think of it as rent!  

You could also sell what you have to someone local--I'm sure they would jump at the chance.  

Simple and low cost would be a good way to start for now, until you learn more and decide what you really want, tank wise.  

My condolences on your loss.  Sounds like you have some great kids though (who want you happy and moving forward) and the chance to reunite with family back east who will welcome you back.  A semi-new hobby sounds like a nice way to mark a new chapter~

Jay_tankfan
11 hours ago, Superdave said:

I vote start one, but keep it simple.  

Maybe start with a stand alone tank (as opposed to an all in one system or false wall type) then use a basic/entry level light and hang on back filter.  You could always use the tank as a quarantine tank or even a sump when you get to your new location in the future.  Get some rock, a few corals and maybe a fish or two.  I vote just sell it all back to LFS when you get ready to move.  That is what I did with one of my salt water tanks and for much of the livestock in my other.  Ended up trading fish in for a few 5 gallon jugs.  Even if you get don't get any money back, think of it as rent!  

You could also sell what you have to someone local--I'm sure they would jump at the chance.  

Simple and low cost would be a good way to start for now, until you learn more and decide what you really want, tank wise.  

My condolences on your loss.  Sounds like you have some great kids though (who want you happy and moving forward) and the chance to reunite with family back east who will welcome you back.  A semi-new hobby sounds like a nice way to mark a new chapter~

Appreicate that, thanks!

I've been thinking about a standard 10 gallon versus an all-in-one as well. Good idea about trading for jugs etc. Yeah I plan to keep it simple, just purchased an rodi unit online which should arrive this week, taking it one step at a time.

32 minutes ago, Jay_tankfan said:

Appreicate that, thanks!

I've been thinking about a standard 10 gallon versus an all-in-one as well. Good idea about trading for jugs etc. Yeah I plan to keep it simple, just purchased an rodi unit online which should arrive this week, taking it one step at a time.

RO unit is great investment.  

The true key to success, in my opinion, is the water change.  1-2 gallons in your case and you will be amazed and how it makes everything go smoothly.  Many people used to push rather hard the necessity of dosing a variety of supplements and the importance of a skimmer, but that is not the party line nearly as much these days.  Most reefers do some dosing, but quite a large number do not make use of a skimmer at all, particularly with smaller tanks like a 10.  

Things get complicated (which to many is the challenging/rewarding/enjoyable part of the hobby..) when you have lots of equipment and so many "tasks" to do each week.  If you have a small bio load and do regular water changes, it does not have to be complex.  

• Like 1