SaltCritters.com

AquaMaxx Prism CC 30 watt LED Fixture - Has anyone tried it yet?

JohnTheReefer

1 hour ago, JohnTheReefer said:

Thinking about getting this one for my 10 gallon. Does anyone have any experience with it or seen it used in a store? 

Link:

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Prism_CC_LED_Light_Fixture_30_Watt_Marine_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ3799-FILTFILD-vi.html

Thanks!

I used the nemolight. It's now on my fw planted tank because I had very slow to no growth after a year. 

Corals looked nice under it though.

Some corals did very well under it like leathers, xenia, 1 birdsnest, acans. My favia never grew, my pocillopora didn't, and my birds of paradise didn't.

It says it has 0.5 watt LEDs. I don't know much about LEDs but I heard through the grapevine that the 0.5 watt LEDs don't penetrate as well. How deep of a tank is it going on?

Nice clean profile though, not a bad looking light

JohnTheReefer
52 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

It says it has 0.5 watt LEDs. I don't know much about LEDs but I heard through the grapevine that the 0.5 watt LEDs don't penetrate as well. How deep of a tank is it going on?

Nice clean profile though, not a bad looking light

I might be getting sold on the looks to be honest haha and the light spread. I did notice the wattage per LED was low as well and for the growth rate that I desire this may not be sufficient. The tank is 12" deep and will be a softie tank with some mini carpet nems. I may have to take the plunge and just get an AI Prime or Kessil A80 and deal with the spot light effect. 

3 minutes ago, JohnTheReefer said:

I might be getting sold on the looks to be honest haha I did notice the wattage per LED was low as well and for the growth rate that I desire this may not be sufficient. The tank is 12" deep and will be a softie tank with some mini carpet nems. I may have to take the plunge and just get an AI Prime! 

With lower watt leds they use more leds where as higher watt leds require less.

Wattage isn't a focal point but par is.

For softies, the light will be fine, even some lps. I don't know what carpet nems require for light.

JohnTheReefer
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

With lower watt leds they use more leds where as higher watt leds require less.

Wattage isn't a focal point but par is.

For softies, the light will be fine, even some lps. I don't know what carpet nems require for light.

That is a good point. I have always wanted a PAR meter to test which light is best for each tank. Maybe it's finally time. 

• 1 month later...
Samtheanimalman

I just purchased this for my 7.5 gallon (12x12x12) cube baby frogfish tank. Will mostly be softies and maybe some LPS. Will update with pictures after I install it. 

blasterman

The general lighting industry in general is moving away from 1-3watt LEDs and towards arrays of smaller LEDs because they are much easier to thermally manage. Aka, no heat sink.

Saying that .5 watt LEDs don't penetrate is like saying you can't grow corals with T5 because they obviously don't penetrate. You can put a lens on anything.

At 30watts this should work fine for softies and LPS on a 10gal. The real unknown is the lenses used. 

Samtheanimalman

So I got the light installed yesterday, so here are my first impressions. I’m using it on a 12” 7.5 gallon Deep Blue rimless cube. 

1) Looks wise, this thing is sexy. Super slim and sleek. 

2) Overall great design, but wish you could adjust and move the light horizontally over the tank without moving it vertically higher above the tank. 

3) The attachment feels very secure, no risk of it falling in the tank, but the light does “wobble” on its attachment point if touched the slightest. 

4) The controller is pretty awesome, once again super sleek and user friendly. I love how you can control the whites, blues, and “special colors” (reds, greens, etc.). They are all independently adjustable for night, dawn, sunrise, midday, sunset, and dusk. Will take some tweaking over the next few days. My only complaint is that you have to scroll through the whole setting category if you miss what you wanted to do ie there is no “back” button. 

Overall happy with the light, love the color adjustability and that there is a controller. This is just a temporary tank for my frogfish while it’s small (plumbed to my 60 gallon cube and sump). I wanted a light that wouldn’t break the bank, was fully controllable and had a timer built in, I really didn't want to buy a separate controller. I have a kessil on my main 60 gallon cube, and considered buying their Tuna Blue for this small tank, but didn’t want to have to buy a controller. Will post pictures today!