Coral Vue Hydros

what is this stuff?

sadie

I don't know what this is, it covers everything.  The only place it's stringy is the output nozzle.  It doesn't seem to effect my coral.

Not sure if it needs to be treated with medicine or just scraped off and do a major water change.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

DSC_1650.JPG

DSC_1652.JPG

DSC_1653.JPG

I can't leave it like this, so I am gonna wing it and just remove everything and scrub them down. I will remove everything in back chambers as well and scrub them too.

My guess it is a bacteria or fungus or some sort.  Scrubbing will help to a point, but you might have some tank parameters that are a bit "off."  I just take my water to the LFS and ask them to test it and the happily do so.  Their test kits are usually newer anyways.  

Are you dosing/feeding heavily?  

I don't really have anything in the tank to feed so, no.  I throw some sinking pellets in for my shrimp and snails, but not much.

What ever it was, it was gross.  It smelled like bad breath and rotten egg.  The weird thing was, it only covered the TOP of everything.  It wasn't under, or inside of anything.  I took my tower our of the back chamber, but it was not on that at all.  I stilled scrubbed it and replaced all the filter media (purigen and  filter floss).

I'm thinking if it is some kind of fungus, it might come back and I will probably have to scrub everything again.  I'm hoping not, and I might do a WC in the middle of the week and see if that helps.

lakshwadeep

Probably "brown slime algae" (one type of cyanobacteria), which are photosynthetic (hence being only on lit surfaces). Probably a symptom of high nutrients, so make sure you're using filtered water (RO/DI or distilled) and also consider adding some macroalgae or other things.

You don't have to be adding nutrients into your tank for algaes to grow on your rocks - if you have live rock or mature rock that wasn't very well cared for, it's going to be loaded with nutrients. As nutrients in your water column go down, the nutrients in the rock are going to move outward from areas of high concentration to low concentration. Algae sitting on the surface of the rock is going to snatch up those nutrients before they ever make it into the water column.

Those algaes are making the nutrients deep in your rock exportable - the algae uses them up and you brush the algae off and siphon it out, exporting those nutrients from the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been about 2 weeks and nothing has come back and my coral are still happy as ever.  I ended up getting sick and didn't do a WC in the middle of the week and everything is still good.  I will get a pic later.  I kinda thought it would come back in a day or two, but no signs of it.  

That was weird.