Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lighting questions and acrylic lid

HingleMcCringleberry

HingleMcCringleberry

Hi all,

First, a huge thank you to everyone on this forum that has been so helpful to me with all the posts I’ve made. Your advice has been crucial as I have been learning more about this hobby. 

I want ant to ask about lighting. A month ago I picked up someone’s used 32 gallon biocube that they had modified. They removed the canopy and replaced it with a mounted vivaspectra led light and a mesh cover. 

Recently ive been looking to change that setup since evaporation has been requiring me to add fresh water to the tank twice daily to maintain salinity. It’s impractical to have to use the RODI machine that often and so I built myself an acrylic cover to replace the mesh lid. 

I want ant to know if this will affect the light that reaches the tank. Does anyone have experience/ is it a good idea to run light through an acrylic panel and still grow healthy corals?

aditionally the light is adjustable and can dim the 10k whites and actinic lights independently and im trying to decide what ratio of the two will be best for growing my corals. A few montipora, some acans, a couple chalices, and Zoas are the corals I’m currently growing. Assuming I have the right placement for each what spectrum of light is ideal to help them grow? More blue or more white? Will the acrylic lid affect how this ratio reaches the corals?

any advice is deeply appreciated!

Yes a full acrylic, glass, or egg crate will cause a bit of loss in light. 

That's why most go open top or mesh lid, plus it's good for gas exchange and temp control 

• Like 1
HingleMcCringleberry
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Yes a full acrylic, glass, or egg crate will cause a bit of loss in light. 

That's why most go open top or mesh lid, plus it's good for gas exchange and temp control 

Any advice on ideal color ratio? Or how to control evaporation without having temperature control problems?

14 minutes ago, HingleMcCringleberry said:

Any advice on ideal color ratio? Or how to control evaporation without having temperature control problems?

I manually top up my 2 tanks twice a day. An Ato is the other option besides closed top.

Evaporation is a method of cooling the tank down. Alot of closed top tanks have the issue of increasing temps